PDA

View Full Version : Consolidation of Rarest Cutting Edge Info about LW10.x

jasonwestmas
10-07-2011, 01:39 PM
By Rarest Cutting edge information I'm not talking necessarily about unpopular, complex information. Actually just the opposite. Information about LW10.x that is cutting edge in Lightwave that we didn't have before in LW; information that in fact brings more users to use it and keep on using it in their pipeline and have the small nuances of that technology easily accessible and enjoyable without scraping for something like we are all doing now. With nothing more than the Lightwave search engine and little tid-bits of professional LW help here and there if we are lucky.

Part of gaining and maintaining newer users and independant users that don't live in a Lighwave-only company/ environment is to make all this Community Driven Rarest most cutting edge information readily accessible and filtered from all older and more widely know information on the forums. The current general documentation and search engine method should be a last resort, as it is obvious to most that it is the Lightwave community that drives the "help system" for current and rarest information about lightwave.

So any filtering system or hierarchy that makes this Rare information that is buried within the forums more easily accessible would be more than greatly accessible and would be really beneficial in helping to sell more seats of Lightwave.

Right now, I can think of these subjects that are currrently scattered accross the forums buried beneath a lot of jibber jabber. Jibber jabber can be good but it's still noise to someone who is searching for pertinent information for latest and rarest info.

Subjects I know about are out there but are buried in the LW sea:

-How to use Displacement Maps from scultping apps.

-How to use Displacement Maps with Point Cache from other apps.

- How to setup Zbrush and 3D Coat for use with LW's UV modes.

- UV unwrapping and projection techniques for Displacements, color, Ambient Occlusion, Cavity, Specular and Normal maps.

- Do's and Don'ts of Fiber FX; getting the best results.

-Hair and Fur styling techniques.

- Getting the most out of the Skin material node. How is it different from Simple Skin material node. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using either.

-Making FBX work best with Motion Builder, Unity and UDK

Please pass that along to LW management/marketing if you think it would help, thanks! Steve Bowie is already aware. =)

jasonwestmas
10-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Something like what Wegg did over at setup tab would be nice. Only the most secret OR cutting edge LW 10.x topics would be stickied by our Moderator.

We could call it the Lightwave 10.x Vault! :D Except any registered user would have access to the info.

http://setuptab.com/index.php?board=33.0

jasonwestmas
10-07-2011, 02:52 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Okay So I see that there are two stickies, one for William Vaughan's general LW training videos. The other is for Fiber FX in 10.1.

I was thinking maybe we could make a more cutting edge a Tips and Tricks section (called the "Lightwave 10.x Vault" because it is filled with rare gems of information ;)) fully dedicated to cutting edge LW10.x Techniques. Put the LW10.1 Fiber FX Stickies in "The LW 10.x Vault" along with others. Cause I know that there is a lot of old garbage that got fixed in 10.1 and someone searching for up to date info would appreciate it.

Yay, Nay?

OH! and don't for get the rating system. If we keep voting that would help Steve or any other moderator sticky really cool stuff that is posted in the Lw10.x Vault. That's the idea anyway.

probiner
10-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Yay

I would say that, what you want is what the LightWiki should be doing.
It was a corner with techniques really focused on LW, its limitations and how to get the best out of it.

But Lightwiki is a bit in Archive mode now. http://www.esaa-aquitaine.com/lightwiki/public_html/index.php?title=Main_Page

There's also http://lwhub.wordpress.com/ from Petter Sundnes, where his idea was to have many LW resources storaged in a blog format, with several members of the community as managers so that they wouldn't eclipse like Flay did.
Unfortunately there was not much support as far I can tell

But, I understand you want something NT forum based, because people come here for help and to have some info stick'ed instead of having to dig every time, especially when you are new and don't know how. And to be the company's forum, it would feel more professional and centralized.
On the other hand every time there's a request (and most times they are quite reasonable) you don't see it happen and if it's not NT will to do so, they are on their right and the community should do it itself, instead of keep pushing (even if it would be good for everyone I guess).

Cheers

jasonwestmas
10-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for your thoughts as always Probiner.

I think I'm asking for something rather simple, except the sticky part. The moderator would have to keep up with what is cutting edge to LW10.x. I would and others would probably help out via the rating system and sending little notes to Steve. Which I know Steve is a pretty busy dude already. But this is about cutting edge features and workflow improvements, you know, rare Gems that are new to the LW community.

I just get a little frustrated when I have to dig up something that I read before and it was great and profound to learning the newest features; or something that I didn't know was in LW10.x to begin with; or a most excellent way to work Lightwave into another pipeline. I mean I could bookmark the thread but that doesn't mean the next guy is going to know, per chance of me seeing his questions about something I knew about 10.x.

I think those community supported website are great but you're right, it's so much more professional when the company supports it's own database. And what if the person who is supporting the website is no longer around or doesn't have time anymore, the site just gets neglected and sits there with nobody to back them up.

jasonwestmas
10-07-2011, 03:50 PM
What the heck, I promise I'll make a list of links/threads if this thing goes through. Easy to sticky then.

jasonwestmas
10-07-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.pixolator.com/

Pixologic has a section called "Did you know that for Zbrush 4". A great example for what I'm talking about. Unfortunately pixolator site won't let me give you a direct link. . .anyone?

wrench
10-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I really want to get LightWiki back up and running - I even paid for hosting at OVH and to get the domain registered for another three years, but I'm absolutely stuffed for time right now. I have a 2.3 GB backup on the site that needs unpacking and the database set up, but it can be back to what it was in August 2010 in fairly short order. Unfortunately, "fairly short order" is for someone who knows what they're doing, not someone like me who stumbles through every step of the way. If anyone out there wants to help out I would really appreciate it.

B

probiner
10-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Hey B, good to hear that. I feel your pain.

Now it's the time we say, hey webgurus bashing NT for the forum mess, step in here for a moment plz :D

jasonwestmas
10-07-2011, 06:12 PM
hey webgurus bashing NT for the forum mess, step in here for a moment plz :D

ABsolutely!

jasonwestmas
10-09-2011, 11:07 AM
http://www.pixolator.com/

Pixologic has a section called "Did you know that for Zbrush 4". A great example for what I'm talking about. Unfortunately pixolator site won't let me give you a direct link. . .anyone?

I think Pixologic's new Forum is rather cool. Here is the tutorial forum link.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?19-ZBrush-Tutorials-Forum

I love what they did where several artists were picked to do some quick little tutorials and artistic discoveries, showing off all the new features of ZB4R2. The way it's all presented is genius.

I mean, it's not all Hype, it's actual Constructive information for cutting edge features.