PDA

View Full Version : Skype integration

DanielG
10-05-2011, 03:14 PM
I work for a church and we are connecting to our 3 satellite campuses via skype. We would like to know if we can use Skype on the Tricaster TCXD300 computer and integrate it via PIP.

Can Skype run on the Tricaster computer in the background and send program A/V as well as receive A/V?

PIZAZZ
10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
You will need to use a separate PC to receive the Skype video/audio. Then you can take the video to your TriCaster via iVGA, audio via analog out of the PC to the inputs of the TC or your audio console. If you don't know how or don't like iVGA then use a DVI to SDI convertor from BlackMagic Design. Simple easy and cheap. You end up eating up an input but the quality is very nice.

Take the program audio and video out of the TriCaster and feed it back into the Skype computer via an inexpensive capture card/usb/firewire adapter so the remote person can see and hear what is going on at the master campus.

Hint Hint: Use a Virtual input to crop and scale the Skype input into a PIP or Virtual Set 2Up even.

DanielG
10-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Extremely helpful thank you!!

joseburgos
10-08-2011, 07:11 AM
I want to add that I make sure to return video to the Skype computer otherwise I get what I call the Stevie Wonder affect. The person, not seeing you, forgets they are on camera and think they are on a voice only call. This makes for constant reminders to them to please look at their camera. I use Black Magic Decklink or Intensity Pro.
Also get the person on Skype to purchase a headset or a lav mic. Most people use the webcam mic or the built-in computer mic and it sound horrible.

csandy
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
The mic on Microsoft's HD webcams are actually very good. The auto focus will drive you nuts though.

jmmultex
11-16-2011, 01:49 PM
You will probably want to do a mix-minus on the audio feed you send back to remote Skype location - you don't want to send them back the audio they are sending to you. Even if feedback isn't a problem, the slightly delayed audio a person hears of themselves speaking can be really problematic, and make it difficult for the speaker to focus on what they are saying.

Best
John

joseburgos
11-16-2011, 08:03 PM
No probably about it, do a mix minus.
Here two Skype computers were used so two mic minus;
http://worldsciencefestival.com/webcasts/fabric

mahasf
12-17-2011, 07:17 AM
very well done, jose

joseburgos
12-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks
I handled the Skype and Chris, my son was the op (he is a freelance op taught by a highly ranked TriCaster master) :)

dkinskey
05-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I want to add that I make sure to return video to the Skype computer otherwise I get what I call the Stevie Wonder affect. The person, not seeing you, forgets they are on camera and think they are on a voice only call. This makes for constant reminders to them to please look at their camera. I use Black Magic Decklink or Intensity Pro.
Also get the person on Skype to purchase a headset or a lav mic. Most people use the webcam mic or the built-in computer mic and it sound horrible.

do you use the intensity in the skype computer or in the tricaster?

csandy
05-05-2012, 07:01 PM
do you use the intensity in the skype computer or in the tricaster?

Never, ever, ever try to put a third party i/o card in your TriCaster. You will be very unhappy. Josť means in the other PC.

David Curle
06-07-2012, 04:59 AM
I use Skype a lot in my virtual set situations
I use the Y/C output of the laptop into a Y/C Input on the Tricaster -No problems and simple-But you need a laptop with Y/C out.
I don't use iVGA as the Tricaster needs all the uplink bandwidth it can get to stream, so I cant use a router to get Skype to laptop right?
So I have a separate modem feed to laptop (separate network)

I pull my control Booth monitoring output from the jack sockets of output.
I pull the studio foldback feed from the Phones socket,
Then I SOLO the Skype audio input and DDRs so that only skype and DDRs feed the studio fold back - No talent mics on foldback.
Then I swing the Skype pan control hard left so I only receive skype on the left input. On the send back to Skype Guest I put only right output of total program.
This eliminates all feed back problems just fine without having to use a separate mixer.
I use a midi mixer to remote control my Broadcast Tricaster with Young Monkey software-This gives me a remote control surface

csandy
06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
That's a clever way to do a mix minus, David!

steveacab
06-12-2012, 09:07 AM
You need another pc too.
Connect Y/Cs or BNCs, set in the virtual-switcher the imput, open in full-screen mode skype, done.