PDA

View Full Version : Advise / Suggestions - How???

feo
10-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Hello again guys,
Doing better figuring out my basics around LW. I have a challenge that I do not know how to approach. I don't know which of particles or Hypervoxels would be a fit for it.
I have a rocket ship that will be taking off vertically and then going horizontal. I would like to have little spheres in the back come out as if they are smoke. My problem is that I need them to come out in the opposite direction the ship is heading. so when it takes off they should be going down and when the ship levels out they should be going towards the back.
Any suggestions on how to tackle this? I tried separate spheres but it got bad after a few frames. Controlling the fade and getting somewhat random movement is not easy manually. I would think particles or hypervoxels are good for this but now sure how to get started.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

wrench
10-15-2011, 03:42 PM
You need to set a particle emitter and give very little of the parent motion to it (set a null to follow your rocket, add an emitter to the null, go to the Etc. tab and set some gravity (-2 in the Y) and set Parent Motion to 0%. Then add HyperVoxels to the emitted particles by going into the HyperVoxels window and double clicking on the null name and automatically size the HVs, and show them in the window. You will have to make more changes, but you're on your way to replicating Iron Man in his Mk I armour taking off from Gulmira now, that was all HyperVoxels too... ;)

B

feo
10-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Wow.. the way you just explained it I think sounds doable by me... ;-)
I'll give it a shot.
Thanks!

wrench
10-16-2011, 05:50 AM
It's pretty simple, although you'll need to go into several windows to do it, but the nice thing is you can see how the particles react in real-time, there's no need to calculate the motion, so you can fine tune it to your heart's content. Next up is texturing those particles and your best bet is to make the HVs "Volume" rather than the default "Surface" and then hit F8 while you have the Hypervoxels window open and choose one of the presets for your smoke.

B

feo
10-16-2011, 03:35 PM
OMG!!!!!!
I actually got this working!!!
I got EXACTLY what I wanted, thank you, thank you, thank you...
:thumbsup:

wrench
10-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Excellent! I want to see pics now...

B