PDA

View Full Version : finding nemo [u.k release]

cresshead
10-13-2003, 06:32 PM
hi
just like to say that finding nemo is a great film..another hit from pixar for sure..yeh i realise that the usa saw it around 6 months back but we[u.k] only had it out on last friday.

my only damp [no pun intended] observation is that we seem to get alot of "a" trying to find "b" films in cgi of late and also relationship led films..dad n son, odd friends and lost characters trying to get back home!

they are all well written so i can't complain too much..i'm hoping that the next few cgi films take a risk or two and tread some new ground..though with final fantasy bombing so bad i doubt we'll see too much happening in the new ground risk dept.

cheers

Tronam
10-13-2003, 06:58 PM
The US animated film industry looks like it will be stuck in the light-hearted comedy genre for a long time and they adhere to very traditional themes. It's a shame, because while the animation can be ground breaking, the plot and storyline is hardly progressive at all. They play it safe every step of the way. But, that being said, Pixar does a wondrous job of doing the best they can with it. I really loved Finding Nemo, but I won't kid myself by thinking that it was revolutionary in any other way than possibly technologically on some levels. PDI though seems to hang out on the fringe a little more. It'll be interesting to see what their new, upcoming underwater film will be like. Feels a little seedy for them to choose that particular kind of environment for their new film, but I'm sure they'll produce something pretty fun and cynical. ;)

-Tronam

Titus
10-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Well, in my opinion Pixar and Disney movies are written taking small children in mind, they are only one step or two beyond the teletubbies :D .

js33
10-13-2003, 07:38 PM
Hehehe. That's true but at least they are well animated teletubies. :D

It is sad that no one wants to push the boundries too far. I think Shrek was at least geared a little more too adults than Pixar's films but not that much.

If they're not aimed at the "Family" audience they won't do as well at the box office or on DVD so sadly it's all about the money as usual.

Cheers,
JS

Stranahan
10-13-2003, 09:26 PM
I'll take Nemo ten times over Final Fantasy...

Matt
10-14-2003, 03:20 AM
I just saw Finding Nemo last night, have to say I loved it, besides I'm too busy going "oooohh, nice texture map", or "wow that looked photorealistic", or "how could I do that in LightWave?" To worry about the storyline!!!!

But I agree with you, I'd love Pixar to do an animated flick aimed at us olds!

:)

cresshead
10-14-2003, 03:26 AM
the usa get the dvd next month....i might get it so i don't have to wait 6 months to see it on my widescreen t.v in the u.k....

oh yeah and "nick nack" still does the biz for entertainment..was great to see it on the big screen rather than the vhs tape version i have at home [tiny stories]...it may have been quite basic tech wise but the gags and quality of animation were stunning..and i love that sound track.

steve g

Matt
10-14-2003, 04:00 AM
I can't wait to see 'The Incredibles', that looks funny and cinemas only according to the trailer?!?

Karmacop
10-14-2003, 04:01 AM
I was annoyed that they took the massive breasts off the girls in knick knack. Damn political correctness! :(

cresshead
10-14-2003, 04:16 AM
yeah it looked real odd with a flat chest...
strange how the video version which is aimed at kids had them but the film version had err...cut backs...looks as though things have changed over the last 2-3 years...plus the "disney factor" may have had it's share in the edit.

steve g

cholo
10-14-2003, 08:45 AM
I must say I disagree completely. I don't think Pixar's films are intended for children only. I think they deserve great merit for exploring stories that are apt for all ages, yet find a way to write them in a compelling way to make them enjoyable by a wide variety of audiences. I have seen many adults (no CG types either) going to the theatre to watch nemo for a second or third time without any children. Also, I don't think Monsters Inc was a conventional story either, but rather very original. In the end I think PDi also has it's merits, although their animation skills are a step or two behind pixar's. But both have great stories which is what ultimately sells the films to begin with :)

Matt
10-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Shrek had a lot more double entendres, donkey was just hilarious! Can't wait for Shrek 2!

Stranahan
10-14-2003, 09:02 AM
I'm agree with Cholo - Pixar's stories are great, and they are frankly the main reason for their success.

retinajoy
10-14-2003, 09:11 AM
I saw Nemo last with my girlie and friends and they loved it. It was an evening showing and the cinema was packed with adults and hardly any kids. A good film is a good film and can be enjoyed by all. I think this is my favourite of PIXARs along with Toy Story 2.

badllarma
10-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Must admit I enjoyed nemo but loved Shrek, went with 6 adults and a 2 children to see Shrek and there is some stuff that went over the heads of the kids but we all found very funny.

Also Monster Inc also appealed to a lot of adults who i know (non CG types).

At the end of the day it's just good old entertainment which is why it makes $300 million plus at the box office. Which at the end of the day what the studios are bothered about.

The one thing that they really want to sort out is the film should be released at the SAME time!
When will the studios learn the easyest way to cut piracy is to release world wide the same time so every one goes and sees it how it should be. I'm based in the UK the amount of people who are dying to see Nemo at it's offical US release date then went and got hold of a doggy DVD is unreal just out of the frustration of seeing splashed all over the press and then to find out we have to wait another month.

At last count I think 20 people I know have already seen the film before release and so plus children there is 30 or so sales gone. Why? not because they cannot afford it just the fact they want to see it but carn't for another month:rolleyes:

Studios really need to get this sorted out

Tronam
10-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Finding Nemo had me grinning all of the way through and the rest of the night. Amidst all of the mega-blockbuster, in-your-face crap that hit the screens this Summer, Nemo easily sticks out in my mind as one of the most entertaining films of the year. Pixar infuses a certain undying idealism into all of their films and I respect them for that. It seems as though almost everything, particularly in the mainstream media, has a layer of cynicism and insincerity to it. But not Pixar. They always give me the feeling that genuine love went into the making of their films.

But, at the same time, I would also like to see more progressive developments that advance the medium to also allow for stories that aren't always so "domestic" and ask more interesting questions. Pixar appeals to my heart, but perhaps others could also appeal to my mind. This is an area where traditional film is far more mature, diverse and dynamic.

-Tronam

Titus
10-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by retinajoy
enjoyed by all. I think this is my favourite of PIXARs along with Toy Story 2.

Yes, every last Pixar movie is my favourite until the next one.

anieves
10-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by cholo
I must say I disagree completely. I don't think Pixar's films are intended for children only. I think they deserve great merit for exploring stories that are apt for all ages, yet find a way to write them in a compelling way to make them enjoyable by a wide variety of audiences. I have seen many adults (no CG types either) going to the theatre to watch nemo for a second or third time without any children. Also, I don't think Monsters Inc was a conventional story either, but rather very original. In the end I think PDi also has it's merits, although their animation skills are a step or two behind pixar's. But both have great stories which is what ultimately sells the films to begin with :)

Moster's inc is the most original idea I have seen in years, yes, including Shrek. Shrek was good but Monsters inc was more engaging, entertaining and original. Many things in Shrek were aimed to tick Disney off. Will see what they do with Shrek2; oh, BTW I'm just waiting to see PDI announce a superhero movie:rolleyes: they are original like that...

js33
10-14-2003, 05:20 PM
I think PDI is working on an underwater movie now that Nemo was such a hit. ;)

Cheers,
JS

Karmacop
10-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Actually, I hear PDI's next movie is going to be about vehicles of some kind ;)

js33
10-14-2003, 07:32 PM
Don't forget about PDI's superhero family movie. :D

Cheers,
JS