PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 11 idle speculation thread

littlewaves
10-18-2011, 04:30 AM
Couldn't find a general thread for this purpose so thought I'd start one.

what do you reckon will be the shiny new features of LW11?

Dynamics re-write?
Overhaul of CA tools?
Hypervoxels 4?

what are your best hopes and predictions?

What is LW currently missing that would give it a fighting chance again against the Autodesk empire and keep it in the game after the Core disappointment.

Andy Meyer
10-18-2011, 04:56 AM
some voices told that we should not expect too much like unified app.
the whole renewal of LW surely will happen step by step. many things require unified app first. so real progress will take some time.
i hope to see some progress in the renderer. the LW renderer is the best part of LW. it should be the easiest way to give LW more value if the renderer will get better.
- renderer update for subpoly displacement, bucked or something.
- optimizations for blurry reflections and refractions
- optimizations for GI, new GI methods (like kray, vray)
- optimizations for caustics
- renderer and layout should support 100% pixar CC as a third SubD method only for layout to allow us to use CC meshes from modo and AD apps. this would expand the exchange ability for 3d data.
(i dont expect modeler getting updated coz i think there will be a complete rewrite of modeler for unified app)
- maybe we can have a first draw of parametric objects in layout (splines) and some basic stack functions.
- ptex texture mapping, maybe layout only.
i also see much potetial in workflow updates like render pass manager and a new preset system and new, really good and production ready presets. that could be done today, no reason to wait!

probiner
10-18-2011, 05:23 AM
- renderer and layout should support 100% pixar CC as a third SubD method only for layout to allow us to use CC meshes from modo and AD apps. this would expand the exchange ability for 3d data.

first I was going http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/o/onfire.gif

then you said only layout was going to get some love and I :ohmy:

Anyway they sound like very nice features, especially render wise.

alexs3d
10-18-2011, 06:28 AM
hmm, i think they will introduce GOZ for Lightwave, a better and faster VPR, some modeler love and some mockups or ideas how layout and modeler will or can be integrated :)

no fluids because of the turbuelence plugin
no dynamics because of the coming soon dynamics plugin from hurley

motivalex
10-18-2011, 06:28 AM
The November meeting/annoucement is going to be very important for Newtek and their customers future.

For starters:

I want Modeller updated out of the 90s.
History stack.
Instancing.
Decent modern render pass management built in.
Modern dynamics system.
Major update of Hypervoxels or an equiv new modern replacement built in.
Nodes used everywhere.
Continued render improvements.

and the list goes on, plus well thought out integration of all the tools.

erikals
10-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Modeler tools in Layout.

(how many? no idea)

geo_n
10-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Deepak Chopra - Want to Be Happy? Leave Your Expectations Behind

bazsa73
10-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Spline ik!

Paul_Boland
10-18-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm still hurting over the whole Lightwave 10 disaster and I'm not ready for Lightwave 11. If indeed that's where things are heading in November then it would take a LOT to make me splash out again for the upgrade. Getting the Bullet Physics in would be a step in the right direction for me.

Andy Meyer
10-18-2011, 07:54 AM
first I was going http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/o/onfire.gif

then you said only layout was going to get some love and I :ohmy:

Anyway they sound like very nice features, especially render wise.

well, i just try to be realistic. it will take many years to update LW.
the only way to keep users on board, imho, is to make everthing that the renderer does not get outdated too. once the renderer is updated they can start selling new features like instancing, subpoly displacement, ptex, distributed VPR... this could keep LW alive until they finished the big update or rewrite.

Mitja
10-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Modeler tools in Layout.

(how many? no idea)

Teapots! Teapots for everybody!!!

colkai
10-18-2011, 08:41 AM
(i dont expect modeler getting updated coz i think there will be a complete rewrite of modeler for unified app)

I hope you're dead wrong about that, it's been far too long stagnating in the development stakes. As it stands, I doubt we can surmise anything about what LW11 is likely to be as for sure, what LW10 turned out to be, as opposed to what it was trumpeted at the start, couldn't of been any more different.

Until Newtek give a solid indication of what it will DEFINITELY be, any statements made by anyone, including Newtek, must be viewed as pure supposition and thus, kinda pointless.

(Though ya, my money would indeed be on yet another Layout-centric update, given the history of focus on the product for the last 5 years or so).

-EsHrA-
10-18-2011, 08:46 AM
pancakes!

bazsa73
10-18-2011, 09:35 AM
I want more! More pancakes plus rounder and instances. And a strawberry jam generator.

MUCUS
10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
I have several things that I'm waiting in LW future development:

Rendering:
-updated render engine (photon mapping ect...) ala Kray, Vray (Well indeed all that Andy ask for, even
if realistic render engine shouldn't even be on newtek list for now)
-Easy render pass (occlusion, obj/surf ID, depth ...) supporting LW antialiasing.

Modeler:
-Instancing
-objects painting
-surface/deformation painting
-dwg direct import

Layout:
-Bullet physics
-Updated Bone/Deformation system
-Tension between hypervoxels ala Realflow (is that really such a big deal?)

and, just before the pancakes, goz for Lightwave!

erikals
10-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Tension between hypervoxels ala Realflow (is that really such a big deal?)

...from what Mr. Rid said, it should be easy according to a programer at NT, so hope to see it soon, it would be a huuge improvement :]

(as for the 1 mill particle limit, blend several emitters, they blend nice, tested it...)

 

monovich
10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm not even excited for November, but I hope when November comes it'll bring along something to get excited about.

bazsa73
10-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I would like to see:
-instances in layout
-render pass management
-flicker free and fast GI solution
-reliable dynamics
-updated Hypervoxels

speismonqui
10-18-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm not that greedy so here it is:
- Enhaced modeler layers (constraint to backdrop, background layer shading modes ala Modo).
- Beeing able to load a LW9/10/10.1 file and don't get layout corrupted (Color space disaster).

Greedy mode: ALL of the above posted.

** If LW suddently comes with some new and exciting feature called "pancakes", we all should get pancakes tattooed on our foreheads :) **

Hopper
10-18-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm all for a continuous stream of 10.1.xxx updates for now. I haven't gotten anything out of the v10 upgrade yet, so another upgrade "donation" to NT for v11 might just put me out of LW for good. Not that I contribute a ton of help here (other than pointless humor), but I would be sad to have to take the forum link off my quick bar.

Clemens
10-18-2011, 05:02 PM
If it's going to be Lightwave 11, i would expect that every former hardcore member get's it for free. We surely deserve it.
Pixologic is also able to deliver every single awesome update for free since several BIG updates.
Newtek is a big company and has other divisions like Tricaster that are running pretty good. They should focus on the product again, and making customers happy. That's the way software development is done today and thats also the reason why many small companies see there chance in getting some venture capital and building something big out of nothing. If Newtek can't afford such a policy, they should look for an investor. They have big potential. Lightwave has big potential. But they shouldn't have to focus on sales. At the moment it's more important to make the product big again, so that every one of us gets the features to get work done in modern 3D enviroments.

jrjohannes
10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Classics never get old. I've had the same Legos forever and there's always some new way of putting them together. Basically, they'll always be cool. And so will LightWave if it stays "LightWave." There's alot to be said for Text-Based Tools, Panels and the Renderer etc... "If it's not broke don't fix it" kinda thing! There's always a need to add Tools which might speed up productivity but then you must have a product to begin with. In other words if you have a good solid concept, story or idea, then LightWave is the Tool to helping you Execute or Implement that idea. And IT DOES SO AMAZINGLY ALREADY!

3D software should not only fit within the CG/CGI Workflow but also within those traditional Disciplines that inspired the software in the first place...

A great concept can be beautifully executed in black ink on white paper.

IMHO,
Jason

Andy Meyer
10-18-2011, 06:00 PM
I hope you're dead wrong about that, it's been far too long stagnating in the development stakes.

i would welcome to be wrong, but i guess i'm not.
there was no major update of modeler for 5 years? 10 years? i dont know. why should they update modeler right before they start unified app?

modeler is ok for basic modeling jobs, i work every day with modeler. it is outdated, it has many bugs and tools that work not correct, it is slow, but it works for me any many others to do many or most jobs. for more complex stuff lot of artists work with other tools. a moderate modeler update would not add much value to LW. i dont say i would not like it, but NT can invest on other working sites with more return.

maybe NT should focus layout based modeling tools, stack and parametric objects. coupled with basic poly modeling tools to do basic modeling in layout (right done, it does not need that much tools for most modeling tasks). for hardcore poly modeling LW should find a way to easily and perfectly work together with modo, zbrush, moodbox and others. why not outsource hardcore poly modeling? NT can not make everything at once. c4d is a good example. it has very good "stack like" modifiers, cool parametric stuff and most basic poly tools. but it is not a state of the art modeler. i think that is a good compromise.

i think its unrealistic to expect state of the art modeling in layout with fast gigapoly engine and new unseen tools for some years.

once we have basic modeling in layout, all animatable, with a good new engine that can be node driven, users and 3rd party devs could do friggin stuff while NT can focus on more important stuff.

jrjohannes
10-18-2011, 06:51 PM
3D software should not only fit within the CG/CGI Workflow but also within those traditional Disciplines that inspired the software in the first place.

I should elaborate, one way true innovations in LightWave can take place is by BETTER bridging the gap between its place within a Pipeline/Workflow and the other disciplines it supports. For example, a traditional artist who wants to create realistic still-life renders would benefit from paint tools. Animators would benefit from a 2D pane where he/she draws a Motion Path and Tic Marks then LightWave simply places that Motion Path with Tic Marks into 3D space. Story Tellers/Film Makers might need Storyboarding Tools and Composite/Editing capabilities.

Jason

Paul_Boland
10-18-2011, 08:02 PM
If it's going to be Lightwave 11, i would expect that every former hardcore member get's it for free. We surely deserve it.

I agree. It would help to CONSIDERABLY ease the sting of the Lightwave 10 fiasco. Since the whole Lightwave 10 collapse, my use of the software has seriously been hindered as my enjoyment of it is seriously hampered. Getting (at least) Lightwave 11 for free would help to put a smile back on my face and fire up my 3D enjoyment again. Seriously, if we're asked to pay for Lightwave 11 and it is Lightwave 11 that's announced next month, I'll have to first give it very serious consideration given when happened with Lightwave 10, and second I'll have to see how I'm fixed financially because it's not an upgrade I think I can afford :(.

Maxx
10-18-2011, 09:58 PM
What I would love to see (in no particular order) -

Native instancing in Layout.
Native Render Layers.
Consolidation of modeling tools.
Modeler that can handle millions+ polygon models.
CC sub-d's that actually work.
Unification of the two applications.
Dynamics that work without hours of wonky fiddling.
Caustics. (No, really, I'm not kidding).
An open and understandable API.
Bucket rendering.
Sub-pixel displacement.
Native vector render output.

