PDA

View Full Version : Interior tests.....

Snosrap
10-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Just some messing around tonight trying to work on my lighting skills. Some minor post work in PS. Comments welcome.

jeromedeverite
10-13-2011, 11:54 PM
hello, nice render, and nice ambiance.
perhaps you can add a ambiant occlusion in post work ( just to see if it beter)

MUCUS
10-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Hi snosrap!

I really like the mood you have there, I would just maybe spend a bit more time on the second shot in that way:

- The marble texture works fine for long distance shots (as on the first picture), but seams to be too low resolution for close shots. As it is already
scaled to you scene, maybe find a more detailed map would be nice.
- There is something odd about the plant (again it's working really nicely
on the first shot!) as if some parts of the branches have a flat shape, and
other a round shape. Apparently it's a matter of modeling/subpatching.

But otherwise you've done a great job with lightning/mood :)

Snosrap
10-14-2011, 09:33 AM
- The marble texture works fine for long distance shots (as on the first picture), but seams to be too low resolution for close shots. As it is already
scaled to you scene, maybe find a more detailed map would be nice.
- There is something odd about the plant (again it's working really nicely
on the first shot!) as if some parts of the branches have a flat shape, and
other a round shape. Apparently it's a matter of modeling/subpatching.

Yes I agree about the marble texture - I'm embarrassed to say that that I just picked an image, selected cubic projection and hit automatic sizing! The only part of the scene that I modeled was the table - the room, planter/tree etc. were found on the internet. Other than cleaning up some issues with the model, the only thing I did was light and texture the model and add the table. Basically it was just a lighting exercise that happened to turn out well enough that I thought I'd post it. That doesn't happen often.:D I also just realized how crappy my monitor is at home, here at work I see all kinds of splotchiness in the renders.

Lewis
10-15-2011, 02:49 AM
I like it very much, only thing what bothers me is corners at first image, looks like light leaks/blotches which is I'm sure from radiosity solution. Did you maybe used too big Min/Max PS ?

erikals
10-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Love it...!

http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/king.gif

erikals
10-15-2011, 07:16 AM
I like it very much, only thing what bothers me is corners at first image, looks like light leaks/blotches which is I'm sure from radiosity solution. Did you maybe used too big Min/Max PS ?

yup, that's due too high min value i believe (=low rendertime)

here's how i would fix it in post... (hope it was ok to post in online)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c10WGrMqx3I

 

Snosrap
10-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for all this tips guys. I'm doing some more tests and will post the results. Special thanks to erikals for the PS tut. :thumbsup:

3dworks
10-15-2011, 05:18 PM
nice renderings, very natural and even a bit metaphysical... really like it. the architects eye spotted just one thing in the first image, that undefined material and geometry, which looks as a door sill. you won't find sharp edges like that one in any real building (imagine walking over it without socks...). i'd just delete it from the model and let the two floor materials meet as a line under the outer door frame.

cheers

markus

Snosrap
10-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Update. Again thanks for all the help and suggestions - replaced marble texture, removed threshold, made radiosity adjustments. I also did a non-radiosity render to compare. (The second image) Render times were 1hr 21min 33sec for the first and 57min 54sec for the second. I'm learning a lot from this, mostly that NT needs to supply some radiosity presets. :D