PDA

View Full Version : 3D cartoon series project, that needs support ....

Pignoo
10-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Hello everybody,

If you have one minute, please take a look here :

http://setuptab.com/index.php?topic=4868.0

Regards,
Franck.:help:

silviotoledo
10-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Nice animation and cool design! It will be a winner project for sure!

rednova
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Dear Friend:

I cannot afford to send money.
But I wish you for the best!!!
I hope your dream succeeds and makes you good money.
Good luck !!!

rednova

jasonwestmas
10-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Your animation and choreography is HAUT! Wish I could help you out. Keep going man, I hope to see this stuff on TV soon.

Pignoo
10-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Hello pals,

Thanks for your cool comments ! Very appreciated.
I really need financial support, but it seems not so easy to obtain....

Dont hesitate to diffuse the project link to the world, you will help me a lot !!

Thanks. ;)

silviotoledo
10-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Don't worry. No stress. Just go ahead and keep working. Your project is beauty and will find funds soon!

I've trying finance there's 12 years for my projects and I'm still in fight.
12 years before a company form USA wanted to invest 5 million dollars in my project, but it did not happen. Other 2 big opportunies happened but no investment...

Now Brazilian government invests around 400 Millions dollars per year in films in Brazil. Part of this investment ( in animation area ) is part of my contribution once I founded an Association that changed the game. Several "friends" got money but I'm still in fight :). If not I will finance the film myself once costs are in drecrease.

World is changing, more Tvs and more animation needed, I will get funds somehow.

Contact Canadian TVs and also take a look at MIPCOM event. It's a great chance to get funds. MIPCOM Jr. in Cannes France happen every year and all TV producers will be there looking for new projetcs.

I can help you on a businessplan and finance project if you need.

Now you have a great material you need good finance plan to sell your project. Don't think only as an artist but as a businessman too.

There's a big amount of money in Brazil for international Co-production too. I'm not sure with wich countries. Where are you from? Paris???? Why aren't you at MIPCOM?

jasonwestmas
10-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of mediocre stuff on TV and lots of repeats so someday people are gonna get bored if they aren't already. I suppose it's the cost of animation in general that keeps good 3D animation off there air (Commercials Excluded). It's a lot of work but good software and faster computers does help to speed things up.

silviotoledo
10-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of mediocre stuff on TV ...

Yeah. Today there's too much TVs and more and more animation is needed, so people series with 52 episodes instead of only 13 :). Too much work. So producers does cutout animation in flash ( I hate ) and only one animator does a complete episode in less than 15 days :). Terrible if you don't have a simplified design and a great idea to compensate the poor tech.

The result is that the TV also pays poor money ( in Brazil only $ 3k per half hour program for TV and it's one of the best markets under USA, Canadá, England and France ). So you need to sell your project for 100 or more TVs in the world to get your funds back. Or you need a super low cost production or you need PUPPETS and LICENCING...

The best is to keep a clean budget and attack in all areas same time. Cinema, Tv, Games, Puppets, Licencing, Cable Tv, Home DVD, DVD rentals... You need a businessplan.

You can't spend more money than you will get back. Tv series pays a low money but there's some TVs in Canada that invests around $ 250 K per episode and others in USA that invests more than $1 million per episode 'cause they sell joinned several other products.

jasonwestmas
10-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Yeah. Today there's too much TVs and more and more animation is needed, so people series with 52 episodes instead of only 13 :). Too much work. So producers does cutout animation in flash ( I hate ) and only one animator does a complete episode in less than 15 days :). Terrible if you don't have a simplified design and a great idea to compensate the poor tech.

The result is that the TV also pays poor money ( in Brazil only $ 3k per half hour program for TV and it's one of the best markets under USA, Canadá, England and France ). So you need to sell your project for 100 or more TVs in the world to get your funds back. Or you need a super low cost production or you need PUPPETS and LICENCING...

The best is to keep a clean budget and attack in all areas same time. Cinema, Tv, Games, Puppets, Licencing, Cable Tv, Home DVD, DVD rentals... You need a businessplan.

You can't spend more money than you will get back. Tv series pays a low money but there's some TVs in Canada that invests around $ 250 K per episode and others in USA that invests more than $1 million per episode 'cause they sell joinned several other products.

This is interesting to me because I eventually want to get out of video game projects and into animated television series. I certainly wouldn't do it for just the money but yeah 3K for a half hour of 3D animation is certainly too low for a small Team.

silviotoledo
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
The projects done with love are the only ones that persists between generations. Some get a lot of money and some get nothing. Some films takes all your life to be done. So it's good to know in mind the purpose of doing these things.

There's also a big difference between arts and business. TV series are business that uses ( or not ) art.

Pignoo
10-13-2011, 02:29 AM
Don't worry. No stress. Just go ahead and keep working. Your project is beauty and will find funds soon!

I've trying finance there's 12 years for my projects and I'm still in fight.
12 years before a company form USA wanted to invest 5 million dollars in my project, but it did not happen. Other 2 big opportunies happened but no investment...

Now Brazilian government invests around 400 Millions dollars per year in films in Brazil. Part of this investment ( in animation area ) is part of my contribution once I founded an Association that changed the game. Several "friends" got money but I'm still in fight :). If not I will finance the film myself once costs are in drecrease.

World is changing, more Tvs and more animation needed, I will get funds somehow.

