PDA

View Full Version : Cel Shader Material and Image Maps

LW_Will
09-28-2011, 07:00 AM
I've got a cel shader rig that terminates in a material node, which is great, except I want to add a bit map to the listing.

Now, I want to separate the inputs to the Make Material node and place them into the Surface Node, if that is possible, and add the map into color or some such.

Is this possible?

Lightwolf
09-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Can you show screenshot of your current nodal set-up?

I suspect the Material Blender from our free tools might help there, but I'm not sure based on your description.

Cheers,
Mike

LW_Will
09-29-2011, 04:06 AM
Can you show screenshot of your current nodal set-up?

I suspect the Material Blender from our free tools might help there, but I'm not sure based on your description.

Ah... here you go...

I want to get a partial transparent effect with the color UV map. An "add" to the color and the cel structure. Think I'll check the Material Blender node tool.

Thanks!

Lightwolf
09-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi Will,

Sorry for the late reply, but this still required a bit of pondering (mainly to understand what you're trying to achieve).

I've got a cel shader rig that terminates in a material node, which is great, except I want to add a bit map to the listing.

Now, I want to separate the inputs to the Make Material node and place them into the Surface Node, if that is possible, and add the map into color or some such.

I want to get a partial transparent effect with the color UV map. An "add" to the color and the cel structure. Think I'll check the Material Blender node tool.
Your make material really isn't needed in this case, you can just plug the color output from the mixer into diffuse shading (this is what the make material diffuse input drives eventually anyhow).

The main question is: How should the bitmap be shaded? If you just want to add it, then plug the yellow gradient into the image map node background and play with the blend setting, pipe the output colour into your mixer (I suspect you use that to add a black outline).

Cheers,
Mike

LW_Will
09-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Yes. That seems to make it work... sort of. ;-) Still needs tweaking.

For the record, I do understand texturing and nodes, but its the interaction that will sometimes flumix me.

Thanks for all your help,

Lightwolf
09-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Yes. That seems to make it work... sort of. ;-) Still needs tweaking.
Well, feel free to post the next iteration to refine it.

Sometimes it's just hard to tell from the outside which result is desired.

Thanks for all your help,
You're welcome.

Cheers,
Mike