PDA

View Full Version : Best 3D Magazines

c5m7b4
10-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Hey all,
I have been thinking about subscribing to some 3D magazines. I figure they should help a lot with the learning process. I know Maya and 3DS max are pretty prevalent so do you have any suggestions on magazines that cover enough Lightwave stuff to make it worth while? I know the tools should translate between all 3D Applications, but I have experimented with Maya(student version back in the Unreal 2003 days) and 3DS Max, and they are all pretty different to a noob like myself.

Thanks in advance,
C5

Surrealist.
10-12-2011, 07:37 PM
A magazine is great for keeping in touch with industry trends and reading up on other applications and taking that information and applying it to your own app and just in general being well briefed about the industry as a whole. It is a great addition to learning.

3D Artist is a great choice in my opinion. Seems to have lots of tuts and you can really get a feel for what is happening in the industry with that mag.

For LightWave back in the day LightWave Pro was a great mag for learning and I used to keep them for reference. I don't know what the online equivalent to that would be today.

But in general I would look to the magazines you get to be a more general knowledge source than app specific.

Learning how things are done in other apps is a great source of ideas about how to do things in your own app or bend it to do things it was not designed for.

On that note a good read through the manuals of apps like Softimage or Maya can be very enlightening. And you'd be surprised how much of the information is useful generally.

c5m7b4
10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the advice Richard. I just looked at your site and you have done some amazing work. I really love the piano playing with the hands only in the reflection of the piano!! That is pretty awesome!! I agree with your philosophy of using the trade and not the application as a learning tool, but I was hoping of honing in on Lightwave. Maya and 3DS max are so expensive. I have spent a month or so with Blender which I think is amazing as well, but I have fell in love with Lightwave and after investing in it, I would really like to stick with it as my medium although Blender will stay near and dear to me. Cant beat open source community and the power that is has. Thanks for the advice and I'll check out 3D artist. Oh, I downloaded our tut and I'm watching that next. Thanks for the tut.
C5

kallis
10-13-2011, 01:54 AM
3D Artist seems to be having at least one lw tutorial in each issue!

//Kallis

safetyman
10-13-2011, 05:50 AM
3D World is really good too and they seem to have as much LW stuff as any. Both 3D World and 3D Artist both usually have great free stuff on their DVDs that come with the mag.

Surrealist.
10-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the advice Richard. I just looked at your site and you have done some amazing work. I really love the piano playing with the hands only in the reflection of the piano!! That is pretty awesome!! I agree with your philosophy of using the trade and not the application as a learning tool, but I was hoping of honing in on Lightwave. Maya and 3DS max are so expensive. I have spent a month or so with Blender which I think is amazing as well, but I have fell in love with Lightwave and after investing in it, I would really like to stick with it as my medium although Blender will stay near and dear to me. Cant beat open source community and the power that is has. Thanks for the advice and I'll check out 3D artist. Oh, I downloaded our tut and I'm watching that next. Thanks for the tut.
C5

Thanks for the complements.

You can not loose by focusing on LightWave. There is probably more work in LightWave currently than Blender. And of course, LightWave has many great features, depending on what you want to do.

Unfortunately you won't find it takes up as much of the market share that Maya and Max do. And that is reflected in the tutorials in mags. I am not aware of any mags being heavy on LightWave.

For Training, really, dollar for dollar you are better off putting your money into books and DVDs for learning. Or even subscribe to something like Kurv (http://www.kurvstudios.com/shop_closed.html) where they focus on Lightwave. They're currently updating the site, but check back later.

Or maybe you could search around for some other tutorial sites. Lots of stuff available for LightWave.

wesleycorgi
10-13-2011, 06:47 PM
I agree for tutes, I would buy content from sites like Liberty 3D or CG Masters. But for a plane ride nothing beats a magazine. I travel a lot so I keep 3D World in my backpack --- not too much LW stuff, but the articles and portfolio work are pretty inspirational.

Loregrant
10-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Hmm.. I used to sub to Newtekniques (I think that was it?) back in the day. I was out of the picture for about half a decade.. what ever happened to them?

vector
10-14-2011, 12:56 AM
http://www.pixeltale.com/images/RenderOut_Sep2008Gr.jpg

This is a nice free magazine, but only spanish language. It has nice galleries though.

Too much time without new issues, I must say :(

http://www.pixeltale.com/RenderOut.php

Vector