What I expect to see...

Enhanced VPR.

What I wouldn't be surprised to see...

Eagle in a Barrel 2.0.
Lenscap 2.0.
Enhanced VPR.

erikals
10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Lattice

Maxx
10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Lattice

Add Lattice Deformation to the first portion of the post above...

GraphXs
10-18-2011, 10:50 PM
The return of eagle-in-barrel!

Nemoid
10-19-2011, 12:55 AM
I think what they will mainly do is enhance rendering power to put it on par with Modo, and other apps so enhanced VPR is for sure, and also bucket technology would help alot, maybe to bring to VPR the power to work more like fprime and resume renders as well.

Other things that they could enhance could be related to CA, allowing a better performance of the app with more than one character per scene, and better rigging creation/management.

another thing they could furtherly enhance is working well with other apps (i think they should take a look to Zbrush and GoZ, as this could be very attractive for old and new users)

A good thing would be introducing the dynamics bullet based we saw for CORE.

Surely i don't expect major bells and whistles updates to modeler, just because IF Lw is actually going towards a Layout + Modeler integration, modeling tools will find place in Layout, and with a productive workflow as well, but this can only happen in time.
I think what modeler could have now is some consolidation, or getting rid of reduntant tools, but nothing really major.

Lewis
10-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Interesting thoughts/expectations here.

MUCUS
10-19-2011, 04:12 AM
When I read this, I think that enhanced VPR / Render should be the one to bet on for v11...hopefully enhanced won't just mean "bug fixes" :)

About bullet physic well they already work on it so I guess it's a matter of time until we get this in Layout.

Old core videos showed deformation painting + millions polygons support without lags while working, so again it will be crazy to drop such a technology...The question is will we be able to use this in v11 or later?

Anyway, I'm glad that Newtek stops communicate about next version until they have something ready to use :)

PS: Sensei, of course we could instance in Layout, but I won't say that it is as easily as carbon scatter or vray scatter. Somethings ready to use and user friendly would be nice. (Instances based on surface/mesh, allowing to populate using greyscale maps or weighmaps with multi-objects as instances ect)

UnCommonGrafx
10-19-2011, 04:59 AM
Instancing is there.
It's in fiberfx.

No, it's not what you want. In instancing, that is, but instancing is there.

Technicalities, technicalities...

Sensei
10-19-2011, 05:37 AM
I have never used FiberFX "instancing".. Even forgot its existence.. ;)

50one
10-19-2011, 05:40 AM
Just spoke to a guy that is in Beta, the bucket renderer & micropoly displacement is confirmed in v.11:D

Lewis
10-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Just spoke to a guy that is in Beta, the bucket renderer & micropoly displacement is confirmed in v.11:D

Cool, ask him more, this info looks interesting :).

50one
10-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Cool, ask him more, this info looks interesting .

Dude, I wish I could but after the he mentioned bucket renderer...I've woken up...

Lewis
10-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Dude, I wish I could but after the he mentioned bucket renderer...I've woken up...

But, but tell him we need to know more :)

dee
10-19-2011, 06:27 AM
But, but tell him we need to know more :)

I talked a bit longer to him, he said we will get an amazing new SSS node material for superfast rendering of finger nails and horny skin. Works also with radiosity.:)

GandB
10-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Are they going to announce that the website is fixed in November? ;)

Andy Meyer
10-19-2011, 07:00 AM
new Icons! :D

battery555
10-19-2011, 07:51 AM
I still stick with lightwave because of its ease of use render. IHMO to stay relevant for the next few years is to built what its already good renderer to aka Vray type. In terms of other stuffs is still a far cry from other packages.

bazsa73
10-19-2011, 08:34 AM
I want a feature which enables me to save the aborted render.

MUCUS
10-19-2011, 10:37 AM
And the world famous "make beautiful 3D" button :)

prometheus
10-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Silly notes...
Pancakes creator

Serious fixes..
Make Lw 10.1 compatible with the dynamite plugin( 10.0 works so 10.1 was a step back in that regards.)

A tool to work out issues with 10.0 scene color configs and scene files.

Dreaming of..
A new hypervoxels system wich steals the best from the dynamite plugin, and that will solve the above issue of serious fixes.

New volumetric object handlers to work with or work internally in lightwave for painting sculpting or converting meshes to true volumetric objects.

A new sky/environment system ..saying goodbye to skytracer..look deeper in to ogo taiki and evolve it to a better system than vue or ozone.

A fluid liquid system.

Expecting..

Bullit dynamics or even better stuff, since we were promised that for core.

A fracture tool..wich doesn´t exist natively..Still.

Improvements to VPR.

Better fiber fx hair styling.

Particles...
improved particle system ala thinking particles, driving particles with nodes.
Drawing of particle paths instead or complement to that of the wind path tool, with direct control of scaling segments of that particle path.
Removal of the 1000 000 limit, or should we call it extension of particle amount?

Modeling...
Improve the bend tool to allow for an accurate constrain bend.
Add some modeling tools to layout.

Ui...
sketch color with unlimited range to choose from instead of those few we have today.
Docking and expanding floating panels.

Import/ export...
Improve the eps importer to accept later illustrator files from cs3 and later perhaps...
Illustrator 8 is a little old and Always confuse people working with it, not understanding that they need to export to the 8 format.

