PDA

View Full Version : 3Dlabs May Extend Graphics Cards to the Power Mac G5 Family

Pooka
10-14-2003, 06:23 AM
And finally...
http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=210

tallscot
10-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Meanwhile, almost everyone on the LW PC forum is using a gaming card.

But I suppose an expensive 3D card will be useful for eliminating that argument in a PC versus Mac debate. :)

Darth Mole
10-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Ha! Well said, Tall of the clan McTall.

I think all this 'workstation' card stuff is overrated, and largely misunderstood.

Personally.

drclare
10-15-2003, 01:29 AM
So are the 3d labs cards made for graphics and 3d work rather than for games, or are they just better because they have a huge amount of memory?

tallscot
10-15-2003, 11:06 AM
They are made for 3D work, not games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but gaming cards are designed to provide the fastest FPS at a game resolution as possible, and also have special FX support used in the games.

A production 3D card is designed to handle the most throughput - very large scenes and models.

Lynx3d
10-16-2003, 04:06 AM
First Lightwave has to get something like OpenGL ACCELERATION.... :D

If you ever used a different app like 3ds max you know it simply is not worth buying a pro card. No special drivers for LW, no performance gain oe whatsoever from a quadro...

btw, Quadros run games just as well as a GeForce :)
Wildcats VP are not really great gaming cards, but a lot better than those previous "true" pro-cards that were only designed to run CAD applications and nothing else.

mlinde
10-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Lynx3d
First Lightwave has to get something like OpenGL ACCELERATION.... :D

If you ever used a different app like 3ds max you know it simply is not worth buying a pro card. No special drivers for LW, no performance gain oe whatsoever from a quadro...
Hey Lynx, doesn't 3ds prioritize 3D space, by using DirectX if available, then OpenGL if DX isn't, then Heidi if OGL and DX aren't available?

I ask because Lightwave works with OpenGL, (like Maya and Softimage) which is a more open and accessible standard than DirectX, but gets less support from Microsoft and GPU developers because DX exists. Also because OpenGL is available in Unix, Linux, MacOS, Irix, and any other open standard (as well as Windows), where DirectX is only available in Windows, and maybe some slick Linux hack. Cards like the 3DLabs cards and the Quadro cards take advantage of OpenGL more than GeForce or Radeon, because they are designed to push OGL for 3D from the get-go, where the game GPUs are designed for either/or situations (DirectX or OGL), thus the drivers aren't going to be as efficient across the board.

turbo
10-16-2003, 10:24 AM
So what's the best choice then for the Game Developer who is an avid Gamer? :confused:

Lynx3d
10-16-2003, 02:06 PM
AFAIK Max asks you on the first launch what you want to use, and D3D wasn't even fully supported until R4. You can change display driver anytime.
OpenGL in Max is a lot faster than it is in Lightwave, at least with all systems i worked on...

For Quadro etc. there are special drivers called "Maxtreme" and 3D-Labs has special drivers too. But Max5 supports DX9 and you need it for special viewport shaders i think, that's why many people use it, but it's not in always the fastest choice.
I'd be happy if LW had real transparency, maybe hardware AA lines (so there is at least any case to buy a pro card) but mainly i miss speed. I know OpenGL can be faster...