PDA

View Full Version : High Resolution and High Poly

jrjohannes
10-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I understand that some 3D terms are arbitrary and considered subjective but the following are referred to so often that it's worth asking:

1. When is a 3D Model Considered High Resolution?

2. Is a SubPatched Model automatically considered High Resolution or does it require a certain number of Polygons?

along those same lines,

3. When is a Model considered "High Polygonal" vs. Low?

nickdigital
10-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I understand that some 3D terms are arbitrary and considered subjective but the following are referred to so often that it's worth asking:

1. When is a 3D Model Considered High Resolution?

2. Is a SubPatched Model automatically considered High Resolution or does it require a certain number of Polygons?

along those same lines,

3. When is a Model considered "High Polygonal" vs. Low?

Resolution usually refers to size in pixels so the terminology is probably misleading. A model is usually classified as high poly or low poly. Texture maps can be high resolution or low resolution. For example a 4k image for a movie model would be high resolution. A 512x512 image map for a game would be considered low rez.

1. High resolution, using your term, refers to detail where you need more geometry to create the detail (folds in cloth, wrinkles on skin). Not just the amount of polygons. A face model with a ton of polys where the polygon count doesn't add to detail is just wasteful.

2. I would say a SubPatched model would be considered high poly (depending on how high you dial up the subpatch level), not high resolution. See my point above.

3. I don't think there's a specific number count that determines that. If you look at realtime game models those are considered Low. Game cinematic, tv and film models I would say are considered High.

In general you should make your model as low polygon as possible for what the shot dictates.

jrjohannes
10-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Thank you very much! I appreciate the information.

Danner
10-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Everytime we get a new intern at our company, they start making very high poly objects for everything and we have to ask them to tone it down. There is no need for a perfectly modeled super high resolution phone that is going to be sitting far away in a corner that wil total around 30 pixels at render time in a moving shot. Most of them are not confortable modeling low/mid poly so it's something we have to teach them.

jrjohannes
10-16-2011, 10:54 AM
All in all, Controlling Poly Count and Poly Flow is important. I guess getting a model to hold its proper shape without being strenuous and so that it speeds up rendering is the idea.

Danner
10-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Watching your polycount also speeds up the modeling once you understand the level of detail needed for each object.
The bigger the object is on camera the higher the polycount needs to be. So even a small object would need a higher poly count if it was close to the camera. This is not always known because the camera movements are not always set in stone while we are still modeling, but we usually have a rough idea and if more detail is needed we add it later.