PDA

View Full Version : Copying Virtual Input Settings To Other Virtual Inputs

dcmarc
10-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Is it possible to set up a Virtual Input, then copy those settings to another Virtual input? For instance, I set up a PIP scene composed of iVGA, a podium shot, and a logo. I want to set up the same scene, but with a different podium shot, so I can dissolve between these two scenes, which would make it appear that just the podium shot is being dissolved. (There are other situations where I'd want multiple Virtual Inputs to have the same settings with only minor differences.) I don't want to have to reposition, size and crop each input exactly the same way on on a bunch of Virtual Inputs just to be able to match everything up. I'd want to copy the original scene in V1 to V2, then change the whatever layer needs to be different in the new Virtual Input/Scene.

SBowie
10-04-2011, 09:38 AM
The CS makes setting up VI's in tandem a lot simpler, but otherwise you can still use the import and export features of VI presets to do this.

dcmarc
10-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Is the CS the Control Surface? So without that, use the Export/Import feature? Can I export from V1 and import to V2, or just export from memory location one of V1 and import to memory location two for V1 (which is what it looks like from right clicking in the interface)? I'm streaming until 5:30 and can't experiment with it to check. If export V1 to V2, that would be great as I could then mix between the Virtual Inputs. If just between memory slots for V1, I suppose I wouldn't get the mix between Virtual Inputs I need.

SBowie
10-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Is the CS the Control Surface?Yes.

Can I export from V1 and import to V2Grr. Good question. You certainly should be able to, but I checked just now and you can't. I consider this a bug, and I'll report it toute suite.

joseburgos
10-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Yeah that works on the older version as I have used it more than a few times :stumped:

SBowie
10-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah that works on the older version as I have used it more than a few times :stumped:I'm pretty sure I'd tested it successfully before as well.

dcmarc
10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
If it is a bug, and they do intend to address it, what's the best way to find out most quickly that 1, it's being addressed, and 2, when there is a patch?

I'm hoping, and have to assume based on how great everything else is, that one not only saves the Overlay and Input settings and positions when you set up a Virtual Input, but you are also saving the particular Title/Still/DDR items you selected when you set up the Virtual Input.

So if I have three titles in the Title Store, and I set up V1 with iVGA, a podium shot and Title 1, then set up V2 with iVGA, a different podium shot and Title 2, I'd expect V1 to save itself with Title 1 and Podium 1 along with cropping, etc; and V2 to save itself with Title 2, Podium Shot 2 and alternate cropping, etc., but that isn't happening. Both Virtual Inputs are displaying whichever title is currently selected in the Title Store, so I can't mix between V1 and V2. I have to mix to some other shot, select the Title I wanted to show up in V2, then mix to V2. That doesn't feel like the intent of the Virtual Inputs.

So, is this part of the bug?

kltv
10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
So if I have three titles in the Title Store, and I set up V1 with iVGA, a podium shot and Title 1, then set up V2 with iVGA, a different podium shot and Title 2, I'd expect V1 to save itself with Title 1 and Podium 1 along with cropping, etc; and V2 to save itself with Title 2, Podium Shot 2 and alternate cropping, etc., but that isn't happening. Both Virtual Inputs are displaying whichever title is currently selected in the Title Store, so I can't mix between V1 and V2. I have to mix to some other shot, select the Title I wanted to show up in V2, then mix to V2. That doesn't feel like the intent of the Virtual Inputs.?

If you want different titles married to each input, freeze them into the frame stores. Those are independent and locked to each virtual input.

Kris

joseburgos
10-04-2011, 11:27 AM
You would need to test the export, import feature to see if it already works unless you are for sure using the latest version.
As for what you said about pulling up everything it will not unless you are in the same session you were already in. By that I mean what is saved is the designation on overlay, A and B inputs and well as size, position, crop and rotation plus wipe if chosen on the overlay. If you want the media to follow you need to make export a preset of the different media tabs as well.

SBowie
10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
If it is a bug, and they do intend to address it, what's the best way to find out most quickly that 1, it's being addressed, and 2, when there is a patch?Watch this space. I'll monitor the case and report.

So, is this part of the bug?No. VI presets save pretty much everything about the VI, but they do not keep track of what your Media Players are doing. As Kris says, that's what Frame Buffers are used for. They can be locked to a VI. However please note that only hold images/titles can be assigned to Frame Buffers can - not animations or video.

vanderwielen
10-26-2011, 09:11 AM
virtual set import and export does not work in version 3d. i have 2- 850s. both have the issue. in addition at this moment it is not possible to download version 3 from the support.newtek.com site.

SBowie
10-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Yes, thanks, both of these have been reported.

vanderwielen
10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
it would be nice and a time and cost saver for those of us who play in the newtek sandbox if we had a "known issue" forum updated by newtek.