PDA

View Full Version : Can you upgrade to 10.1 from any version?

Pixelight
10-15-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm a Lightwave beginner and I was wondering if you can upgrade to Lightwave 10.1 from any previous version? I was just thinking that some older versions would not even run on Windows XP. So if you have to have the old version installed to upgrade you would have to be running it on an old Windows version. Or is the upgrade basically a full version? If the later then I guess it wouldn't matter.

Thanks.

JeffrySG
10-15-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm a Lightwave beginner and I was wondering if you can upgrade to Lightwave 10.1 from any previous version? I was just thinking that some older versions would not even run on Windows XP. So if you have to have the old version installed to upgrade you would have to be running it on an old Windows version. Or is the upgrade basically a full version? If the later then I guess it wouldn't matter.

Thanks.

The upgrades such as 10.1 are usually full application installs as compared to simple little patches. But if you didn't own 10 you'd have to purchase 10.1 and you'd get everything you need for installation anyway.

Pixelight
10-15-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure I understand. So if I have Lightwave 6, can I upgrade to 10.1 for $695? And will it be a full application then or will I need to install it over 6?

JeffrySG
10-15-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure I understand. So if I have Lightwave 6, can I upgrade to 10.1 for $695? And will it be a full application then or will I need to install it over 6?

You'll have to check with NT to see if 6 qualifies for the upgrade price but once you buy it the install will be a complete one. You could still have 6 on your machine as well. I usually keep the last few installs as well just in case. Just make sure your system will be fully compatible with 10.1. Just make sure you put your old version in a safe directory so it doesn't get erased by mistake, etc. But if you didn't have 6 on your machine anymore it would install fine.

evenflcw
10-15-2011, 09:59 AM
You can upgrade from any previous version, for example, from v6 to v10, for the price of a single upgrade.

Every new version, even .x updates, install separate. LW doesn't patch existing installations.

Pixelight
10-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks. It's great to know the $695 price covers upgrades from any version and that it's a separated install.

IMI
10-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I didn't know this either, so I'm glad I read this.
I just hope they're still doing this a few versions from now. IMO, an upgrade from 9.6 to 10.1 isn't worth it, but an upgrade from 9.6 to, say, LW 12 just might be.