PDA

View Full Version : Render freeze

Amerelium
10-02-2011, 06:27 PM
So I'm doing this 360 degree spin of a ship, I've rendered it many times before, mostly with monte carlo radiocity, not interpolated.

Now I've figured out some good interpolated settings, tested several frames mid-spin, but when I start from the beginning the render proccess just freezes up when radiocity calculating is at about 5% done - status text says 'computing preliminary radiosity solution...'

Anyone got any idea what's happening?

LW 10 64 bit, Win7 (64 bit)

Amerelium
10-02-2011, 06:41 PM
...strange, seemes to be and issue with the amount of secondary bounce rays, and the first few frames of the animation. If I either decrease OR increase the amount, it doesn't lock up.

netstile123
10-02-2011, 06:48 PM
I tell YA I had a big time texture map last week (21 K ) with just the light ( a distant light) I was up to 6 gigs of system mem. I would freeze up with both modeler and layout open so I just used layout to open my model and kept modeler closed. Now you are having trouble with rederosity. I have also learned the amount of lights in a scene My mem. used increased as well. Try CTRL> ALT> DELETE> and watch your system and see how it is running the aplications and see what you can do to improve your systems function. Also do not start your VPR. It also takes up mem. Have a fresh start/ open layout and your model in line single display. , Watch your task manager. And check your video display drivers.

Amerelium
10-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Nah, system resources aren't an issue - got 1.5 gb of physical memory to spare, when render is running. And as I said, it stopped locking up when I INCREASED the amount of secondary bounce rays...

Hieron
10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Could be a nice one to bugreport. Especially if you can reproduce it on a stripped scene and send that along..

Danner
10-03-2011, 07:34 AM
I've found that the minimum pixel spacing has a threshold where things can go into stratospheric render times, lets say you have 7 pixel spacing, render time around 2 minutes, you change it to 4 pixel spancing it goes to 36 minutes. (this just happened to me today). Very scene dependant.