PDA

View Full Version : Studio audio buzzing sound

JzW
09-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Newbie here...

Can anyone help?

Tricaster Studio
Yamaha EMX512SC mixer

Using the RCA "rec out" jacks on the Yamaha, to the L & R 1/4" inputs on the Studio, we're having a problem with:

1. low buzz sound in the recording:
sample: http://www.mediafire.com/?hdpi2o4vnn499

2. low recorded audio levels

We tried a RadioShack ground loop filter - no change.

Dexter2999
09-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Sometimes gear is just noisy. We used to have some Yamaha effects units added a buzz. Could also be from your power.

Hopper
09-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Sounds like a regular 60Hz hum to me. If your power is bad, get a filtered power supply (e.g Furman) and use that instead of directly to the AC outlet.

Could also be a ground issue (try another circuit for your power source), crappy cables (use XLR when you can), or EMI somewhere near the unit. Make sure all your gain pots are down on the mixer (also your effects return should be at 0 as well as the SPX processor - even if it is off). Any Yamaha mixer I have used (quite a few) has always been noisy. Even most cheap Bheringer's are quieter.

JzW
10-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Thank you everyone for all your help.
So here's what I did:

I disconnected everything connected to the Studio, so it's only:
keyboard, mouse, monitor & tricaster (the only 2 powered items: monitor & tricaster)

1. I got a line conditioner (tripp-lite) LC1800.
2. Connected the Studio and monitor to it, as those are the only
powered items I have connected.
3. Turned the audio all the way up (in the visual I see noise), and
recorded... I have the same problem: the 60Hz hum.

Tried connecting to two different outlets on the other side of the building, with the Line Conditioner - still same 60Hz hum.

I think the hum is coming from an internal component on the Studio.
Is that possible? And if so, what can I do? It is ruining all the recordings.

I even went into the "Admin" piece (Windows OS) of the Studio and recorded from the built in "Windows sound recorder" - NO HUM (not that that is very definitive).

Please HELP!

Dexter2999
10-01-2011, 01:39 PM
If you have isolated the hum to being external of your TriCaster, I would suggest running the input signal through a Direct Box with a Ground lift option or a dedicated product. If you are going with with a Direct Box (or DI as they are commonly called) I would suggest either Countrymen or Whirlwind brands.

http://tinyurl.com/3c2d9kc
or something like this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813344-REG/Sescom_IL_19_PRS_GLS_Inline_Prp_Audio_Hum.html

Good Luck

JzW
10-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I apologize, maybe with all the info. I gave maybe I wasn't clear.

The 60Hz hum seems to be coming from an internal component on the Studio (is that possible) and what do I do?

I had nothing connected to the unit and the hum was still in the recording.

Dexter2999
10-01-2011, 03:30 PM
If the noise is internal to your TriCaster, make sure your mode is appropriate for the intended use (Mic or Line level inputs.) Mic level on a line input will have to be turned up to a level where noise will be introduced. Line level on a mic input will overdrive the input and produce clipping and distortion.

If all settings are correct and the end result is still undesirable, contact your service representative.

vanderwielen
10-01-2011, 07:28 PM
This is a ground loop problem. are the devices plugged into the same receptacle?

JzW
10-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks again - great information!

Dexter..., the input to the Studio from the Yamaha is Speech from a Mic (reference sample linke in first post), but because the levels are so low on that input, we've turned up the Master dial (not all the way) and the volume sliders all the way up just to get a weak volume level recording.

Maybe I've been looking at this wrong all along, but need to increase the volume before it gets to the Studio. Any recommendations on boosting the audio input BEFORE it gets to the Studio? The Yamaha volume is low to discourage feedback as it powers 2 speakers.

Should I also continue to figure out why the hum in the Studio.

Vander..., about the ground loop, the only 2 things plugged in, to a EMI/RFI surge protector which is connected to the wall outlet, when getting the hum for the regording is the Studio and the monitor. In my tests, before I start the recording, I even unplug the monitor (that's right I have no screen ), start the recording, wait about 30 seconds, stop the recording, and plug the monitor back in (to see what I'm doing) and confirm the hum is still there.

Any suggestions?

Again everyone thank you so very much for all your time and help!

Lee-AVP
10-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Are the mixer and the tricaster on the same circuit? Use an extension cord to temporarily put them on the same outlet strip, and see what that does.

If it fixes it, you can either restructure your gear so its all on the same power, or you can add a transformer isolation on the audio line.

Most DI boxes aren't going to give you a ground isolation on XLR.

Hopper
10-02-2011, 02:44 PM
What kind of microphone are you using? It almost sounds like you're not setting up your input correctly, so you have to overdrive it at the mixer just to hear it. At that point, it's not a ground or line bleed, it's your source input. You're cranking up an inadequate signal just to hear it, thus bringing along all the low level line noise. Does the mic require phantom power? Is it a dynamic mic? condenser? ribbon? Are you using the preamp on the mixer, before, or none?

JzW
11-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey Everyone! Thanks for all the great information.
The solution: We installed a M-Audio Audio Buddy dual-channel preamp between the Yamaha mixer and the Tricaster Studio. Apparently the audio output from the Yamaha was weak. With the M-Audio we are able to boost that sound without turning up the TC Studio's master which was bringing in the 60Hz hum. (Now we just need a compressor/limiter...) Thanks again to everyone for all your help!

HBarnes
11-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Note that the record out on your mixer has a nominal output level of -10dBu.

The nominal output level of the main, monitor, and effects outputs of your mixer are +4dBu. Using one of these outputs should allow you to negate the need for the M-Audio preamp.

Hopper
11-03-2011, 11:41 PM
(Now we just need a compressor/limiter...) Thanks again to everyone for all your help!

If you can still find one, I highly recommend the TC Electronic dual gate compressor/limiter (http://www.tcelectronic.com/C400XL.asp). They are now discontinued, but are simply one of the best bang-for-the-buck units. I'm running 3 in a rack and have never had an issue yet. It even does a pretty fine job de-essing, etc..

Glad you got your problem solved.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/46453-tc-electronic-c400xl-large.jpg