PDA

View Full Version : After UV mapping, what?

lreyes
10-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Once I have an object UVed, how do I save it so I can go to photoshop and paint it and bring it back to lightwave...I need know how to save it for photoshop and bring it back. I am using LW 9.6. My tutorial only stops and making a UV map but does not tell how to save it for photoshop and back?

erikals
10-19-2011, 06:33 PM
you could try,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDZtxi54ASo

lreyes
10-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks erikals, but where did you get uv imaginator under texture, I do not have it, is it a plug in, if it is, I do not think I have it?

nickdigital
10-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks erikals, but where did you get uv imaginator under texture, I do not have it, is it a plug in, if it is, I do not think I have it?

It's only for 32 bit though.
http://www.3dcybercorp.com/software/uvimaginator/index.html

lreyes
10-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I have 64 bit...thanks anyway maybe someone else can give me some help

GraphXs
10-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Their is a LW native way, I'll see if I can remember it. I usually just do the not proficient way of print screen, paste, crop, resize.

nickdigital
10-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Plug-ins like this are a good reason to keep the 32 bit version installed. I don't think Modeler benefits from the 64 bit as much as Layout. If you can find Sensei's posts he knows more about this.

If you want to stay on 64 you can try the Export Encapsulated Postscript plug-in. It's native to LightWave so you should already have it.

c5m7b4
10-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Cool, I finally get to help somebody. After you map out your UVs then go to File->Export->Export Encapsuated Postscript. It will prompt you to save the file as an EPS file. Then you can take this into photoshop or Illustrator and then once you are done. Go back into Modeler and at the top of the UV window, the second pulldown will have a load file option. I'm using 10 by the way so I am not sure but I think 9.6 is the same.

GraphXs
10-19-2011, 07:18 PM
File->Export->Export Encapsuated Postscript. Yes, that was it, and 9.6 has it.

paulhart
10-19-2011, 09:40 PM
The EPS answer is the one most helpful for the work flow of 1. Generate UVs in Lightwave, 2. Export EPS, 3. Bring it into Photoshop, specifying the dpi of the image (1024x1024?) as a square, 4. Duplicate (once or twice as needed) the imported Layer and set the Dups to Multiply to get it thick and dark enough, 5. Flatten into one Layer, name it UVs, 6. Build texture Layers below, turning the UV Layer off and on as needed, or set transparency to 50%, 6. Save the Layered file as a PSD, and export each of the Layers separately as individual TIF or PNG files, (Dif/Color, Bump, Spec are the usual), 7. Import each of the separate Layers into Lightwave using the UV as the Map of reference.
Continue to your own preference, serve and enjoy.
Paul

bazsa73
10-20-2011, 05:17 PM
the eps exporter doesn't save subdiv UVs so it's kinda crippled

nickdigital
10-20-2011, 05:46 PM
the eps exporter doesn't save subdiv UVs so it's kinda crippled

SubD UV Preparation script for Lightwave at the bottom of this page.
http://www.clintons3d.com/plugins/lightwave/index.html