PDA

View Full Version : Video Game character concept

jasonwestmas
10-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Made use of Zbrush to LW workflow. Used the LW10.1 skin material. The CS tools and VPR always help too, especially with the reflections and lighting. =)

probiner
10-14-2011, 04:54 PM
We get ok... you like cute chicks in exo-alien suits =P

I think is model is nice as the attention do details.
The only thing I would point out is that the shading in some areas makes the volumes look wonky. I don't know if it's the actual volumes that are like that, if you use some displacement map or its the lightning. But those ares look less like crude sculpting (interior part of the elbow, shoulder, shoulder pad, orange stripes in the triceps)

Other than that she just needs a big gun =)

Cheers

jasonwestmas
10-14-2011, 05:28 PM
lol, yeah well hopefully the game play will be less superficial than chicks with Guns. Although I guess that's the message I'm portraying here.

Perhaps the reflections are too noisy but I think the displacement is rather well polished imo.

Edit: come to think of it I think the normal map is cranked up too high. I think that's partly it. I tend to over exaggerate features so they can be seen from a distance (video game habit) but maybe I went overboard.

IMI
10-15-2011, 10:21 AM
What's wrong with chicks with guns? I'm kind of getting over dudes with guns in my games. ;)

Looks good, Jason. I don't think the normal maps look cranked up too high. It just looks like plastic or composite armor to me, which I assume is what you were going for.

The front view of her collar armor on her chest looks kind of 'melted' to me though, like it's not as consistently detailed as the rest and doesn't 'pop' as much as it you might have been going for. That could just be the lighting though.

jasonwestmas
10-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks IMI, after looking at my stuff with a fresh eye I'm not completely sold on the materials and reflections. I'll probably tweak em after I actually get animating an entire scene. It's good to get other points of view for final tweaks.

sony
10-25-2011, 12:28 AM
what will the game be called

jasonwestmas
10-25-2011, 09:14 AM
I tend to name stuff after a certain time of development. It's codename for now is Skin Jobz. It's a mission based sci-fi game similar to a 4 player spy verses spy concept where you are sabotaging the other players, helping the other players and following to complete your mission. So it will be a little campy but dark and moody too. The word skin comes from the idea that you can change your character's cybernetic skin when you find the right replicator and then you must find the appropriate upgrades for that particular skin. It's also a bit of a dungeon crawler that takes place in a large Laboratory. Controls may be a little like Resident evil 4 or Dark souls. I'll be putting up a blog one of these days.

oliversimonnet
11-04-2011, 04:46 AM
Nice character :)

How did you UV map the characters so well?
Did you usea plugin?
I want to get into game character modeling, but i cant start that if i dont know how to UVmap :D

Again, Nice work.

jasonwestmas
11-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks Oliver. UV mapping is probably one of the first things I learned. PLG UV edit is something you should definitely use while inside lightwave. With that plugin the the only reall thing you need to know is where to put your seams and how to arrange your islands, it kinda just does the rest. Seams are different for each character and prop so you just have to do what creates the least amount of distortion in your maps which take some experimentation to get a good feel for it. Taking advantage of the "linear edges" (with smoothing) mode in the vertex map panel makes displacement and normal maps from sculpting packges look better too.

I've recently started using the UV tools in 3D coat for retopo meshes and it makes things even easier.

oliversimonnet
11-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Ahh ok ok.
Thanks for the great advise, much appreciated :)
Is "PLG UV edit" a free plugin?

Again, thanks

jasonwestmas
11-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Free, yes.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

There are a few tutorials on You Tube about it too.

jasonwestmas
11-05-2011, 03:57 PM
For anything tube-like or twisty and curvy I also recommend UV creeper. It's my official LW TUBE unwrapper now. ;) But maybe LW CAD 4 will replace that with its new UV tools, who knows.

http://www.pictrix.jp/?p=3837

Only 32-bit though =-/.

oliversimonnet
11-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the links :)
Is that UV creeper available for Win 64?

jasonwestmas
11-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Is that UV creeper available for Win 64?

No, unfortunately. PLG UV is, but that's a different animal.

oliversimonnet
11-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Ahh that sucks.
I'll just have to stick with PLG UV :)
Also is their a technique to creating game character meshes? Like keeping the poly count low, yet good enough for it to deform nicely and keep a good shape

jasonwestmas
11-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Ahh that sucks.
I'll just have to stick with PLG UV :)
Also is their a technique to creating game character meshes? Like keeping the poly count low, yet good enough for it to deform nicely and keep a good shape

It's like regular sub-d modeling except I tend to tie off my edge loops a lot more with arrow shaped polygons and sometimes triangles to keep the polygon count low. The old school way is to leave long rectangular polygons where you don't need to deform the mesh. The down side to that is that you may not get enough subdivision detail in Zbrush for when you create your normal map. So I still tend to make my game model polys square-ish.

BTW this model up there is the high rez version of this game character. It's using displacements with normal maps.