PDA

View Full Version : OT: My new sci-fi novel Scavengers has just been published on Amazon.

inkpen3d
09-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I know this is totally off topic, but I thought I'd let you all know that I've just published my new sci-fi novel Scavengers in Kindle format on Amazon. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scavengers-ebook/dp/B005O0ZB9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316514191&sr=8-1, where you can read the "blurb", download sample chapters, and if you like them, buy the whole book - it's dirt cheap.

BTW, a lot of people don't realise that you don't need to own a Kindle in order to read books in the Kindle format - if you click on the "Send Sample Now" button on the RHS of the Amazon page for the book, you are presented with the option of downloading and installing the Kindle for PC application (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000423913). Also, as an added bonus, there are masses of free books available in Kindle format on Amazon.

Enjoy.

Regards,
Peter

Silkrooster
09-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Congrats, I hope you do well.

Shabazzy
09-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for giving us the heads up on your book. I didn't realise you didn't need a Kindle to read Kindle books. But thanks to you, I've just installed Kindle for PC and bought your book as my very first Kindle purchase.

Looking forward to reading it.

Thanks again.

Shabazzy

inkpen3d
09-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for giving us the heads up on your book. I didn't realise you didn't need a Kindle to read Kindle books. But thanks to you, I've just installed Kindle for PC and bought your book as my very first Kindle purchase.

Looking forward to reading it.

Thanks again.

Shabazzy

Many thanks for doing that - much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy the book - any feedback on it most welcome. :)

Regards,
Peter

LW_Will
09-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Congrats!

cresshead
09-25-2011, 04:23 AM
got the sample on my kindle now..will read it on the way to work tomorrow morning on the bus!

and yup kindle is available for pc, mac, iphone, ipad, android phones and andriod tablets...i use the kindle at home to 'read to me' and then continue with my phone on the bus.

any insights you'd like to share on the writing and kindle publishing process would be great to hear also as i'm creating some children's books.

inkpen3d
09-25-2011, 12:03 PM
got the sample on my kindle now..will read it on the way to work tomorrow morning on the bus!

and yup kindle is available for pc, mac, iphone, ipad, android phones and andriod tablets...i use the kindle at home to 'read to me' and then continue with my phone on the bus.

any insights you'd like to share on the writing and kindle publishing process would be great to hear also as i'm creating some children's books.

Hope you enjoy the sample chapters.

Regarding writing - one thing I'd definitely recommend is getting some friends to read over your draft manuscripts as they'll see mistakes in both the English and the plot-line that. as the author, you're blind too.

As far as publishing on the Kindle - it's fairly straight forward - first get an Amazon account (or use the log-in details of your existing account) and use this Amazon account to register on http://kdp.amazon.com/ - you'll then get your own "Bookshelf" where you can upload your ebooks and prepare them for sale. Just follow the comprehensive set of on=line instructions Amazon provide about how to prepare your book for publishing.

The simplest way to upload the book is to export it from Word as an HTML file and then, from within your Bookshelf, add a new book (filling in all the details about the book), then point the upload requestor to the set of HTML files you exported from Word.

For larger books you can prepare the document files (like adding a table of contents for the chapters) using an application that generates files in the formats Amazon accepts. Amazon recommend Mobi Pocket Creator for generating the ebook. However, I found that Mobi Pocket Creator didn't generate the table of contents for the chapters in my book correctly, and I ended up using Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/), which not only is an excellent ebook reader, but also has really good facilities for generating ebook files. Calibre generated the TOC without any problems. It also allows you to export in a range of ebook formats including epub.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more information

Regards,
Peter

inkpen3d
09-27-2011, 03:16 AM
Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.:)

All the best,
Peter

Shabazzy
09-27-2011, 04:22 AM
Well although I haven't really settled down and started to demolish the book, I have read the prologue and can say as an opening it's pretty darned good.

I really like the way you've painted a very clear picture of the setting and surroundings, and I like the way you've built up and paced the action to such a point where I actually started to feel anxious for poor old Alex.

If the prologue is anything to go by, this book is gonna be a real page turner.

So far a big thumbs up.

Shabazzy

pauland
09-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Good job! (though the first paragraph made me laugh, completely unintentionally).

What tools did you use for publication to the kindle format?

robpowers3d
09-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Congrats on your book!

inkpen3d
09-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Good job! (though the first paragraph made me laugh, completely unintentionally).

What tools did you use for publication to the kindle format?

Now you've got me wondering (in a kind of paranoid sort of way) what on earth it was that made you laugh - did I write something unintentionally lewd or what? :D

Regarding tools: The book was written in Microsoft Word, exported as an HTML file, and then imported into Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) where I set up the front cover image and the TOC for the chapters. I then exported the book in MOBI format, which I then uploaded to the Amazon Kindle store (see also post 7 above).

Cheers,
Peter

inkpen3d
09-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Congrats on your book!

Thanks Rob!:thumbsup:

If you do get around to reading it - any feedback would be most welcome. :)

All the best,
Peter

LW_Will
09-28-2011, 05:40 AM
Well... apparently, the UK Amazon thinks that we in the US aren't good enough to read your book.

;-)

Sounds interesting. Too bad I can't read it.

pauland
09-28-2011, 06:16 AM
Now you've got me wondering (in a kind of paranoid sort of way) what on earth it was that made you laugh - did I write something unintentionally lewd or what? :D

LOL, nothing serious, just the literal way I read the text:

"He pushed his glasses back up his nose".

I know what you meant, but I first took it literally. Ouch, that would hurt!

inkpen3d
09-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Well... apparently, the UK Amazon thinks that we in the US aren't good enough to read your book.

;-)

Sounds interesting. Too bad I can't read it.

LOL - I get the same thing if I go onto the USA Amazon page - tells me to go to UK Amazon!

As Oliver correctly says: In which case you should have no problems with the USA Amazon page - here's the link http://www.amazon.com/Scavengers-ebook/dp/B005O0ZB9Q/ref=sr_1_10?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1317225574&sr=1-10.

If you have any problems let me know and I'll try and get them sorted out for you.

All the best,
Peter

inkpen3d
09-28-2011, 10:15 AM
LOL, nothing serious, just the literal way I read the text:

"He pushed his glasses back up his nose".

I know what you meant, but I first took it literally. Ouch, that would hurt!

And now I just can't get that image out of my mind! :D

inkpen3d
09-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Was the same for me, but if you search for the author or title, you can probably find it in the amazon US store. I even found it in Germany (had the same problem with not being able to download from the UK site) - sample is now on my kindle, but I have 2 other books which are close to finished. So it has to wait a little. Looking forward to it. :)

Thanks Peter, and congrats on publishing your own book! :thumbsup:

I hope you enjoy it Oliver, and thanks for your kind words.

Cheers,
Peter

inkpen3d
10-05-2011, 08:46 AM
I hate it when one person has a string of consecutive posts, however, ...

I thought I'd just take this opportunity to express my appreciation for all your kind words and support - it really has meant a lot to me! :)

I would, of course, also like to thank those of you who purchased the book from Amazon - if you ever manage to get to the end of the novel without gnawing off your right arm or being carried off by men in white coats, then I would be eternally in your debt if you could give the book a brief review on Amazon. :D

Cheers,
Peter

Shabazzy
10-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I would, of course, also like to thank those of you who purchased the book from Amazon - if you ever manage to get to the end of the novel without gnawing off your right arm or being carried off by men in white coats, then I would be eternally in your debt if you could give the book a brief review on Amazon. :D

Consider it done (when I'm done).

inkpen3d
10-08-2011, 03:41 AM
Consider it done (when I'm done).

:thumbsup: