PDA

View Full Version : Text rrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

netstile123
10-02-2011, 09:02 PM
:devil:

I am making a capital R- But the center of the r is not going away. I tried extrude, bevel from the flat poly from the start. I tried flipping them. I tried cutting it out. What can I do to get the R,..... I no I figured this out before. But forgot.

I also tried sub-patch and thought this took care of it before. But does not work????????????????????? Any one have a text Plug N. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! to newtek

Dexter2999
10-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Boolean? Drill?

evenflcw
10-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Nevermind

probiner
10-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Maybe it's me but your post is not clear about what you want.

If you want to pop the center of the R out here's a sugggestion:

select the points, delete.

Cheers

NanoGator
10-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Triple?

Traveler
10-03-2011, 01:12 PM
The problem is that the R is actually composed of two flat objects pasted on top of each other. The trouble is that the text tool doesnt work with all fonts. Choose a different font 'Arial 400' for instance and try again. (press n before applying the Text tool)

NanoGator
10-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Is this just a case of the letter being an n-gon, causing it to fill the hole? Does tripling it help?

zardoz
10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
usually you only need to cut the polygon in some places to get the hole

netstile123
10-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I was using @batang 400- I see now this was not the font to choose. The R was a mess- O was a mess- The E looks like it has wings in modeler but does not show up in layout so owe well. The entire point is I should be able to choose what ever font I deside and make that letter- without having so many errors- This is the roots to any 3d ap- along with a circle and square. This should not even be an issue with a pro- 3d ap.

I will just use 'Arial 400' in the future..................

evenflcw
10-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Sorry but "many errors" it isn't. It's one font. And for all we know it could be the one at fault, not following the norm.

Unless you're a pro user you shouldn't be using pro software. And a pro would not complain about this little problem, he would just solve it, (and perhaps bug report it). Software can't adapt itself to every new situation, but a pro user can. A solution was provided right below your post.

zardoz
10-04-2011, 07:22 AM
well I see people using other pro 3d software and I see the same problems...

IMI
10-04-2011, 07:47 AM
I was using @batang 400- I see now this was not the font to choose. The R was a mess- O was a mess- The E looks like it has wings in modeler but does not show up in layout so owe well. The entire point is I should be able to choose what ever font I deside and make that letter- without having so many errors- This is the roots to any 3d ap- along with a circle and square. This should not even be an issue with a pro- 3d ap.

I will just use 'Arial 400' in the future..................

Lots of 3D programs have troubles with fonts and text and LW is no exception. It's inevitable. The program can only understand so much on its own for how to do what you want it to.

To be honest, you need to learn how to fix these things. No 3D software can do everything right the first time. If you're having troubles with something so simple and so basic as fixing a font I'd suggest you never venture into importing Illustrator files, and rigging will be totally out of the question.

You don't have to use only Ariel 400, just learn how to deal with the tools at your disposal.
3D work can only be so automatic and 90% of the work is... well, it's work.

Serling
10-05-2011, 01:12 AM
I've uploaded several images that will (hopefully) walk you through this issue. I made a capital "R" using Batang 400 having the center of the R filled in, as you can see.

Select the poly that's filling the center of the letter and cut and paste it to a background layer.

Go to the Construct tab and select Drill and Stencil (or Slice) in the Z axis.

Delete the poly in the foregroud layer created by the Drill operation.

When I did this, I got some funky OGL error going on with the display of the letter, but if you look at the wireframe in the lower left, you'll see that extra poly-looking junk isn't there.

P.S. I just did the same operation using the Tunnel tool (under the Drill tab) and got the result you see in the 5th pic I uploaded.

Moving that stry point back to where it belongs cleaned up that error I got, so try the Tunnel tool if needed.

Serling
10-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Here is that fixed letter R after using the Tunnel tool and moving that stray point:

Traveler
10-05-2011, 01:39 AM
On another note. I wonder how many tools have communities that give you an answer as well as a walkthrough to these questions.

Serling
10-05-2011, 03:47 AM
And here's the fixed and finished "R o e" after using the Tunnel tool and rendering it in Layout.

Nice looking font, actually. :)

djwaterman
10-05-2011, 05:28 AM
I'm gonna hijack this thread because I have a text question also and don't want to clutter up things with a whole other thread.
I haven't used LW for text for many years but thought I had a reason to use it on a job, but is it true that you can't select a font and then change it to bold, condensed, italic options like in most graphic packages? Because I can't seem to find anyway to do this, I just get the one option, the regular text. If it's true it's pretty limiting for motion graphics work. can someone prove me wrong?

evenflcw
10-05-2011, 05:32 AM
It's true. When you commit the text it becomes just points and polygons that happen to be shaped like letters. There's no way to go back and edit it with any text tool after that. It's the same as with primitives/geometric shapes. It is a big limitation, and something COREs modifier stack provided a solution for. Here's hoping they implement it LW soon.

djwaterman
10-05-2011, 05:12 PM
But even before you commit, when you are selecting the font and kerning, I would've thought there should be an option to choose Bold, regular, condensed and so on. Pity.

I wonder if C4d has the same limitation, in any case I think it needs fixing, it's too big a limitation if you're trying to match fonts.

wrench
10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
But it has to be said that if you are trying to match a typographer's work, or anyone that works with print at a high level, they'll only ever be using the fonts they have too. They wouldn't be caught dead using the fake bold and italic things that Word can give you.

