PDA

View Full Version : game art - moving water

Simon-S
09-30-2011, 05:05 AM
Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone knows of any tutorials on creating moving water for games?

I need to create a waterfall and I'm fine with the main body of the falling water (animated UV on a static mesh), but I'm wondering how best to create the splash/foam at the bottom?

...and I need to keep poly counts to a minimum and animation needs to be created using animated UV's or geometry trans/scale/rot (no bones, morphs or dynamics).

Any tips/ideas welcome.

Cheers

Simon-S
09-30-2011, 05:11 AM
Also if anyone knows how to create a 'water splash' using similar techniques I be keen to hear about it. ;)

Cheers.

BlueApple
09-30-2011, 05:55 AM
I recommend mapping a pre-rendered splash movie (.avi, image sequence, etc.) to a plane that is facing the camera.

Buy stock footage for the splash, go out and film it yourself, or you can try a combination of Blender fluids with LW render.

Good luck.

Simon-S
09-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Nice idea :)

Unfortunately this is for a game on IOS so image sequences are out...just textures and animated UV's.

GraphXs
10-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Particles could work for the splash fx, or an animated sprite. LW10 has the sprite gen, that could make a sequence for you that gets mapped in a atlas.

kopperdrake
10-02-2011, 08:14 AM
I'd make a cylinder, tapered outwards at the top, for the splash rings. UV map a splash texture to this, then resize it from the centre of the splash, growing out from the centre, and then shrinking in the Y as it still grows out. A few of those together with a slight time offset should look a bit like the 'crown' shape you get with splashes. And as others have said, a few particles following a similar path to the crown will soften the geometry-based crown and add some 'randomness' to the whole thing.

warmiak
10-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah, an animated simple mesh with (that's important) at least two uv layers moving at different rates would do nicely for a waterfall.

For a vertical splash I would use a few quads - make them anchored to the water line while rotating to face the viewer on Y direction.

You could use a few images of different splash effects overlayed on top of each other and moving at different rates, directions etc ...

You can get away with a texture atlas with very small image sequences.

I experimented with something like that for a fiery explosion effect and two 64 or 128 x 128 textures was enough to get a reasonable effect ( won't win any awards but will do for a iOS-based game.)

Here is a link to textures I used:
http://www.warmi.net/tmp/fireball.png
http://www.warmi.net/tmp/particles.png

And here is my "explosion" :-)

http://www.warmi.net/tmp/particles.mov

Simon-S
10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the comments and advise guys.

I think I am getting somewhere close by using a few different water images layered up and using different UV anims. Noisy channel on the waterfall turbulence has helped too.

My water animation really does have to be done on the cheap and you'll never get that close to it, so I think I can get away with a fair bit of clunkiness.

I havent textured the water surface yet but you can see this kinda does the job now. ;)

Thanks again.

kopperdrake
10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Spot on with the crown effect :thumbsup: