PDA

View Full Version : when will lightwave 8 appear?

cresshead
10-14-2003, 04:18 AM
place your vote...

cresshead
10-14-2003, 04:23 AM
BTW..proton and chuck...you can vote too!..but please write your vote in a message reply as well!!!!...and no cheating!

if i had to lay a bet?
i'd say december 24 at midnight GMT would be a REAL nice debut download day for lw8.

steve g:D

colkai
10-14-2003, 04:31 AM
I think at best it will be Dec. when it shows, but realistically, I see it poking its head above the parapet some time in the first quarter of next year.
..Which is fine by me, as keen as I am to play with the new toys, I am realistic enough to know Newtek won't release it "until it's ready".
I've been in the software business long enough to know that bugs and testing are the killer when it comes to developing. ;)

marc
10-14-2003, 06:35 AM
I hope it's out at the end of Novemer at the latest. I would really like to use it for my next project.

Marc

cresshead
10-14-2003, 07:34 AM
i'd love to get my hand on the new ik system...i'm building characters at the moment for my cgi film trailer and would rather use the new ik than learn how to ik the "old way"...

steve g

badllarma
10-14-2003, 09:00 AM
DITO cresshead could REALLY do with those new tools right now:D

riki
10-14-2003, 09:02 AM
I'm guess it'll be hear for christmas, maybe early dec or late nov.

Having said that I did get a call from one of the distributors last week in Sydney, who claimed to have copies of LW 8 in stock now.

They didn't believe me when I said "no it hasn't been released yet!"

jr_sunshine
10-14-2003, 09:16 AM
Funny that only a few think October is when it will happen. I guess were all tempering our real hope that it is released tomorrow... lol.

That would make Oct a good candidate for a suprise release.

Karmacop
10-14-2003, 09:51 AM
Are you going through Sigmacom riki? I'm going through new magic ... do you think I'd get it faster if I went through someone in Sydney? :confused:

riki
10-14-2003, 09:58 AM
I think you'll get it quicker through New Magic, It's probably where the resellers get it from anyway.

Karmacop
10-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Fair enough. Thanks. Now to convince my GF :rolleyes:

riki
10-14-2003, 10:14 AM
luckily my GF doesn't speak much english, which makes my life a whole lot easier :)

robinson
10-14-2003, 10:22 AM
October 15th would be great !!! :D

I just hope it appears before December 15th so I can check it out. I need to decide if I get Motion Builder this year !:(

anieves
10-14-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by riki
luckily my GF doesn't speak much english, which makes my life a whole lot easier :)

That can be a blessing OR a curse!:p

papou
10-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by riki

at the moment, dandan taihen ni naru yo!

Zach
10-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Why not post it now for the people who have upgraded with the DFX+ deal?

Shucks, it'd be fun to mess around with it at least!

I'm placing my bet for the ides of march 2004

shermanlu
10-15-2003, 11:02 PM
I just got this mail.... :D

This is it folks! It time to get off the fence. Youe probably heard about the great pre-upgrade special wee been running for the last few months. Wee decided to extend that special offer just until LightWave [8] ships --and wee announcing tomorrow that it will ship in the fourth quarter, 2003 -- that some time in the next 72 days! The new version, currently in beta, includes enhancements in dynamics, character animation, modeling workflow and tools, animation workflow, texturing tools, and more! Find out more
So here the deal -- if you pre-order your upgrade to [8], you get eyeon Software's professional compositing application, DFX+, with Module 1 - Visual Effects, and Module 4 - 3D Tools free! If you skipped a couple of upgrade cycles, that ok -- you can upgrade to [8] for the same price -- youl also receive the eyeon software AND LightWave [7.5] immediately! Order today

If you don't own LightWave, or would like to buy additional seats, this special is for you too!

Delay will inevitably lead to despair! Order today on our secure web site at: www.newtek.com/lw8dfx/

- Your Friends at NewTek

------------------------------------------------------------

This is a one-time email offer. This is a one-time email offer. To be removed from the LightWave registered users email list, please call 1-800-843-8934.

Meshbuilder
10-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh LightWave 3D [8] I want it now!!!!

Hervé
10-16-2003, 12:33 AM
I wont buy it anyway before first 1/4 2004, so for me it's fine...

gjjackson
10-16-2003, 06:19 AM
And here's the link that says December.

http://www.newtek.com/lw8dfx/

Exper
10-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by gjjackson
And here's the link that says December.
http://www.newtek.com/lw8dfx/ December here too:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=94891

agrippa
10-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Umm...I don't know what email you guys are reading, but it doesn't say anything about December. What it does offer is that LW8 will ship WITHIN the next 72 days. Below is a copy of the email for those who didn't get it...or who read it wrong.

BEGIN EMAIL---------
This is it folks! It’s time to get off the fence. You’ve probably heard about the great pre-upgrade special we’ve been running for the last few months. We’ve decided to extend that special offer just until LightWave [8] ships --and we’re announcing today that it will ship in the fourth quarter, 2003 -- that’s some time in the next 72 days! The new version, currently in beta, includes enhancements in dynamics, character animation, modeling workflow and tools, animation workflow, texturing tools, and more!
Find out more.
So here’s the deal -- if you pre-order your upgrade or full copy of LightWave [8], you get eyeon Software's professional compositing application, DFX+, with Module 1 - Visual Effects, and Module 4 - 3D Tools free! Even if you skipped a couple of upgrade cycles, that’s ok -- you can upgrade to [8] for the same price -- you’ll also receive the eyeon software AND LightWave [7.5] immediately! Order today

If you don't own LightWave, or would like to buy additional seats, this special is for you too! Order today and get a full copy of LightWave [7.5] and the DFX+ bundle -- and when LightWave [8] ships, you will get a free software upgrade! This bundle would cost you $3,380, but it can be yours for a very short time for less than half price!

Delay will inevitably lead to despair! Order today on our secure web site at: www.newtek.com/lw8dfx/vb.php

- Your Friends at NewTek

END EMAIL-----

And to Exper who posted the link...there's no mention of December there either...

geo

WizCraker
10-16-2003, 04:43 PM
I agree with agrippa, you are assuming it will ship at the 72nd day why not the 5th day or the 15th day? My guess would be november.

cresshead
10-16-2003, 04:45 PM
just like to ad tht i'm really lookig forward to rigging in lightwave 8!

steve g

dglenn
10-16-2003, 10:38 PM
I agree! I wanted to be part of their beta test program, but I heard that it was filled. That was what I heard at SIGGRAPH. I saw it at the party and I'm trying to plan my next project around its release (adding for learning curve time).

I finally upgraded from 6.5 to 7.5 about two weeks before SIGGRAPH and Wow it was the best move I ever made. Now I want to get 8 in my greedy hands. Please Soon!

P.S. At some time in the future NewTek, please add an Open Flight import/export plug-in. Creator GUI is a Big Pain and your friends that make Maya and 3D Max have one. Hint Hint.

If you had a Open Flight Plug-in, I might be able to make a good case to the U.S. Army to use Lightwave for simulation model development. Big Hint! ;) ;) ;)

Earl
10-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Actually, the link they posted did say December -- but it's been changed. ;)

Hervé
10-16-2003, 11:40 PM
In fact after looking the LW8 page, I've realized I use nothing in what's new or improved... I will upgrade anyway... I am kind of fidel to NT.... I still hope for a minor improvment about rendering or lights...

Mr Newtek, dont send offers in Europe that are only available to North America... he he funny...

tasmanian
10-17-2003, 12:40 AM
Don't worry, we usually get similar offers in europe.

72 days... 71....70...:)

Exper
10-17-2003, 02:58 AM
Ops... they changed the page! :(

NT should be more clear at least about the amount of time we have to put our hands on LW&DFX+ bundle upgrade!

I want to upgrade... but I cannot at now; if I could know, as many others,...
we'd be able to put our hands into the bag and count the money...
ok...
492$...
493$...
494$...
495$...
yep...
buy it now! ;)

Bye.

Exper
10-18-2003, 03:22 AM
agrippa...
received that mail from NewTek today!

Hoping me, and many others, will be able to upgrade in time for the big offer...
holding my breath with crossed fingers!

Bye.

hrgiger
10-18-2003, 06:18 AM
My birthday is December 22nd so I'm hoping for right around there...

Why do so many people think it will be 2004? I haven't seen any information that would support this.

Wade
10-18-2003, 12:49 PM
November 8th.:D

My birthday!

jcool
10-18-2003, 06:50 PM
I would like to officially complain about Newtek sending out a bulk email re-announcing the 4th Quarter ship date for LW8. This was obviously an underhanded attempt to skew the voting on this topic, and there should be an immediate retraction.

Also, there should be a dopesheet, but I think I've covered that already.

WizCraker
10-18-2003, 06:53 PM
Calm down it's just an email, if you don't want one in the future unsubscribe off the friends list.

SLAYER
10-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by jcool
I would like to officially complain about Newtek sending out a bulk email re-announcing the 4th Quarter ship date for LW8. This was obviously an underhanded attempt to skew the voting on this topic, and there should be an immediate retraction.

Also, there should be a dopesheet, but I think I've covered that already.

The e-mail came out the same day that Discreet released 3DS Max 6. Maybe this was to keep some wavers from jumping ship or to save their money for LW.

cresshead
10-19-2003, 02:16 PM
i saw no problem with the email...i subscribed to have it sent if i remember correctly..somewhere i handed over permission to be kept informed of newtek's news...

if you didn't like what it said you do have a delete key on your keyboard...so use it already!

if i'm correct, no one died thru this email or was seriously hurt either..just keep it all in perspective or camera view...and not bottom view!

steve g

cagey5
10-19-2003, 03:18 PM
Has everyone had a humour bypass? Jcool's post was obviously typed with tongue firmly in cheek or do we always need smiley's to tell people we're being humourous?

Cresshead you're British you should know better!

:) <- See a smiley. Do not take the above comments too seriously.

cresshead
10-19-2003, 03:39 PM
..it's been a long day!...re watched finding nemo, matrix 2 and the director's commentry on "the core"....

cheers:D

zarti
10-19-2003, 05:04 PM
my birthday is not on 30 August. (thank you my parents!) :o
......... it is on 2 December! :D

cresshead
10-19-2003, 05:15 PM
my b/day is on 3rd december so you'll have to wait 24hrs before lightwave 8 comes!

:cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

jcool
10-20-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
i saw no problem with the email...i subscribed to have it sent if i remember correctly..somewhere i handed over permission to be kept informed of newtek's news...

if you didn't like what it said you do have a delete key on your keyboard...so use it already!

if i'm correct, no one died thru this email or was seriously hurt either..just keep it all in perspective or camera view...and not bottom view!

steve g

Sorry... left this off my post: ;)

Really? British? Stiff upper lip and everything? ;)

zarti
10-20-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
my b/day is on 3rd december so you'll have to wait 24hrs before lightwave 8 comes!

:cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

nice day! 3 Dec.....
So i;m happy that your birthday is not on 30 August too!

dglenn
10-20-2003, 03:53 AM
Well, my birthday is January 25th, so I guess that if it arrives then, it's late for some reason!

sire
10-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Behold! In the mentioned e-mail notification which I got on 10/16, they said "within the next 72 days" and explicitly ended the message with:

"Delay will inevitably lead to despair!"

:)

dglenn
10-20-2003, 11:26 AM
That means that on Dec 29th we all should have it. Unless you think like a programmer (like I am). Then, it will be released before Dec 29th, and then the first bug fix (that is the true workable version of Lightwave 8 - a.k.a V8.1) will come soon after. Say about or just before Jan 25 (just in time for my Birthday)! Joy! Did I get that about right Sire? Did I miss anything? :D

sire
10-21-2003, 02:32 AM
Did I get that about right Sire?

Well, I prefer to keep such realistic pessimism silent, as probably some NewTek guys are browsing this thread, and I don't want to take the pressure from them delivering a stable point zero release on schedule.
... And as my birthday is not earlier than march 29th, I also prefer to not wish waiting for so long.

