PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch weighting doesn't seem to work.

PabloMack
10-10-2011, 09:52 AM
I followed a tutorial on how to bias the strength of a subpatch (http://chrisevans3d.com/tutorials/weights.htm). I selected W in the lower right of Modeler and selected SubPatch Weight. I then Select the Map tab at the top and activated the Weights option and brought up the panel using the N command. Viewing in Weight Shade rendering mode I can see the color change to orange as I Apply positive value with Fallooff None selected. However, the shape of the surface does not change. It is too tight and I want to relax it some. But making it bluer with a negative value doesn't change the shape in the prerender either. Am I doing something wrong or is this a 9.6 bug (or do I have something disabled that is supposed to be enabled)?

Sensei
10-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Sub-Patch weights are for traditional sub-patches. If you're using Catmull-Clark sub-d, you have edge weighting.

If you're using traditional sub-patches, try using Set Map Value.

PabloMack
10-11-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't see "Set Map Value" under the Map Tab. Is this the thing that comes up when you the press 'N' command under the Map Tab with "Weights" activated?

Sensei
10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
You must have completely screwed up GUI.. Maybe time to delete configs so they will be recreated? Set Map Value is the first button in Map tab in Modeler, since ever..

PabloMack
10-11-2011, 04:09 PM
I must be going blind. It is right there at the top as you say. I can Set the Map Value as I can in the Weight Tool. The color changes toward red or blue depending on the value. However, the shape of the curve always stays the same. Is this one of those things that you can only see in the final render?

Sensei
10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
No, it should be immediately visible.
Like I said, you must have Sub-D set to original legacy sub-patches, not Catmull-Clark. I don't have other ideas than that. Better attach your object to reply so we can check it.

XswampyX
10-11-2011, 05:30 PM
It doesn't work like you think. 100% is no subpatch, -100% = 200% subpatch.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/SPW2.jpg

PabloMack
10-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I made a simple cube and I enabled SubD on it. I get a sphere with an original cube cage. I can bias it to -100 (blue) or +100 (red). In both cases, I still just get a sphere. If I select SubD-Type: SubPatch or SubD-Type: Catmull-Clark. It doesn't matter. I still get a blue sphere or a red sphere. I have attached a picture showing both. If I understand XswampyX's explanation, I should get a blue sphere or a red cube at the two extremes. Anything in between should be a cube with varying degrees of rounded corners and it is green at 0%. But I always get a sphere (even a green sphere). The shape never changes.

Sensei
10-11-2011, 09:54 PM
It's important what you have picked up INITIALLY in Sub-D Type, before pressing tab.
So, press tab, then pick up Sub-D Type: Subpatch, then press tab again. And voila.

Sensei
10-11-2011, 09:56 PM
In Detail tab there are three commands Set Face, Set Subpatch, Set CC, that will convert whatever is selected in layer to certain type of geometry. So you can just press Set Subpatch and will have the same effect.

Sensei
10-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Catmull-Clark sub-patches don't have vertex weighting. They have edge weighting, that you control using Detail > Set Sharpness, Inc Sharpness, Dec Sharpness. or mine interactive tool Adjust Sharpness, that you can download from mine website here
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/AdjustSharpness

PabloMack
10-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Sinsei: As I avoid even using the Tab key and use the "Set CC", "Set Sharpness" and edges to control the strength of the curvature, I am now starting to get something that I think may work. Traditional SubPatches don't seem to give me what I want as they pull the surface away from anker points that I want them to adhere to, plus they are limited to 3 or 4 sided polygons. I think you almost have to make your whole object SubPatched or not in order for the surfaces to remain contiguous. So I will pursure the CC method with edge strength control as you described. Thanks so much for your help.

Sensei
10-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Edge weighting is lost when CC are edited (new geometry added, modifying position is fine) by tools that don't handle it properly, which means every tool in LW.
The only tools that allow cutting CC with edge weighting applied, are mine own, EasySplit http://easysplit.trueart.pl & SwiftEdgeLoop..

PabloMack
10-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Curve control by corner points doesn't seem to be consistent when using CC's. See in the picture how the upper corner is only used as a bias (which is what I want) while the curve strictly adheres to the lower left and right corners (bad).

jeric_synergy
04-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Edge weighting is lost when CC are edited (new geometry added, modifying position is fine) by tools that don't handle it properly, which means every tool in LW.
The only tools that allow cutting CC with edge weighting applied, are mine own, EasySplit http://easysplit.trueart.pl & SwiftEdgeLoop..

Man, that is a pretty big BUG I'd say, good thing EasySplit exists!

+++++++++++

While we're talking about weight maps: The visible UI of the Airbrush tool is not changing when I adjust the RADIUS parameter of the tool (2018). Is that normal? Is the radius supposed to be invisible? There is a visible circle when using Airbrush, but it's not changing.