PDA

View Full Version : Fly over mountains

Jure
10-14-2003, 08:19 AM
Hello all!

Didn't know whether to put this one into WIP section or finished since it's finished for now but I may add something to it in the future... It's a simple fly over a mountains (yes it's the same mountains that sometimes show in header of this page), camera motion is a bit poor, but hadn't have time to fix that. Landscapeis a done with a single subdivided plane with displacement map and surfacing is all done with procedurals and gradients. Clouds are Ogo_taiki's work (great volumetrics!).

So here you go.. I'll be most happy to hear your C&C.

http://www2.arnes.si/~ssdjjude/mountains_fly.avi

and a sample pic:
http://www2.arnes.si/~ssdjjude/sample.jpg

Thank you all!

Oh btw. you will need divx5 to watch this.

riki
10-14-2003, 09:11 AM
looks nice, I wasn't able to view the avi though.

handron
10-14-2003, 09:50 AM
I liked it. Minor crit': The camera movement was a little jerky at times. I don't mean the video played choppy but one second you are flying in a smooth motion and then the next the camera makes a sharp left or right. On your update in the future maybe you could smooth that out just a bit. Also, for dramatic purposes I would have loved to have the camera path head toward a mountain, get real close, and then shoot up it vertically and continue on to the other crests. Can't wait until I can create something like that. Good work again! :)

Zarathustra
10-14-2003, 10:07 AM
I think it looks great. Did you whip up the texture/displacement yourself or did you follow a tut somewhere? I know there have been several nice mountains like this done before, but since I haven't tried it yet I'm still really impressed when I see something this good.
Care to share a how-to?

btw - Going by your avatar, I'm guessing you did that animation with the mask coming to life. I remember that. It was very cool as well.

retinajoy
10-14-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by riki
looks nice, I wasn't able to view the avi though.

Uses divx v5. 5.1 version for PC and MAC at www.divx.com

Jure - Good texturing of the mountains. You could get closer to the mountains as if POV of a plane about to crash, but pulls up just in time and you could use an engine sound to support this with your wind sounds. Just an idea to lift it above the usual flythru animation.

riki
10-14-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks retinajoy. I seem to be downloading a new version of divx each month. It's seems to be luck of the draw if you can view the avi or not.

Oh Heck
10-14-2003, 03:17 PM
That is really nice. How did you go about textureing it? Planar down the Y? Reminds me of the opening mountain scene in LOTR: Two Towers. ;)

renderingfarmer
10-14-2003, 09:04 PM
Haha "oh Heck" my thoughts exactly. This looks really wonderful. Good work.

scottn
10-15-2003, 06:19 AM
Looks great, nice procedurals!

The only critisiscm I can give is that the lighting is very flat and white, natural light has a slight colour to it - often with a different colour temperature present in the shadow.

The clouds in your sky are fairly sparse, so the mountains would be quite harshly lit by sunlight - creating strong shadows.

adrian
10-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Jure,

I love those mountains!

Any chance of a tutorial (or even some step-by-step instructions here) how you made/textured them?

Adrian.

WizCraker
10-15-2003, 03:36 PM
Where's the Fly over the Mountains? I don't see it.

Okay back to reality great enviroment, I don't think the fly over is that sharp at the turns looks good and gives a sense of speed. Good job.

Earl
10-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Very nice modeling/texturing combo. Although there are lots of similar 'scenes,' yours seems to enjoy a bit more of a natural look to it. Did you use any reference photos, or just go by instinct?

Jure
10-15-2003, 04:45 PM
Thank you all very much for your comments. I will take them in mind when I tweak the scene a bit more and maybe develop it even further.
The scene itself is quite old now allready... I think I made it almost a year ago. And after newtek put it in the header of it's page, it has constantly been displaying to me when I was browsing this pages... So I thought it must be some kind of sign ;).
Anyways I didn't realy follow any tutorials about this one. It all started basicly when I was trying to recreate the realism of Terragen's renders in LW. And I think it came out quite nice.

A few notes about surfacing.
The mountains are of one big (10kmx10km) sub-D polygon. I then set the render subdivison in layout to the max (180). Added a procedural displacement map (multi fractal) with insanely high layer opacity - 10000% (to get nice high mountains out of it).
The texturing is done with two layers of bump mapped procedurals with gradient alpha set to slope. The color layer is also set to white gradient on slope so it creates a nice snow. So that's basicly all there is to it. It's all about tweaking procedurals actualy.
Hope this helps and if you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer.
Thank you all again.

p.s. Earl - I didn't use any reference photos until I was almost done with surfacing. It was only then that I figured It would be wise to use them. I should have used them sooner and it would save me time tweaking surfaces.

js33
10-16-2003, 02:05 AM
Very nice. Realistic looking as well. Almost seemed like I was watching the opening shot in the Two Towers.

Cheers,
JS