PDA

View Full Version : Normalmap from ZB shows polygons

sergiox
10-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi there,

Possible, it's a common question, but I could'n find an answer in the forum (too tired?)

I'm doing tests with Diplacement and Normal maps generated in ZBrush 4. The normal map, applied as usually, shows the polygons of the objet with different values of gray, and the edges look like veins.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=98636&stc=1&d=1318433673

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Sergiox

dpont
10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Do you get the same issue,
using an Image node instead of the Normal Map node
with its Color plugged in the Color input of the (DPKit) Object2Tangent node?
(You will need to select Tangent Space mode and selecting your
UVMap in Object2Tangent node)

Denis.

sergiox
10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi Denis. First, thanks for your answer.

Yep, using the image node I did get the same result. I can't see the polygon structure in the image itself, so I guess the problem isn't there.

When I apply some color info to the mesh, the effect get "reduced", but you still can see the veins and polygons. The problem is there, but the color information "stresses" the eyes :)

I'll keep trying. Please tell me if you have another possible solution.

Cheers,

sergiox

PD: the DPKit node name here is Object Tangent, not Object2Tanget. Could be that the reason for it not to be working exactly as you say?

probiner
10-12-2011, 10:20 PM
To me it seems that the low-res object at bake time, it's different than the object you are using at render time.

If those 2 have differences the calculated normals won't fit right.

Cheers

sergiox
10-12-2011, 11:13 PM
To me it seems that the low-res object at bake time, it's different than the object you are using at render time.

Hi, probiner. Thanks for your contribution.

The object res is exactly the same in both sides: I export the mesh and generate the maps using the lowest res. I did test with the default sphere too, obteining the same result.

If those 2 have differences the calculated normals won't fit right.

I think there are no problems. The normals are in the correct place and with a good look with high subpatch level.

After the re-test with the sphere, I did try using "Tangents" when exporting from ZB. It looks great, but a little part of the object isn't included in the generated normal map. It can be noted in the image itself, but I did test aplying this image as texture in ZBrush, and it shows that the normal map it generates isn't complete.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=98653&stc=1&d=1318483742
In ZBrush

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=98654&stc=1&d=1318484490
In Lightwave

Still trying. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Sensei
10-13-2011, 12:25 AM
If you're using LW v10.0+ make sure that image is not modified by color space conversion..

sergiox
10-13-2011, 01:12 AM
If you're using LW v10.0+ make sure that image is not modified by color space conversion..

Thanks Sensei. It sounds reasonable. I'll test that at work tomorrow.

Good night/day/afternoon.

Deadlyforce
03-28-2012, 09:20 AM
In fact I ran recently into the same (very annoying) problem. It seems that it is color space related indeed. Switching my Normal Map from "Default" to "linear" solved it. So, thank you Sensei !