PDA

View Full Version : Magisto... er... no!

Nangleator
09-29-2011, 08:20 AM
This little toy (http://www.magisto.com/) is getting my blood boiling. Feel like being replaced by something that will produce dreck?

Key quote: "The magic is that there are no people involved in the process."

The inventors should be condemned for life to having their haircuts and wardrobe chosen by an algorithm.

hrgiger
09-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Can't imagine that will gain much foothold. I don't think any algorithm out there today is going to really make that interesting of a video. AI has a long way to go for that to happen. At first glance, to me like its just looking for static pieces of the video that don't change much from frame to frame (background) and cutting those clips out and keeping the ones where an object is moving against the static background (i.e. guy snowboarding). You can't really tell much of a story with that kind of broad parameter.

It made me laugh when they showed a video editing program to be a thing of nightmares. And that's exactly who this kind of thing is aimed at, people who have not the first clue about editing video. This won't be a professional tool.

Nangleator
09-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah, but you can see that people are working on it. Eventually, the penny pinchers are going to think to themselves, "Hey, I can just replace these employees with this program that even I can run!"

Publishers did away with copy editors because of spell check. Are books perfect now? Far from it. "Doesn't matter. Saved money."

Amurrell
09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Machines don't have emotions, so I see quite a few limitations to this approach. But hey, if someone wants to put their videos into the mechanical grinder and see what comes out, let 'em. I'm sure that there will be some disappointed individuals regarding some things, saying "Hey, where's that shot I took?", or "the transition is too quick.", or plainly "this sucks!" I could be wrong, but I really don't think this is going to fully replace the human element. They may try to, but I don't think it will work that well.

Nangleator
09-29-2011, 10:38 AM
I think it might work out for people that refuse to learn a video editor, have an iPhone or a flip camera. As the introduction video says, if your clips are otherwise going to waste, why not?

I didn't dig into it, but the front page suggests it might be a sort of Youtube or Vimeo-type community, rather than an application you buy.

BigHache
09-29-2011, 12:41 PM
It's all done online. And in the TOS, they lay claim to do anything they want with your footage except sell it. I think it will fall away and die eventually. And yes, it's aimed at social media types.

EmperorPete
10-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Soulless video editing? COUNT ME IN!!! :/
It'd be great for hipsters, pensioners, or people on the move who don't have the time or inclination to even bother learning Windows Movie Maker, I suppose. Personally I'd rather go to the effort of actually producing videos of my "special moments" myself, so I know it's been put together the way I would want it to be. I find editing to be a very individual thing, and I'd much rather it stayed that way.

probiner
10-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Machines don't have emotions
Exaclty, that's why conceptual artists exploit the emotions we can pull off from unemotional processes of creation :D

I think this type of editing will create many empty moments, doubtful purpose segments, so yeah it's not going to be pretty, but I think I'll try to upload myself a video to see what it does... Sounds like a cool toy.

Anyway the intruduction video is... :lol: and they want us "to upload our special moments"... I got some sex tapes here... let's see what he throws me back :bday:

EDIT:
It might have a purpose if you want make an effect like an interactive random video gallery, textured into some dynamic object. You might not really care about montage then, just volume.

http://urgensia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Screen-shot-2010-09-07-at-11.59.06-AM.jpg

xxiii
10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
The programming industry went through this a couple decades ago. There was talk about how we weren't going to need programmers anymore because everything would become a combination of wizards and drag'n'drop components that would make programming so easy anyone could do it.

It ended up working for a few simple niche cases (report generators for instance), which usually still ended up requiring a programmer, because it wasn't just about knowing a language, its about knowing what to put where, and when, and why.

A bit like asking your word processor with its spelling dictionary and grammar checkers and thesaurus to write your novel for you because they added a new feature where it can create and string together grammatically correct sentences after you give it an outline (which still involves a "people").

Elmar Moelzer
10-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Has anyone actually had a look at the examples on that website?
It is god awful editing, if you aske me. It basically looks like random cuts and some music added (to which I doubt they even have the rights).

K-Dawg
10-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Why you people upset? This has happened to the Web Deveolpers/Web Designers already and no one cares about it there.

It's about time the video Industry gets full automated competition, maybe then some people will understand what difference a Professional makes instead of automated "Do-it-Yourself" stuff.

Greetz