:)

dglenn
10-21-2003, 05:28 AM
Gee, I've been hacking code, data, and digital media for nearly 20 years now. If I have learned anything at all, it is that manipulating ones and zeros can be an object lesson in humility sometimes. I've had the best graphic package in the world crash because one function of it failed. It happens to the best of them.
I think that NewTek is doing their best, and I'm sure that they will pull a real fancy rabbit out of their hat this time - no matter how many bug fixes they have to do. ;)

FYI: My main computer science professor was named Dr. Murphy.

zarti
10-21-2003, 05:57 AM
Obvliously the NT staff is the best!
....at least for us, (while we are browsing NT's web site). :cool:
They are doing their job and it will be the best again.
This needs its proper time. And for me, they can have all the
time they need to release their artwork.
Remember what you do everyday: you haven't finished your
artwork yet, so you can not demo it to your client in the current state.
Now imagine if you could have as an extra and that *little* presure
of finishing it as soon as possible.

I don't know how much we can affect those who are talking
1-s & 0-s to the computers, just writing in this forum.
If so, then we must support them.

Don't forget that the most difficult part belongs to us, after they
pass the LightWave to us. :D
** To create beautiful stills/+animations**

RESPECT!

dglenn
10-21-2003, 10:23 PM
How Philosophical!
<I stare at the screen, read and contemplate>

No Icon can express it!

Gota go chant now!

<I find my center>

See Yea!

cresshead
10-22-2003, 06:32 AM
as you know, we're also getting a bunch of tools/capabilities that we know nothng about as yet..in addition to what was shown at siggraph 2003...maybe they're trying to chuck a whole load of V cool goodies in too...

also note that with max 6 now out and maya 5 plus it's little game extras out now in addition to what cinema8x has..newtek can see the current playing field and react to it if it need to forge ahead of it's competitors in marketing cool features...

so..i think xmas would be a good time..enough for newtek to finish off neat stuff and give a great holiday to boot!

jcool
12-08-2003, 08:58 AM
Hmm.. well, 25% of the voters here have struck out... 3 weeks left to see who wins this..

badllarma
12-08-2003, 09:23 AM
I'd like another vote ;)
31st of December at 11:59:59 pm
We will all be to drunk to notice until dinner the following day :D

I can just see it now the poor sod at newtek who draws the short straw and has to put it on the server, "cannot understand it they have been bitching and winning for months about it we upload it and no downloads after 2 hours, you just carn't win with these users at all!"
:D

cresshead
12-08-2003, 10:42 AM
if it doesn't appear before 31 dec..i'll try n stay a wee bit sober just to get lw8 IF it does come out at 11:59:59!

Zach
12-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Me too! I'll download it onto my phone if i have to!

jcool
12-23-2003, 10:21 AM
And the winner is..... 2004!

Not to be a jerk here, I know Newtek really thought it would be ready, but after many disappoinments, I always assume software will be a quarter late.

I'm sure it'll still be released before Modo though... ;)

Quicksilver
12-23-2003, 11:03 AM
...I don't see it coming...do you?:confused:

nerdyguy227
12-23-2003, 11:21 AM
I know its coming 2004 because Chuck said so!

pauland
12-23-2003, 02:23 PM
..err, actually he didn't. He said it wouldn't be out this year...

;-)

Paul

nerdyguy227
12-23-2003, 02:39 PM
:p

jcool
12-26-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by pauland
..err, actually he didn't. He said it wouldn't be out this year...

;-)

Paul

Yeah, I guess it could be 2005..

nerdyguy227
12-26-2003, 02:50 PM
or 2006!
Then I would get mad.

dglenn
12-31-2003, 11:54 PM
Well, I've been holding off until the last moment, but the last I've heard that it will be sometime in January. Late January, I think. Thats the word I heard just before X-mass week when I took off for vacation. :( Sorry! My guess is that my Prophecy of Light Wave release is going to come to pass.

On My Birthday:
The seventh seal will be broken!
All the Cats and Dogs will be living together!
And Light Wave 8 th will be released on us all!

Sorry! couldn't resist! ;)
Gotta have a sense of humor in this line of work!:D

David

Happy New Year All!