PDA

View Full Version : Node Editor - Sub Surface Scattering (SSS)

HolyMonkey-
10-20-2011, 02:05 AM
Hey,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsurface_scattering

Could any one make an illustrative example of how to put this in use using the node editor? Shader - SSS

What's the difference between the Kappa?

wrench
10-20-2011, 10:14 AM
The difference is that one of its legs is both the same.

B

HolyMonkey-
10-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Alright, but ja still looking for some advice on a practical use for the SSS

wrench
10-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Alabaster, milk and human skin come to mind, and actually you can probably use the Skin node new to 10.1 for all three.

B

RebelHill
10-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Difference between Kappa, and what??

As for the wiki article... are you asking how you would implement those shading models described using nodes??

If so... then I guess you MIGHT be able to construct a shader using just nodes (probs a lot of ryacast and sampling nodes)... but what you cant do is modify the inbuilt SSS nodes to act like the descriptions in the wiki... The Wiki is describing different shading models for producing sss effects, and LWs different sss nodes ARE shading models for sss... maybe amongst them, there are those already functioning in the ways described in the wiki... you'd have to ask the devs really for more in depth info on each particular node if its stuff like that you're wanting to know.

Unless ofc, you're just asking "how can I get sss in LWs node editor?"... which of course is, just plug in one of the sss nodes to your surface, etc.

HolyMonkey-
10-24-2011, 05:07 AM
What I was after was a basic understanding of the actions in the node editor, I am aware of the effects it creates but I quite dont grasp the usage of it.

SS is fair enough, distance and refraction but how do they apply? I know there's a certain value for everything in regards to refrecation.

Then you got SS 2

Forward amount, backward amount. Just seeking for a basic explination to how these apply to your texture. I get the results, I just prefer to know why exactly it gives me that result in regards to the value's I put in.

While we are at it, quickie. Diffuse and color. What is the difference and how do they affect a texture?

I hope these aren't stupid questions, I just want a deeper understanding as to why these node behave like they do :P

wrench
10-24-2011, 05:54 AM
Your best bet is to try it for yourself and see.

B

HolyMonkey-
10-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Your best bet is to try it for yourself and see.

B

I am, and I get a decent result. I just want to understand why instead of guessing in values. :P