PDA

View Full Version : Why bother with UV maps?

aidenvfx
10-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I am curious about how important UV maps are VS just doing the texturing straight in lightwave? What are the main benefits one gets from UV maps VS straight texturing ect?

Philbert
10-09-2011, 10:03 PM
In many situations it just isn't possible to do it with what's built into LightWave (or other 3D apps like max / maya for example). Aside from that UVs are certainly one way to bring your model to and from other aplications. For example build your model in LW, throw it over to 3D-Coat to paint your textures, then back to LightWave for rendering. This couldn't be done without UVs.

Say you're texturing a character, you just can't do it without hand painting or applying photo based textures and the only way to get that mapped correctly on the model is a UV map.

Snosrap
10-09-2011, 10:10 PM
From my point of view I use whats appropriate for the task at hand. 80% of my work I can get by with the basic planar or cubic projections. The benefits of UV projections are placing details exactly where you want them on your object. Any kind of creature work you would probably want to UV map. If you work in archviz you probably would not need to UV much of anything.

jasonwestmas
10-09-2011, 10:11 PM
The main reason is to have vertex control on how an image is projected onto a low polygon cage. You can theoretically use vertex colors (Like Zbrush polypaint) and create something that has a complex surface but Lightwave wouldn't be able to handle the number of verts required to do so. But LW can in fact handle many, many pixels in bitmap images throughout your scene. You just need enough ram to get the desired level of detailing based on what the camera sees. With procedural textures, you are quite limited to the program's more "simplistic" mapping methods.

Plus bitmaps are just so much more flexible to surface with, plus you can tile them just like you can with a procedural if that works with the geometry at hand.

aidenvfx
10-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Thank you for your responses they are very useful for helping me understand certain workflows I would want to use.

Serling
10-09-2011, 10:42 PM
I am curious about how important UV maps are VS just doing the texturing straight in lightwave? What are the main benefits one gets from UV maps VS straight texturing ect?

I just did a couple of models of hair care product bottles for a friend in that business. UV mapping was a quick, relatively painless way to get text and labels on the bottles without having to model the text and place it, too.

And it looked good.

I'd show you a sample, but not at other computer right now and too tired to go to it. (Ahhhh, the luxurious life of laptops and LaZboys!)

Danner
10-10-2011, 03:15 AM
couple of other points

UVs are also a must for game assets and realtime objects in general.

UVs will let you clone an object in modeler and the texture will not move.

rcallicotte
10-10-2011, 06:58 AM
This was all very educational. THANKS to everyone who asked and answered.

NanoGator
10-10-2011, 07:35 AM
The main reason I use UVs almost exclusively is I can take a chunk of a model, copy/paste/rescale it, and it'll still look the way I expect. Projections don't stick so in that scenario I would have to work around it.

3DGFXStudios
10-10-2011, 08:50 AM
I see the lw way as a quick and dirty texturing trick ;). UV's are much nicer to work with especially when you want to export it to an other application.

skywalker113
10-12-2011, 11:58 AM
does anyone know if 3ds max has cubic projection like in lightwave?

geo_n
10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
does anyone know if 3ds max has cubic projection like in lightwave?

It has cubic, spherical, cylindrical, unwrappers, etc. Check out textools and rttassist :D

If one is lazy to do uv map the easiest is to use atlas map in lightwave then paint in 3dcoat. Scale the uv map with plg before sending to 3dcoat. Fastest way so far without going the ptext route.

moussepipi2000
10-14-2011, 01:06 AM
i thought it was a ptex thread, lol.

dwburman
10-15-2011, 08:03 PM
UV maps are also good for putting pictures/video in frames or on screens. Make the first screen, add a UV and clone/array/position your screens in on any angle in modeler and your images will be projected correctly.

You can take a hybrid approach. Build your object with UVs but then do your texturing using procedurals and non-UV projections then use the Surface Baking Camera to bake the your procedural surfaces to a UV Image Map.

Philbert
10-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Here's a little clip from an animation I finished for a client a few days ago, I don't think the arrows could have been done without a UV map. I simply made a couple of colored poly strips that ran around the battery and the arrow shape is a simple animated texture acting as the transparency map.

http://screencast.com/t/WOAp5kHb