PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Export problem with LW 10.1

Ma3rk
10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
I've run into a problem when I started doing some Z-Depth experiments with the 64-bit version of LW 10.1. When I perform the same tests on a separate machine running the 32-bit version of LW 9.6.1, I get the expected results however.

In LW10 and using Buffer View, an F9 render shows anticipated output in Image Viewer as well as the Depth Layer. But if I use the Buffer Export image filter to save out the Depth buffer, the rendered frame is nearly blank (white) except for very small light gray band at bottom of frame. If I try to save the Depth Layer from the Image Viewer menu, I get the same result although saving the RGB frame works as normal.

In LW 9.6, saving the Depth layer works as expected, as well as the Buffer Export output.

In the 64-bit versions of Buffer View and Buffer Export, there is an option Tab for Depth Options that isn't in the 9,6 version. I've tried all combinations w/o any different to the Buffer Export output.

The LW10 docs have no information on these filters nor the Z Buffer Min Max usage in the Render Globals such as when do you actually use them, or do they have any interaction with the Buffer View and Buffer Export image filters.

In short, is this a know issue? I couldn't find anything here in the forum. Can other LW10 users replicate this problem?

System is running Windows 7 Pro with a 12 core Intel i7 970 CPU, 24 Gb RAM, and Nvidia Quadro 400 display card.

Thanks,

Ma3rk

djwaterman
10-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Actually, without doing any testing to see if what I'm about to say is true or not, I'm wondering if it has something to do with floating point, as in the display is showing a blown out version of the depth map, because I recently did some depth map sequences and didn't have a problem ( in 10).

Just a thought bubble.

djwaterman
10-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Well I just checked and all seems fine, I couldn't get any bad results by swapping around the various display settings. I don't know if this little checkbox is important, it's set to 8 bit by default.

Ma3rk
10-11-2011, 06:48 AM
I tried all options available with the same results. Thanks though for running some tests as that gives me some more info to report.

M.

Ma3rk
11-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Follow Up:

Probably just talking to myself but for posterity I figured I should add these comments. I hate it when something as niggly as this little problem persists and no one else seems to have any issue. I finally got some time to pick it apart and found that I can get the results I need but only if I leave the Normalize to 8-Bit option checked and in conjunction with the Use Z-Buffer Min and Max under Render Globals Render tab. Curious now as to when you would uncheck that option.

M.

Sensei
11-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Z-Buffer with absolute distance from camera to spot would allow easier calculating world spot position and camera origin.