B

Andy Meyer
10-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I wonder if C4d has the same limitation, in any case I think it needs fixing, it's too big a limitation if you're trying to match fonts.

in c4d you can have the text extruded, bended, rounded, arrayed, booleaned... and it is still editable. have a look what a serious 3d app can do with text: http://vimeo.com/29311652.

djwaterman
10-09-2011, 06:33 PM
They wouldn't be caught dead using the fake bold and italic things that Word can give you.

B

Well a lot of fonts come with there own different bold and condensed setting don't they? If anyone was serious about typography at a high level, they probably wouldn't choose LW as their tool of choice with this kind of limitation. I think it is a big fundamental issue that needs fixing.
AELink and AEEXPORT 3D solve the export / import of scene data into and out of After Effects at the click of a button, so that puts us closer to C4D, but the type matching thing would be something else Newtek could promote.

It might not be a gee-wiz cool feature, but some extra development into text editing tools could well help re-establish or re-position the brand.

I don't know if C4D has what I'm talking about, but as we just heard, it does a lot of other things and still remains editable.

I really feel the key to LW's future lies in it working well with other products so that it can slot into any pipeline as well as be a stand-alone app.

Lightwolf
10-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Well a lot of fonts come with there own different bold and condensed setting don't they?
Those are a different font file though - and those in turn show up as a different single font in LW.
What it doesn't do is group them into font families.

Cheers,
Mike

stevmjon
10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm gonna hijack this thread because I have a text question also and don't want to clutter up things with a whole other thread.
I haven't used LW for text for many years but thought I had a reason to use it on a job, but is it true that you can't select a font and then change it to bold, condensed, italic options like in most graphic packages? Because I can't seem to find anyway to do this, I just get the one option, the regular text. If it's true it's pretty limiting for motion graphics work. can someone prove me wrong?

i use LightWave v9.2 for text. this has italic, bold etc still there.

stevmjon

Serling
10-09-2011, 10:46 PM
I think the OP has given up on this thread.

Serling
10-09-2011, 10:50 PM
BTW...I would never have known how to do a fraction of what I know in LightWave were it not for the tutorials of one William "Proton" Vaughn, whose tutorials I first started viewing almost 4 years ago.

That's how I learned the Drill tool and what it can do. :)

djwaterman
10-10-2011, 06:53 AM
i use LightWave v9.2 for text. this has italic, bold etc still there.

stevmjon

That's interesting, because in my memory I thought I used to be able to do this, and then when I found that I couldn't, I thought I was just imagining it.

It's always a little perplexing when the later version of an app doesn't do things an older version did.

Those are a different font file though - and those in turn show up as a different single font in LW.
What it doesn't do is group them into font families.

Cheers,
Mike

And that's good to know, I won't go on anymore about this any more, but I still think it needs attention in future versions.

Yes William (Proton) is insanely helpful to the lw user-base community.

wrench
10-10-2011, 07:01 AM
The text manipulation tool is in great need of an overhaul, as is much of Modeler, but it does work as it stands, so I imagine that it won't get much attention until LightWave has the ability to non-destructively edit. As it stands, if you need that level of flexibility you are probably better off creating text in an application that is more geared toward typographical layout and then bring it into Modeler as an EPS that can be manipulated. For most things, Modeler's immediacy is great, but where you need precision, use a tool more suited to the job, then use Modeler to complete it.

B

xxiii
10-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Lots of 3D programs have troubles with fonts and text and LW is no exception. It's inevitable. The program can only understand so much on its own for how to do what you want it to.

I take issue with tha latter part of that statement, particularly the "its inevitable". If an opentype/truetype/postscript font engine can properly render the font into a 2D form, then a 3D program should have no trouble doing the same and then extruding it into a 3rd dimension. If its not, then there is either a bug, or an incomplete implementation (a different form of bug) of its font renderer that is not understanding or properly applying some nuance in that particular font file (hints or kerning perhaps).

I suspect these "lots of 3D programs" have rudimentary or out-of-date font renderers that probably haven't received much attention since they were first provided, and the issue(s) stem from trying to feed a version 4 font into a renderer that only understands up through version 2 of the font format, but I'm guessing. Font-to-polygon is probably not a high priority feature for most 3D programs so they get it to a point of "it seems to work" and they move on.

There is a possibility that the font file is malformed in some way that doesn't happen to show up in a particular implementation of a font-renderer, but if thats the case, that particular font should be having the same or very similar problems in lots of other programs (2D and 3D, that don't use that renderer implementation) as well.

To be honest, you need to learn how to fix these things.

This is true.

No 3D software can do everything right the first time.

This is not, but has become the accepted state of affairs in the software industry (not just 3D), unless you're a nuclear reactor or an aircraft, or most medical devices. And to be fair to the targeted price points and means of most software companies, engineering software "right" is very expensive and time consuming. So they opt for sucessive approximation instead, which is usually fine as long as they don't abandon any components that are in need of further refinement (or have a different definition of "works right" than their users do).

speismonqui
10-23-2011, 09:33 PM
in c4d you can have the text extruded, bended, rounded, arrayed, booleaned... and it is still editable. have a look what a serious 3d app can do with text: http://vimeo.com/29311652.

that reminds me of a video of Jarrod Davies where he types some text, extrude, bevel, twist and the text remains editable... AAARRGGGHHH!!! I can't remember what he wrote in that example...
:grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

netstile123
10-24-2011, 02:27 PM
hi there- just had to stop back in on this thread and give a special thanks to all the reply's. Thanks everyone:thumbsup: