PDA

View Full Version : Setting a models heigth?

Paul_Boland
10-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi Folks.

There's one part of working in Lightwave that I've never been able to master and that's modelling objects at the size I want them. I grew up in 3D with TrueSpace which did not have real world dimensions (not that I'm aware of and I used it through all seven versions of its life cycle). In TrueSpace I would model something to look right and then scale to get the size I wanted. It worked every time, no problems.

This is the way I work in Lightwave too but there are times which it would be easier if I could set the height of an object to a specific value. This way if I have a bunch of character models and I want them all the same heigth I don't have to be scaling them up and down to get the size I want, I could just click a button and presto, I have it.

Is this possible?

Is it possible to take a finished model, rigged, textured, the works, and then just click a button, specify a heigth and bingo, that's what I get?

BlueApple
10-18-2011, 08:51 PM
I don't believe there is a native one-click solution to what you want.

What I do is make a junk box in a new layer at the height I want (ex: 5' 8"). Then I set the junk box as the background layer, my character as the foreground, and eyeball the whole thing.

Real way to do it- write a script. I would think you could do the following...

Get length L1 along the Y axis of your character layer.
Enter the desired end length L2 of your character.
Uniformly scale character layer by (L2/L1).

If you want a pretty dialog box you'll need to write a UI, or beg one of the many talented/generous/attractive coders lurking in the forums to do it for you.

Good luck.

Maxx
10-18-2011, 10:03 PM
What I do is make a junk box in a new layer at the height I want (ex: 5' 8"). Then I set the junk box as the background layer, my character as the foreground, and eyeball the whole thing.

That's what I do, too. I'll - for the most part -try to model to scale, but sometimes I just make things up and then scale - that's when the background box comes in incredibly handy...

Cryonic
10-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Easier way. Take advantage of the math that the inputs can do. Select all your layers and just resize the object by doing "Height Desired" / "Height of Object" * 100. Use the action center origin or selection to get it to scale right.

nickdigital
10-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Is this what you want?
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=68388&highlight=set+scale

curious
10-19-2011, 02:48 AM
i dont know how to do it for rigged geometry but theres a modeler tool called "Absolute Size" that does this sort of thing.

Modify / Transform / More / Absolute Size

it has some options to set the action centre ect.
if you choose "Values : Locked" and give "Reference : Absolute" you can type in a Y size any press OK.
Z and X will resize in the right in proportion then.
or any other axis ofc ...

i actually am not sure if this is what youre lookin for at all i jsut mention it because i myself only learned about this tool recently.

biliousfrog
10-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Matt's distance scale has a perminent button in my modeler, makes working with CAD data much easier...select 2 points, enter distance and it's done.

If you're modelling in LW just model to scale in the first place. You can put reference models in a BG layer if required. As long as you have the numeric window open you can specify the size of any primitives or just look at the bottom-left of the screen to see sizes in realtime.

safetyman
10-19-2011, 05:25 AM
i dont know how to do it for rigged geometry but theres a modeler tool called "Absolute Size" that does this sort of thing.

Modify / Transform / More / Absolute Size

it has some options to set the action centre ect.
if you choose "Values : Locked" and give "Reference : Absolute" you can type in a Y size any press OK.
Z and X will resize in the right in proportion then.
or any other axis ofc ...

i actually am not sure if this is what youre lookin for at all i jsut mention it because i myself only learned about this tool recently.

This is the method that I use. I have the Absolute Size button always available at the top left right below the help menu button.

BlueApple
10-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Of course, Matt has already made a tool for this.
Easily one of the generous and talented folks I was referring to in my post. :)

colkai
10-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Pretty sure there is a Pictrix plugin for handling this as well.
Personally, I always modelled based on real world dimensions, push comes to shove, build a bounding box of the size you want and just scale accordingly until the object fits in it's "proper size". :)

Paul_Boland
10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Folks. The background bounding box idea is one I use too. Thanks for the info about the different tools and maths-ways to achieve this, I'll take a look at them all.