PDA

View Full Version : Modeler won't zoom in closer than 1m grid

hdace
09-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi folks,

What's up with this? I've got an object that on its own has no problem zooming all the way to 20 um, as usual.

But when it's attached to a giant object, that's 22km long, 11km from the origin, I can't zoom in closer than 1 m per grid square. Tried 9.6 & 10.1 on my Mac. Any advice?

Thanks, Hal

hdace
09-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Actually I've just noticed that at the origin I can zoom in all the way to 0.1 um, but the farther away from the origin, the less zoom I get. Is there a setting for fixing this.

I suppose I can move the part of the model I need to work on to the origin temporarily. Bloody annoying...

hrgiger
09-27-2011, 10:44 PM
No, this is the nature of how it works(I've also tested it in Modo too-same deal). The further away from the origin you get, the less you can zoom in.

You can do a few different things. One of which you've already discovered and that's to move the part you're working on closer to the origin. If it's all in one layer, it's no big deal to move your model around to do this but if you have to select multiple layers to make sure everything stays in place to one another, it gets annoying. And if you have more then 10 layers, you have to use the layers panel to do selections of all your layers. And of course if your object is pretty high polygon, modeler can get quite sluggish to constantly move things around.

The other thing you can do is to scale down your object so that all parts are closer to the origin and then rescale it back up when you're done modeling.

xxiii
09-27-2011, 10:51 PM
This might be a floating-point precision issue. The farther you get from 0 (as exemplified by the origin in this case) the less precision is available.

Lightwave currently uses single precision floating point for vertexes (I'm fairly sure), which unfortunately doesn't have very much precision (but uses half the memory which can add up when you have complex and/or many objects). Also, 1 always means 1 meter (if you change your units to inches for instance, and put 1, lightwave will store 2.54 internally).

You are in modeler? when you say its "attached" to another object, how do you mean? It might be best to model it on its own layer at the origin, and "move" it in layout to its proper location, but I'm not sure what layout does in regards to the precision issue.

Hopefully, layout does the most precise and optimal thing internally when its dealing with translations of objects around worldspace and rendering.

hdace
09-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Cheers guys.

zardoz
09-28-2011, 07:51 AM
actually this happens in every 3d software.