PDA

View Full Version : What a shame...

js-rolhion
10-14-2003, 06:55 AM
Hi all,

there's something i wanted to share with you about something happened...

I used Poser meshes in different part of my work. First it was for blueprinting and to learn modeling, and after doing it, my mesh were something similar to poser ones. It's one year and a half i started CG for pleasure, and i choosed lightwave for that. To increase my need of going faster, i used some part of poser bodies like a torso, or a hand for example, to finish my images as soon as possible. Some people said i was just a poser user without never mention it : True, and i apologize to did it, without saying it. I felt bad "lying" to all of you.

But that's wrong for many of my images. I saw alot of bad critics about that, some saying LEGION01 was a poser mesh : it was wrong.
But i admit i should have say the truth about poser. In a way, after Legion01 was born, i had the feeling i couldn't create something bad after it... and that's why i falled in the trap : using the easier way, without saying a word about Poser.

I'm sorry if i hurted you all with the fact i lied.

Now, i'm not doing CG anymore. I'm far from this world, but however, i just wanted to apologize because you all trusted me, and after some months of self wondering, now i understand what you felt.

I wish you all good luck in your way, whatever it is, and i hope one day you'll all forgive me.

Sincerly sorry,
strike

hrgiger
10-14-2003, 07:10 AM
js-rolhion,

I think you're being a bit ####### yourself.
The only thing I can say I agree with you on is that if you used poser, you should have given it some credit or mentioned that you used it for purposes of speed of workflow. Saying that you modeled something yourself when you used the cut and paste method isn't honest.

However, there is nothing wrong with using poser meshes in your work. Knowing how long it takes to complete anything in CG for a lot of people, I say anything that helps you work faster, well, there can't be anything wrong with that. Whatever tools help you acheive the visions in your head are good tools indeed. I personally don't like the look of a lot of Poser works but from what I've seen of your work, you elevated it beyond that look and my hats off to you for it.

Steve

mattclary
10-14-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by js-rolhion

I'm sorry if i hurted you all with the fact i lied.

Apology accepted!

I hope you've learned a lesson here, young man! Just give credit where it's due and don't take credit for what you have not done.

Now get your a** back to the computer and work on creating some art! :)

Edit: Actually, I debate whether you are actually Strike. If you are, why did you log in as a new user? If you are actually Strike, what I said above stands.

riki
10-14-2003, 08:54 AM
I don't understand why you gave up in the first place. If it's something you enjoy, keep going. We've all done things in the past that we regret, some more publicly that others.

dzogchen
10-14-2003, 09:15 AM
Why give up something you did so well? Poser or not.:cool:

badllarma
10-14-2003, 09:31 AM
js-rolhion

I wouldn't worry about it yes you could of memtioned some was poser but at the end of the day it gets the job done.
I know if i went ot a client and said you can have a projects a little later then orginally said or on time and i'll have to use Poser I think we all know what the answer would be.

If it's in the tool box use it simple as.

If I'm prevising a scene do you really think I'd go to all the trouble of modeling characters to show what we want, not a chance straight into poser as few clicks a bit of composition and away we go job done.:D

papou
10-14-2003, 01:17 PM
on s'en fout!! k'estcekec'estquecesconneries!!
te casse pas la tete, et remet la poterie a plus tard!
a++

polarman3d
10-14-2003, 03:50 PM
I agree with everyone else, js-rolhion. You are an outstanding talent, and the shame lies in letting that go to waste! I don't think that you should quit because of all this. Use it to your advantage and come out of it stronger than before.

I really hope that this truly is not the end of CG for you. Everyone makes mistakes. You just have to learn from those and move forward to better yourself and your work. Never quit.

You don't know me, but I'm speaking as someone whom you've inspired.

Tommy

xtrm3d
10-15-2003, 05:45 AM
Apology accepted!

I hope you've learned a lesson here, young man! Just give credit where it's due and don't take credit for what you have not done.

Now get your a** back to the computer and work on creating some art!

amen !!
:D

meshmaster
10-15-2003, 07:46 AM
You should not have to justify using it. I personally don't use it much because I like quads more than tris and only have poser 3, but it's a tool, installed on my computer, and I may use it someday... same goes with Worldbuilder, Gmax, Cinema 4D 5 SE, Motion Builder 5, Cinema 4D 6 Lite version, D-Sculptor, trueSpace, Blender, Gimp, Pov-Ray and the other ton of 3d and 2d Stuff on my computer taking up a large chunk of the C Drive that I installed since they are tools... not all are tools that I'd use in a non-academic production, but they are tools, and I do plan to use some of them eventually.... mastering some, only barely using some, and maybe not even using some at all... I don't use my hammer to screw in a screw and I don't use my screwdriver to hammer in a nail...

xtrm3d
10-15-2003, 07:55 AM
no..no.. he did not appologize for having used poser ,...
but to have told the people that he modeled the stuff..

if i correct remember he even told in an interview that he would never use poser ...

but .. he reconised his mistack ( liyng , not using poser ) ..
and better late as never ..
for my part i think the comunity shoul dforgive .. and take him back in our midle,,

strike ..even iff he cheated about modelling .. still did a really cool work with lightning and shading ...