PDA

View Full Version : Mackie Firewire Audio to Tricaster

GeekNews
10-01-2011, 07:31 PM
I have this fantastic Mackie Onyx 1620I and it has both a Firewire and a Analog out. I have been feeding the 850 with the Analog out. But the more I get to thinking about this I wonder if anyone is feeding the 850 with a firewire input?

It seems to me that feeding the tricaster with a digital input would be a lot more efficient than an analog one and the audio quality would be a lot higher.

I am sure there must be some sync issue that prevents this but would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

PIZAZZ
10-02-2011, 08:21 AM
I feed our flypack in the trailer with AES/EBU digital audio or embedded SDI audio. There would be no way to bring in FireWire audio but you you could bring in SPDIF with an adapter to AES.

Can't remember if that Mackie has SPDIF out. I prefer the feature set of the Presonus 16.0.2 or 16.4.2 digital consoles for the lower end of digital mixers. Lots of good audio ins and outs with full digital effects onboard.

On my higher cost LS9 yamaha console I can use different in/out cards to fit different setups and needs. There is even a SDI embedded card. Only costs $3800, over half the cost of the mixer itself.

GeekNews
10-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Ok I am gonna ask a stupid question.

How does the audio levels compare between standard XLR and AES/EBU digital audio

Second in the studio I do not use the cameras to feed the audio I have wireless and professional mics that feed a mixer and just send the XLR out to the tricaster...

Would love to know more about your two configurations..

Thanks
Todd..

PIZAZZ
10-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Same process here, all audio goes into the outboard audio console and then goes into the TriCaster via the AES input on Input 1. Every once in a while I use the embedded audio off the camera input when it is convenient. For instance in football with a sideline reporter. Their mic is plugged into the camera mic input which then sends out embedded audio. I also use the embedded audio when taking sideline cameras for audience or sideline cutaways.

Not sure what you mean about how the levels compare. All audio is correctly leveled out at Unity. Doesn't matter if it is digital or analog. Digital seems to sound better and it is much easier to transport over fiber for longer runs.