PDA

View Full Version : Shadow on Ground plane. HELP

sculptactive
10-19-2011, 10:45 AM
In Layout.

Is there a way to render shadows from an object onto the ground plane, without needing to build a terrain or box object for it to rest on.

Thanks

nickdigital
10-19-2011, 10:45 AM
No, the shadow needs to cast on to something.

sculptactive
10-19-2011, 10:48 AM
No, the shadow needs to cast on to something.

Wow, that was fast, thanks.

I just wondered as in other programs, (like Deep Exploration) a shadow is cast by default.

Sensei
10-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Maybe TrueInfinitePlane is what you need?
http://www.trueart.pl

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/TrueInfinitePlane/Graphics/Small/TrueInfinitePlane_Screen_5.png

lardbros
10-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Wow, that was fast, thanks.

I just wondered as in other programs, (like Deep Exploration) a shadow is cast by default.

The shadow in Deep Exploration is in the viewport by default, but isn't raytraced or as nice as LW's ones, it's just a real-time viewport shadow. The renders in Deep Exploration aren't quite as quick, or as great looking as the Lightwave renders, especially if you have an idea of what you're doing in Lightwave.

The easiest way to create a ground, is to go to Modeller... create a ground-plane that will pretty much encompass most models, and then save this as a separate model... now, every time you bring a model into Layout to render, just load in your ground plane object! :D

sculptactive
10-20-2011, 04:38 AM
Maybe TrueInfinitePlane is what you need?
http://www.trueart.pl

Thanks for the tip, but no more 32bit plugins for me no matter how good they are.

The shadow in Deep Exploration is in the viewport by default, but isn't raytraced. The easiest way to create a ground, is to go to ModellerD

Yes I agree but, the effect I currently need is the same as the DE renders, ie, shadow, but no ground or sky, just plane white. To get the same effect in LW I usually make a curved ground plane, but that always gives some small colour gradient in the background between the ground and the sky.

MUCUS
10-20-2011, 04:57 AM
Have you think about matte your ground plane with shadow density as alpha channel? (Indeed you'll have post work but the result will be nice)

Otherwise, if you're using distant light or dpinfinite (which is 64bit too!) , set the ground plane to white and give it a high diffuse sharpness value, you'll have your object, shadows, and white plane.

The reason to use distant or infinite over other lights is to prevent the small colour gradient in the background.

Does that helps?

Sensei
10-20-2011, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the tip, but no more 32bit plugins for me no matter how good they are.

Who said it's 32 bit only?

It has 64 bit version.

lardbros
10-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Yes I agree but, the effect I currently need is the same as the DE renders, ie, shadow, but no ground or sky, just plane white. To get the same effect in LW I usually make a curved ground plane, but that always gives some small colour gradient in the background between the ground and the sky.

Ah, I see what you're after now... always more clear with a little more detail!

I have an idea how you can do this... using a shadow catcher node setup on your ground plane. The shadows will be there, but then the rest of the plane will be transparent, and show your backdrop image or colour!

When I get home tonight I'll show you how a shadow catcher node setup can work, or have a search in these forums, I think Blochi has threads on it somewhere! :D

sculptactive
10-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Have you think about matte your ground plane with shadow density as alpha channel? The reason to use distant or infinite over other lights is to prevent the small colour gradient in the background.

Does that helps?

MUCUS. Yes it does. Thanks for sharing and the explanation.

Who said it's 32 bit only?

Just reading straight from your website. I guess I mistook minimum requirement to mean there was no 64bit.
Thanks for letting me know.

Requirements
Minimum Windows Requirements

LightWave v9.5+
Pentium or better
Windows 32 bit

sculptactive
10-20-2011, 07:09 AM
Ah, I see what you're after now...

When I get home tonight I'll show you how a shadow catcher node setup can work, or have a search in these forums, I think Blochi has threads on it somewhere! :D

Sound great.