PDA

View Full Version : Trans-Lux FairPlay LiveText Connection

mokeefe
10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
I'd like to try and get our Trans-Lux Fair-Play scoreboard system to talk to the LiveText V2 via the DataLink connection. I see support for it in the LiveText software but don't see any info on making the physical connection. We use an MP-70 controller for the scoreboard and it has 2 DB9 connectors on the back -- a female connector labeled "Handswitch" and a male connector labeled RS-232. I'm presuming we connect the PC to the RS-232 connector. Since I'll be using a USB to RS-232 convertor, which is also male DB9, do I use a straight through DB9 female to female cable or do I need a null modem adapter in between to flip receive and transmit lines? I'd be interested to hear from Newtek or anyone who has made this work. Thanks.

-Mike

LTTV
10-19-2011, 10:47 AM
It is not an easy task to get a fair play to talk to your Live Text, well at least in my experience, unless I think only if your doing Football, Yes you need a null modem cable, Fair Play has software that works with Live Text that reads all the different variations they have for each sport, we use it all the time and it works great. The MP-70 controller needs to be at least version 2.25 I think to work.

So we boot up our computer, plug in our USB to Serial adapter cable with null modum, then start teh MP-70 software, then plug into the MP-70 Controller, Then you will need to save the files the MP-70 software makes into a specific folder, which I think you go to the Live Text folder in Program Files, then to Live Text, then to the folder labled TEXT Input or something like that, (I don't have the computer we use in front of me at the moment) then open Live Text and then if you right click in the page you are wanting to use, it appears as a drop down menu item.

But that's how we got it to work with our system, call Trans Lux and buy the program, you won't regret it, it has been discussed in the forums here somewhere

LTTV
10-19-2011, 10:49 AM
forgot to mention we use a seperate Laptop to make all this work, you can't run it on the actual Tricaster

mokeefe
10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks LTTV,

We are in fact trying to make this work with the football scoreboard (although I suppose we might like to do other sports eventually). I got the impression from reading the V2 LiveText manual that this could be accomplished via DataLink and a just a serial cable (i.e. no extra third-party software). Of course the manual is pretty sparse on the details so that might not be completely accurate. Maybe I'll test it with the football setup and see if it works. If we decide to try other sports the Trans-Lux app may be necessary. BTW, can you give me a ballpark on the cost of that app from Trans-Lux?

-Mike

LTTV
10-20-2011, 10:53 AM
we paid $500 for like 5 sports to start with, you can get only one sport if you want or whatever sport you need that they support, the program will will work Live Text no matter what

WileyotGrove
10-21-2011, 08:57 AM
First of all the path where the files need to go is: TriCaster\Stats Plugins\Text Input. The Filename is only useful to identify which sport is contained in the file BUT the extension MUST BE .TXT.

The current sports covered by the MP70toFile program are: Baseball, Basketball, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, and Volleyball. There is a separate Clock file created by sports that require a game clock.

SportsJunkie
10-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Once you launch MP70toFile, make sure to:

1. Confirm that the PC can "see" the MP 70 controller on whichever com port it's conected to.

2. You actually "create" the TXT files on the LT PC.

You don't need anything other than MP70toFile from Fair-Play, a serial cable and LiveText v2.0.

Obviously you'll have to create you templates within LT or you could simply buy Kris Currad's templates. They smoke!