Contact Canadian TVs and also take a look at MIPCOM event. It's a great chance to get funds. MIPCOM Jr. in Cannes France happen every year and all TV producers will be there looking for new projetcs.

I can help you on a businessplan and finance project if you need.

Now you have a great material you need good finance plan to sell your project. Don't think only as an artist but as a businessman too.

There's a big amount of money in Brazil for international Co-production too. I'm not sure with wich countries. Where are you from? Paris???? Why aren't you at MIPCOM?

Hi Silvio,

Thanks for your advice and comments about my project.

I am confident in the fact of producing the series, after the pilot is finish.
But this is just difficult to raise funds for that pilot. For now I'm trying by unconventional methods.

Not totally ready for the business plan yet, I keep concentrate for the pilot at the moment.

Thanks for sharing with us your experience.

Regards,

vector
10-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Atonishing! Have you used LW at anytime? Modelling, texturing? Only Messiah?

Vector

Pignoo
10-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Atonishing! Have you used LW at anytime? Modelling, texturing? Only Messiah?

Vector

Before I used XSI (rig/animation) and LW(modeling/rendering)...and after Messiah (rig/animation) and LW(modeling/rendering)...

And now I only use Messiah, so easy and powerful !! :thumbsup:

Regards,

vector
10-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Anyway I will post your project in my blog (only Lw content but this is a good exception to this rule, as old Lwer you are ;) )

I hope it helps a little bit

Vector

Pignoo
10-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Thanks Vector ! ;)

Very kind from you, doing this.
Note that I still use LW for modeling and sometimes hypervoxels or sasquatch.

Cheers,

silviotoledo
10-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Pignoo

Producers will not recomend you do a Pilot. For a TV series you need a TV as partner and they will want to expose their ideas too.

I know you want to do a film, but remember that there's a big difference between art and business and Tv series is business. A short is kinda art.

So you must decide if you want a short or a series project.

The best is to keep your efforts on a Bible. I reffer to project Bible wich is what sell the project, not the pilot itself. Pilot is complementary and sometimes not necessary. That's what specialized people from market says, not me.

Take a look at this:

http://chrisoatley.com/2011/03/03/heatherkenyon/

http://lineboil.com/2009/03/how-to-pitch-an-animated-tv-series/

Start doing contacts with some french Tv producers. MIPCOM is the place you must be. All Tv producers from the world at the same place. I'm sure French government will have a lot of funds for financing projects once you have a letter of agreement with a TV what is not difficult to get, sometimes. What our government is doing in Brazil ( financing 10 Tv series each year and around 40 animations shorts and 40 pilots ) is copy of what French government did before.

Get MIPCOM catalogue and start sending the link to some Tv producers. But don't send only the pilot or animation short. They wanna see the business side of this too.

That's the confusion and misunderstanding when artists wanna do art and Tv people wanna do business.

Pignoo
10-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Silvio,

thanks a lot for all of this.
But this is not the way I feel for this project....

I wanna do the pilot without producer or channel TV to be totally free on the artistic side. After that my project could be a little modified but not to much.
If my pilot is sexy, it will help a lot of course !

For my last TV serie I did the pilot and the Bibles alone, and work this way, so it's possible.

For this new tv serie I wanna specially create my little production society and the studio which create the episodes ( pre-prod/prod/post-prod ).
This is possible because it's a little serie...not too big project.

This is the main reason I don't use the traditionnal Mipcom, CNC, etc....
I wanna try something else to be more independant with business, pipeline fabrication, and with artistic...we will see.

This is a real challenge, an adventure and I hope I could success.

Regards,

wibly wobly
10-13-2011, 07:16 PM
You have a pretty good sense of timing and the character design is working pretty well to. I wish you luck on making this outside the system. I'd love to do something like this as well one of these days. There are so many loopholes and problems of going the traditional route right now, not to mention the loss of control you usually have. It's so much harder to get funding and retaining freedom then it used to be.

The only criticism that I'd offer is your use of the camera. It may be that you're intentionally doing this, I'm not sure as it's hard to gauge it based on such a short clip but, it really reminds me of old limited animation camera work / story boarding. It's very flat and has very few camera angles. You have some great exaggerated punchy timing going on and I think you could really pump up the comedy and emotional impact if you use some more camera positions and more varied camera angles / lenses.

Good luck.

Pignoo
10-14-2011, 01:25 AM
You have a pretty good sense of timing and the character design is working pretty well to. I wish you luck on making this outside the system. I'd love to do something like this as well one of these days. There are so many loopholes and problems of going the traditional route right now, not to mention the loss of control you usually have. It's so much harder to get funding and retaining freedom then it used to be.

The only criticism that I'd offer is your use of the camera. It may be that you're intentionally doing this, I'm not sure as it's hard to gauge it based on such a short clip but, it really reminds me of old limited animation camera work / story boarding. It's very flat and has very few camera angles. You have some great exaggerated punchy timing going on and I think you could really pump up the comedy and emotional impact if you use some more camera positions and more varied camera angles / lenses.

Good luck.

Thanks for your comments and advices !

For the camera, this is because I like the old 2D cartoon camera style....and because this is very short project too.

But for my first TV serie 52X7', I used the camera with more angles to help animation and narration.

Anyway thanks for your criticism, this always instructive.

Regards, ;)

wibly wobly
10-14-2011, 07:53 AM
You obviously know how to animate, that's why I got the feeling it was a stylistic choice. I would be surprised if someone with the skills you have would unintentionally do something like that.