PDA

View Full Version : Hexagons with LWCad

Philbert
09-29-2011, 12:43 AM
I need to cut a ton of hexagons through an object. LWCad's 3D primitives are great with this but I can't figure out how to get a hexagon shape. If I use the cylinder and increase the max freeze error the best I can get is an octogon. Ideas?

biliousfrog
09-29-2011, 01:08 AM
use the cylinder tool in Lightwave then convert to curves in LWCAD

Philbert
09-29-2011, 01:15 AM
But a curve can't be used to cut thrugh geometry, only a 3D primitive. As far as I know anyway.

IMI
09-29-2011, 02:45 AM
I'm sure you have your reasons, but I'm curious, why not just use a regular LW disk to make the hexagon, and Drill to punch the holes?
Drill with Tunnel or Stencil has always worked for me. It's quick too and far better than boolean.

Philbert
09-29-2011, 02:50 AM
The normal tools in LW are fine but I have like a hundred holes to cut and I think LWCad does a better job with such a large number. I just made octogon holes and started manually converting them to hexagons. it's going pretty quick actually. I would still be good to know this for the future though.

dee
09-29-2011, 02:51 AM
Use the NGon and set edge count to 6.

IMI
09-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Okay, that's cool, I was just curious.
I've used dozens of objects at a time with Drill though. Not hundreds, I don't think, but it's always been pretty reliable.
But whatever works is good. :)

Philbert
09-29-2011, 03:01 AM
Use the NGon and set edge count to 6.

Same answer as above, 2D primitives can't be used to cut through geometry.

COBRASoft
09-29-2011, 03:27 AM
You could make your 2D primitive and extrude it using LWCad tools to make it 3D?

Philbert
09-29-2011, 05:15 AM
That's a 3D object, not a "3D primitive" from LWCad. I could make that with the regular LW tools.

Sensei
09-29-2011, 06:06 AM
I would prepare correct geometry and use just array/clone..
If it has to look like this:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2009/07/avb_honey.jpg
Then merge points and done. No boolean at all.

Sensei
09-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Hexagon you can make using Create > Ball. You just have to set right number of Segments.
http://www.zefdamen.nl/CropCircles/Constructions/hexagon/hexagon12.gif

hrgiger
09-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Phil you can use the pattern 3D tool to cut a hexagon shape in your model. There's already one in the bricks presets. You may have to drag it out in a side viewport for the first cut so that the volume is correct. But after that you can right click to drop the tool and fire again with a left click. Rinse and repeat. Bam.

Titus
09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
I remember there was a lscript called cookie cutter, you use an image map to cut geometry.

http://pweb.netcom.com/~ghartens/cookie.html

EDIT: forget it, the script creates geometry based on an image.

Amurrell
09-29-2011, 11:00 AM
LWcad I believe uses the curve profile as the cutter, does it not?

Philbert
09-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Phil you can use the pattern 3D tool to cut a hexagon shape in your model. There's already one in the bricks presets. You may have to drag it out in a side viewport for the first cut so that the volume is correct. But after that you can right click to drop the tool and fire again with a left click. Rinse and repeat. Bam.

Thanks, I'm long past this part of the project now, but I'll have to remember that I think it will be needed in the future.

hrgiger
09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
LWcad I believe uses the curve profile as the cutter, does it not?

To actually cut through geometry, you need to use one of the 3D tools like the 3D primitives. However, in the case of the hexagon that Philbert was looking for, that isn't possible in the current lineup of primitives in LWCAD. However, there is a pattern 3D tool which allows you to use a shape from the preset library. And there is already a hexagon shape in the bricks presets. Of course, the benefit of preset libraries is you can create whatever shape you want and save it for later use.

Reco
10-01-2011, 01:54 AM
To actually cut through geometry, you need to use one of the 3D tools like the 3D primitives. However, in the case of the hexagon that Philbert was looking for, that isn't possible in the current lineup of primitives in LWCAD. use.

Just for info. You can cut a hexagon in LW Cad by using the pyramid primitiv and choose 6 edge counts.

Reco

Philbert
10-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Thanks ill have to try it if I ever finish rendering this 3400 frame scene.

hrgiger
10-01-2011, 04:37 AM
Just for info. You can cut a hexagon in LW Cad by using the pyramid primitiv and choose 6 edge counts.

Reco

Yes and no. Using the pyramid primtive will create an angled cut if your object has any thickness at all(meaning a wider hole at the bottom of your object and a narrower hole at the top). Yes, if you are cutting through a 2D plane with no volume, works fine. But otherwise, probably not what you want.

Philbert
10-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Ohh, that makes sense.