Collada..
It sucks importing daz figures.
It sucks importing sketchup.
Harness peoples possibilities to utilize these free tools and work on it.

Michael

erikals
10-19-2011, 01:20 PM
mini-wish,

easy Edge depth thickness would be nice, instead of...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhx8xZKRIZs

 

Snosrap
10-19-2011, 09:20 PM
I would hate to see modeling tools in Layout. That would probably suck. What I would like to see is a completely revamped Modeler with rendering and animation slowly being added to that.

SBowie
10-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I would hate to see modeling tools in Layout.Here ... we ... go ...

[http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMeEEFsUh7Lnq6ptdG_B-K2UIN1UtgNF08wecSUfzLG_YI1gZ0pw

Snosrap
10-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Here ... we ... go ...
App unification - yes. Layout as the foundation -no. To a certain extent Layout is more of a mess than Modeler.

littlewaves
10-20-2011, 05:07 AM
App unification - yes. Layout as the foundation -no. To a certain extent Layout is more of a mess than Modeler.

Ah but it's a mess in progress whereas modeler is just a dusty old stagnant mess!

moussepipi2000
10-20-2011, 05:19 AM
start layout in quad view mode then you have a modeler!

littlewaves
10-20-2011, 05:25 AM
no you don't

moussepipi2000
10-20-2011, 06:18 AM
ok littlewaves.

here my speculation.

-bucket renderer

-micropoly displace

- fast, easy, not memory consuming painting and sculpting, i think its one of the tool i need. need to be integrated unless i dont have to make uv, paibt on other app, resend. goz will help on the sculpt part but not on the paint part because of the poly paint restriction.

-better GI / caustics for glass shot! i have lot here!

- rethink ing the rigging. to hard to setup. dont follow the standard. just create something more simple! see the zbrush rigging zetup. just 0 zetup for basic task. just excellent.

-bullet physics.

- node based particle + new hv engine.

Andrewstopheles
10-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Here's what I would like to see:
Consolidated Modeling Tools in Modeler
Modeler/Layout Integration
Bullet Dynamics
Preset vector shapes, paths , motions, rigs, lighting setups, starting shapes

erikals
10-20-2011, 08:54 AM
I would hate to see modeling tools in Layout. That would probably suck....

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/tanuki-kage/Emoticons/th_smack_poke.gif

50one
10-20-2011, 09:20 AM
I don't give a FF about new tools, what I would like to see is stability of existing tools, Renderer performance similar to VRAY with all bells and whistles(Nice GI/Lights/Surfaces)(render time instances) and output layers(surface ID that works), to me that could be LW11, I'm not an animator so I don't need sophisticated CA tools.....But we will get pancakes anyway:)

erikals
10-20-2011, 09:22 AM
looks like quite a lot of wavers are getting super LW renders by using the new options in LW10...

50one
10-20-2011, 09:44 AM
.....pics or it didn't happen...

robertoortiz
10-20-2011, 12:08 PM
I think honestly we all should just
wait to see what they want to talk about.
Keep expectations in check and be frank about this.
Speculation in the past (for good reasons) has lead us in the past into blind alleys......

BUT If I had only one wish is to see a FULL INTEGRATION of Modeler and Layout. That is the biggie for me.

fazi69
10-20-2011, 12:08 PM
I must say that new lightwave will be important to me. If it will be a disapointment like last few versions it will be time to say goodbye to newtek for me. Sorry but with every year I feel it is more and more outdated. Last versions don`t even have content :-) For years even surface presets stay the same ... New features looks and feels like second class plugins added in the last minute with no buttons added to GUI( you must search them and add by yourself).
So Newtek ... last chance in my case. We have only 3 copies but still I was faithful for years ( amiga times and version 3.5 ).

robertoortiz
10-20-2011, 12:13 PM
One thing I can attest is that, from Pob Powers down to the developers, they are quite aware how important the next release is for their company.

And they are right now working QUITE HARD for the upcoming presentation.

HAVING SAID THAT...

I strongly suggest that we should manage our expectations.

littlewaves
10-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Speculation in the past (for good reasons) has lead us in the past into blind alleys......

I don't think we were lead into blind alleys so much by our own speculation as by Newtek's own overly optimistic press releases. (they claim to have learnt their lesson. Time will tell)

I really only started this thread out of curiosity. I don't think anyone should hold out too much hope that many of the things people have mentioned WILL be included. I was just curious what other people thought Newtek MIGHT come up with this time.

I'm sort of assuming the November event will shed some light on the future of lightwave. Then again it could be another "Hey we tweaked VPR a little bit more again"

robertoortiz
10-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't think we were lead into blind alleys so much by our own speculation as by Newtek's own overly optimistic press releases. (they claim to have learnt their lesson. Time will tell)
"

Thus the (Good Reasons) part. I say lets just wait for the presentation and react accordingly to what they present. If we need to throw them into a bonfire I will gladly bring the marshmallows.

erikals
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
.....pics or it didn't happen...

LW exterior render...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9oD1hZCMM

LW interior render...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=119729
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=122071

other LW renders from Gerardo,...

 

calilifestyle
10-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I have to ask what presentation is everyone talking about. I click on events and calender and those links are broken, so i can't see why things will change. also if it's in Socal how can i attend

50one
10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
LW exterior render...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9oD1hZCMM

LW interior render...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=119729
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=122071

other LW renders from Gerardo,...

Haha, thanks, I knew you will post images from Gerardo, Iain, Otacon....:)

Anyway, that Batman tumbler hasn't been done in 10.0 If I remember clearly...My point is there are three or four people that can truly harness what they've got and one of them is nodes Einstein
I'm just asking for a decent(fast) blurry reflections/refractions, better AA, subpoly disp, bucket rendering, that's it:D

colkai
10-20-2011, 01:47 PM
...they are right now working QUITE HARD for the upcoming presentation.

HAVING SAID THAT...

I think anyone who doesn't do is going to be dissapointed, history as they say, speaks for itself.

colkai
10-20-2011, 01:48 PM

yeah, but surely that borders on "cheating"? :p
I mean, what about renders from mere mortals like ourselves? :D

stiff paper
10-20-2011, 02:11 PM
...there are three or four people that can truly harness what they've got...

Oh, don't exaggerate. There are at least six people.

erikals
10-20-2011, 02:21 PM
well, i've seen plenty Crap Vray renders, but they of course are never highlighted.

there might be only 6 people that can make those kind of renders, but that doesn't mean Lightwave's render is bad.
(we are just simply not good at making realistic renders)

work hard to get there, it's the only way... (for now at least)

50one
10-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Oh, don't exaggerate. There are at least six people.
Hehe, there are exactly six people I'm thinking of in terms of being lighting/shading experts..:)

work hard to get there, it's the only way... (for now at least)

I will, promise!;)Gonna be quiet now....

.....Ok, so at least I want that performance of XSI viewport(yes XSI, you've heard me, it was and always will be XSI, in your face you bad Autodesk!.)

erikals
10-20-2011, 03:01 PM
ex-SI

zarti
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
One thing I can attest is that, from Pob Powers down to the developers, they are quite aware how important the next release is for their company.

And they are right now working QUITE HARD for the upcoming presentation.

agree . thats their Last Card .

HAVING SAID THAT...

do not agree . they just have to dismantle Core ( where most of expectations were and will be ) .

i expect a lot since i ve been expecting those for 3 years , everyday on HC-Sect .

but sincerely ; i wish good luck to them !

Andy Meyer
10-20-2011, 04:03 PM

what does that mean?
customers should not ask for value and improvements, pay the bill and shut up?
maybe i understand you wrong, my english is very poor.

erikals
10-20-2011, 04:22 PM

in addition to, http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1189586&postcount=67

SvenArt,
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=1187062#post1187062

study this GI setup, might help u out...
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=940475&postcount=212

for some AA issues like thin lines you might have to use this trick,
(the Babylon trick)
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=990366&postcount=23
(for over-bright lines that don't AA properly, try turning on Limit Dynamic Range, in the render panel)

and of course,... Gamma correction,...
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1181793&postcount=6

for post work, check Gerardo's SG_CCTools thread,
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=5&t=617417
also check Alex Roman's videos where he shows some post work,
http://vimeo.com/15630517

just one more thing, realistic reflection blur,...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=104365

(...and don't forget to add a hint of AO in post)

(btw, VPR is helpful for exterior renders, not that much for interior renders, as interiors need heavy computing)

Good Luck! http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/lwicon.gifhttp://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/lightwave_rocks.gif

erikals
10-20-2011, 04:24 PM
but more importantly, and this comes before anything else
(because i say so and am nice and help people and stuff... and want to save the world...)

add my icons,...
http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php.htm

 

calilifestyle
10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
I find it hard to say it's speculation. After all we know what Core was going to be. So if NT said Core will become Lightwave. It's just a mater of figuring out which one of those points from the core pdf will be included in next revision. I guess that the speculation part.

so if we have 2 items from core how many more items will be added in 11 is the question.

cresshead
10-20-2011, 04:41 PM
the thread title needs editing there's an error it should read:

Lightwave 10.6 idle speculation thread

speismonqui
10-20-2011, 05:09 PM

Quite amusing, enjoyable. let's just keep it faster and easier.

oh! and friendly.

jameswillmott
10-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I...that even I can make jaw-dropping images without actually doing any work. Speed.... fast.

That's about it.

Great post! :D

Ernest
10-20-2011, 07:31 PM

You were asking for mind-blowing images and you knew that he'd post images from mind-blowing artists?

Wow! You're good! I was totally expecting him to post images from terrible artists with no-talent. :D

erikals
10-20-2011, 08:01 PM
well, i DID consider it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

50one
10-21-2011, 02:20 AM
well, i DID consider it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

That's maya, maya is good for animating bears.

in addition to, http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=67

SvenArt,
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....62#post1187062

study this GI setup, might help u out...
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=212

for some AA issues like thin lines you might have to use this trick,
(the Babylon trick)
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=23
(for over-bright lines that don't AA properly, try turning on Limit Dynamic Range, in the render panel)

and of course,... Gamma correction,...
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.ph...93&postcount=6

for post work, check Gerardo's SG_CCTools thread,
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=5&t=617417
also check Alex Roman's videos where he shows some post work,
http://vimeo.com/15630517

just one more thing, realistic reflection blur,...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=104365

(...and don't forget to add a hint of AO in post)

(btw, VPR is helpful for exterior renders, not that much for interior renders, as interiors need heavy computing)

Cheers for the links!.......Tricks, tricks, lots of tricks, why I just can't hit F9 and forget about tricks to get the proper blurry reflections? I've been using the microbump trick since ages:) I know how much Post pro can help as it's mostly what I'm doing these days, I'm using LW for paintovers, but trying to dive more into proper '3D'.

littlewaves
10-21-2011, 03:19 AM
the thread title needs editing there's an error it should read:

Lightwave 10.6 idle speculation thread

I speculate there won't be a 10.6

But maybe you know something I don't?

robertoortiz
10-21-2011, 04:45 AM
what does that mean?
customers should not ask for value and improvements, pay the bill and shut up?
maybe i understand you wrong, my english is very poor.

It meas that each of us has very specific and real needs for LW.
And that there is NO WAY that every thing that needs to be fixed/updated in LW can be covered.
For example, I have big issues with the NPR rendering capabilities of LW (They re one generation behind the curve) and character animation toolsets (they are stuck in the 90's).

Anyway there will be a BIG LW meeting IN LA this weekend..
I would consider that meeting a preview:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123088

Andy Meyer
10-21-2011, 05:04 AM
And that there is NO WAY that every thing that needs to be fixed/updated in LW can be covered.

yup, agreed.
i badly hope they will show real progress this time!

erikals
10-21-2011, 08:34 AM
though somewhat limited VPR, and LCS, these features are real progress...

IMI
10-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Are they going to announce that the website is fixed in November? ;)

Possibly, but I think you have to be in the WebCORE program and it will only be available to the WC forum for a few years until they just cancel it and restore the old database. :D

Kidding aside, I have no idea what to expect from LW anymore, none whatsoever, but I'm hoping for the best.
Add me to the list of those really really really counting on some major Modeler enhancements. Like being able to manipulate an object quickly that has more than 100 polygons. And a history. And gizmos. And.. and...

I skipped LW 10. I'm really hoping LW 11 has something to offer me.

OnlineRender
10-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Kidding aside, I have no idea what to expect from LW anymore, none whatsoever

have faith...............or at least in there users !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMI
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
have faith...............or at least in there users !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have plenty of faith in the users, it's Newtek I worry about. :D

I'm just hoping that LW 11 is all about Modeler.
I have to admit, the Layout features in LW 10.1 make it almost tempting, but a Modeler overhaul would cinch the deal for me, even if they did nothing new for Layout.

speismonqui
10-21-2011, 06:05 PM
ok, if there's this:
http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/10/fabric-engine-brings-bullet-physics-to-web-browsers/

also this:
http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/09/after-effects-to-get-its-own-physics-engine/

and... remember CORE bullets?

then something must be wrong with LW architecture or mainframe or wathever it's called, as I don't think NT is evil enough to say "hey, adding physics is really easy. But let's not implement it, the users don't deserve it (evil laugh)!"
???

Andy Meyer
10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
though somewhat limited VPR, and LCS, these features are real progress...

3 years after 9.6 was released, this is sparse imho.
9.6 can do the same for years. fprime and manual LCS.
as much as LW10 gained with these things it loses coz of instability and new features are unfinished.

but 10.2 could change that with ease!
- fix bugs
- make VPR stable and match to renderer in all situations, uv maping too.
- finish LCS, i think only adaptive sampling has to be done.
- make stereo cam output rendered images and buffers for both eyes.

erikals
10-22-2011, 11:05 AM

true, i think we're all crossing our fingers that the CORE code implementations in LW11 will be a success...
 

LW_Will
10-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Ah... you think the info the you haven't yet received is "sparse".

So, what would to think of info they have given to you? "Too wordy?"

Why don't we wait until they actually say something? You know, on the day that they said they would?

IMI
10-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Ah... you think the info the you haven't yet received is "sparse".

So, what would to think of info they have given to you? "Too wordy?"

Why don't we wait until they actually say something? You know, on the day that they said they would?

Well, it would kind of defeat the purpose of a speculation thread if we waited until they said something. :D

I'm hoping for the best for LW, but I understand the aggravation and frustration of the typical long term LW user. No matter how you look at it, NT has let us all down many times in many ways in the past few years, and their change of personnel and spoken promises have yet to be proven in the eyes of many.

Celshader
10-22-2011, 09:50 PM
- make stereo cam output rendered images and buffers for both eyes.

I still have not reported (https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit) this bug.

Did you report it?

LW_Will
10-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Well, it would kind of defeat the purpose of a speculation thread if we waited until they said something. :D

Touche, sir. Touche...

ncr100
10-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Pancakes and the like from ACROSS THE PLANET: http://designyoutrust.com/2011/10/18/50-of-the-world%E2%80%99s-best-breakfasts/

Which is your most favorite type of breakfast? Which do you believe the LW dev team will be eating the most of on 11/11/11?

Matt
10-24-2011, 06:26 PM

Please do not post inaccurate information about speaking to people from beta.

Warning 1.

lwanmtr
10-24-2011, 11:50 PM
While I've learned to not have high expectations lately, here are a few things I'd like to see....

Dynamics, fluid, cloth...Blender has better dynamics implementation, given that LW's is what 8 years old?

More 3rd parties..... Maybe get some of the plugin devs who make things like Volume Breaker, etc to produce LW versions...or even better built in blow-'em-up dynamics and fracturing?

better CA tools

'Do what I want' button

Probably more stuff if I took the time to think about it...hehe

gristle
10-25-2011, 12:19 AM

Warning 1.

Yeah, at least make sure it is accurate!

probiner
10-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Pancakes and the like from ACROSS THE PLANET: http://designyoutrust.com/2011/10/18/50-of-the-world%E2%80%99s-best-breakfasts/

That website.... oh... it's so mean... Hmmm....

50one
10-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by Matt

Warning 1.

Yeah, at least make sure it is accurate!

Geez, two post down from my original message I said it was a joke:hey:

erikals
10-25-2011, 05:25 AM
um, i didn't see it.
anyway, it's probably better to avoid it...

50one
10-25-2011, 05:35 AM
People are getting bit touchy over the LW this days, not surprised:)
On a sidenote, wasn't it you Matt that posted Vray screen Ps'ed over LW screenshot?

LW3D
10-25-2011, 05:38 AM
I hope they do not forget new generation "Eagle in a Barrel" plug-in :)

xxiii
10-25-2011, 08:02 PM

mmm, Get in my belly! (and take your time on the way)

Which is your most favorite type of breakfast?

The weekend all you can eat brunch (which they don't technically have, but you can show up just before the transition period) at the restaurant down the street, where I could fabricate most of those things. They don't have vegemite or marmite though, someday I'll have to find out what those are. And naan would be nice (which they also don't have).

jwiede
10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Marmite is the yeast scrapings from the insides of the barrels used to make Bass Ale (originally, anyway, IIRC -- who knows what yeast they use now). Vegemite is something similar, but not sure if also yeast or something plant-based instead.

erikals
10-26-2011, 08:13 AM
@ 50one...

...another great LW artist :]
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123185

50one
10-26-2011, 08:40 AM
...I only rounded the number to the ....6 well known, didn't count the upcoming rockstars lol. :hey: :thumbsup: Oh shut up....:):D

erikals
10-26-2011, 08:51 AM
it's coming along i tell ya'... ;]

Matt
10-26-2011, 12:49 PM
People are getting bit touchy over the LW this days, not surprised:)
On a sidenote, wasn't it you Matt that posted Vray screen Ps'ed over LW screenshot?

For April Fools yes.

Just tone down the sillyness, that's all I'm asking.

geo_n
10-28-2011, 10:19 AM
http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=60172&page=3

Bullet physics and instancing are two big advances introduced into 11
LW 11 is released it will be accompanied with these 2 things:

1) Tutorial Videos
2) Complete Documentation

Any truth into this?

SBowie
10-28-2011, 10:24 AM
First, I think basing expectations on unconfirmed rumours on someone else's website based on leaked info from what was never intended to be a complete exposé of new features is probably not a good methodology.

Setting that aside ... no comment. :boogiedow

zapper1998
10-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I just want the "Easy Button" intergrated into LW 11..

:)

Of course it would be nice if Newtek, would just post a List of what they are considering to focus on for LW11.

Most companies have a plan of attack laid out for the year.
Something to focus on.. projected yearly attack plan..

Mike

erikals
10-28-2011, 10:29 AM

LW11, Bullet physics and instancing...

whatever is shown, remember that bugs might occur, hold expectations low.
(always serves) ;]

erikals
10-28-2011, 10:30 AM
I just want the "Easy Button" intergrated into LW 11..

:)

i've heard this is to be integrated into LW12... ;]
it's called the "Make it Look Good" button...

littlewaves
10-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Bullet physics and instancing are two big advances introduced into 11
LW 11 is released it will be accompanied with these 2 things:

1) Tutorial Videos
2) Complete Documentation

Any truth into this?

Whilst I certainly have no insider knowledge I reckon this info is probably quite likely anyway even without the rumor.

My reasoning is that Rob Powers said a while back that core features would be integrated into LW. He didn't specifically say in version 11 but that's easy to assume.

Also as Bullet and instancing were amongst the very few Core features that actually WERE demo'd publicly it's probably a safe bet that they'd be ready earlier than some of the pie in the sky ideas that no-one outside hardcore (or in it?) ever saw hard evidence of.

As for tutorial videos (I should hope so) and documentation(It's about time)

erikals
10-28-2011, 10:34 AM
As for tutorial videos (I should hope so)...

William made a Ton of those... (don't get spoiled!)

geo_n
10-28-2011, 08:16 PM
hold expectations low.
(always serves) ;]

I've had low expectations since core and lw 10.1 being the last build for lw 10 anyway.
Just wondering where to put the money. Ibounce is pretty solid ,cheap and backwards compatible. Lw 11's main feature stated above, 495USD, not really enticing.

erikals
10-28-2011, 08:28 PM
lots of options if LW11 doesn't rock... :]

-iBounce
-Turbulence4D
-3Dscanner
-3Dcoat
-aftereffects plugins

much more... :]

abdelkarim
11-09-2011, 10:46 PM
if newtek put modeler tools in layout lightwave Best is dead . its will be like 3ds max and other crape 3d appl . were u model u animate . let keep modeler alone and layout alone to :D dont mix it . we need really in lightwave Render engine new Gi like Kray .and some physky included with lw 11 . some photon Like Kray. and speed up render . take off a lot of crash . mybe hypervoxel 4 . all included and simple to use all fx ( simplify other tab for Fx like fire and other tab like water :D ex.. and this one is VeRy lol . creat button for reset limit region for camera :D and limit region included in other limit region . like u have 800 * 600 we need just render some area. like from 800 * 600 we need like 600 350 its just an example and there we need other new limit region we need it :d . its for when u do your render using limit region after u have some wrong setup or anythink u dont like it. if u have the 2nd limit region we can render just into the area we need to chagne it with limit region 2 that it. plz i know it very easy for limit region its nice and great for architectural.

erikals
11-09-2011, 11:37 PM
u have a point, but i definitely want to be able to tweak models through camera view.
(and a couple of other things)

the good thing about NT's process is that they can see how things are going,
and therefor adapt to the users requests as they go along.

i do see your concern, by moving Modeler to Layout we for example loose quite a lot of shortcuts...
also the ability to focus on only one object while modeling
and the probable loss of Modelers handles-less modeling approach. (which is what it's famous for)

...we'll see, it won't happen over night.

mborge
11-10-2011, 12:22 AM

I'm just hoping that LW 11 is all about Modeler.
I have to admit, the Layout features in LW 10.1 make it almost tempting, but a Modeler overhaul would cinch the deal for me, even if they did nothing new for Layout.

:agree:

imho - Complete UV update and add common Sub-D tools/interactions that should have been there long ago or LW is out of the modeling business.

erikals
11-10-2011, 12:51 AM
for UV mapping, check out PLG
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8E8563152E35FED7&feature=viewall

Lewis
11-10-2011, 01:23 AM
u have a point, but i definitely want to be able to tweak models through camera view.
(and a couple of other things)

the good thing about NT's process is that they can see how things are going,
and therefor adapt to the users requests as they go along.

i do see your concern, by moving Modeler to Layout we for example loose quite a lot of shortcuts...
also the ability to focus on only one object while modeling
and the probable loss of Modelers handles-less modeling approach. (which is what it's famous for)

...we'll see, it won't happen over night.

Neither of that needs to be lost.

LW needs to start understanding CONTEXT sensitive so you can have same shortcut for different operations depending what are you doing and where. Modeling still can looks and feel like completely separated if you wish (when done properly). Also gizmo free modeling is not at all in danger, gizmos should be On/OFF by user (shortcut/button) and same as you do it now with CTRL key (in most cases where tool supports it) Gizmos will help you to constrain tool to any axis (and much more which is not possible now in LWM like local axis rotation for multi selected parts and so on.) and if you don't grab gizmo you still could freely model.

Benefits of unified modeling/animating are far greater than any possible loss (and like i said none of what's said here needs to be lost).

So, NO, merging modeler with layout will not make LW to be MAX or dead. As a matter of fact i'll be more capable and yet more interesting for some users (who use other apps now)that don't like it and will never use it 'coz of that separated apps issue.

erikals
11-10-2011, 01:28 AM
yup, a company i applied at didn't really fancy the Modeler / Layout split.
(of course the guy didn't know crap about 3D, but still, if that's what it takes to convince bosses...)

btw, tweaking meshes with fine detail in VPR will be Fantastic! :] :] :]

Real time, eat that AD!

MDSPECIFIC
11-10-2011, 01:43 AM
I need better and faster camera DOF-Bokeh effect (adjustable bokeh effect) inside LW.

50one
11-10-2011, 02:09 AM
...I need a coffee....It's been a long night

What happened with you avatar erikals, or is it my eyes?

erikals
11-10-2011, 05:12 AM
the solution is easy,...

move all the modeler tools over to layout
and all the layout tools over to modeler...

50one
11-10-2011, 05:48 AM
the solution is easy,...

move all the modeler tools over to layout
and all the layout tools over to modeler...

I'm sure Newtek already done that and swap the icons over as well so no one noticed...

probiner
11-10-2011, 05:58 AM
LW needs to start understanding CONTEXT sensitive so you can have same shortcut for different operations depending what are you doing and where. Modeling still can looks and feel like completely separated if you wish (when done properly). Also gizmo free modeling is not at all in danger, gizmos should be On/OFF by user (shortcut/button) and same as you do it now with CTRL key (in most cases where tool supports it) Gizmos will help you to constrain tool to any axis (and much more which is not possible now in LWM like local axis rotation for multi selected parts and so on.) and if you don't grab gizmo you still could freely model.

That's basically it. Unification = modeling sucks, ONLY if it's badly implemented. and Unification generally = more modeling tool, parametrics, camera match, dynamics in moldeing, weighting bones in loco, etc, etc...

The tricky thing though is good implementation:
1 - It's not to be chained to what Modeler can do now, but if you go on a new path, let ppl have the most custom way to work possible.
2 - If the new path requires a new mindset and we all need to relearn, fine, as long as what's needed (not necessarily how it's wanted) is there.

Cheers

Netvudu
11-10-2011, 10:51 AM
My hopes for LW 11 is that it will bring us a half-decent way to deal with render passes.
I suspect some bullet dynamics and python introduction might fall into it, but I really thing a better render pass management is way more important and due long ago.

erikals
11-11-2011, 01:11 AM
thanks, yeah,,, got to be some after a couple of years... :]

probiner
11-11-2011, 04:11 AM
My hopes for LW 11 is that it will bring us a half-decent way to deal with render passes.
I suspect some bullet dynamics and python introduction might fall into it, but I really thing a better render pass management is way more important and due long ago.

Merry Christmas...

prometheus
11-11-2011, 04:20 AM
When was the exact date for the announcement?

Michael

phillydee
11-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Seems like this is a step in the right direction...

http://www.newtek.com/images/stories/marketing/lightwave/lw_11_assets/lw-11-renderbuffer.jpg

Netvudu
11-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I was soo happy when I saw the new features :thumbsup::newtek: