PDA

View Full Version : Glittery gold surface

the glitch
09-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi

I am trying to create a glittery gold surface that sparkles as it turns, and I have no idea where to start. I tried using the carpaint node, but I couldn't get anywhere with it... I'm sort of a beginner, still. :D

I'm using 9.6 on a mac, if that makes any difference. :)

Thanks

JeffrySG
09-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Can you post an image that represents the final look you're trying to achieve?

the glitch
09-24-2011, 07:37 PM
I want it to look a little like golden carpaint and a little like shimmery nail polish.
It is going to be on a little logo of a sun.
I mainly want to be sure that you can see the sparkles as the logo turns, so that would use the incidence angle, right...?

jasonwestmas
09-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Use the flakes procedural node with Car paint. I'll see if I can come up with an example.

the glitch
09-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Ok, but use the flakes node with which input on the carpaint node....
I feel like such a noob, I should know how to do this... :D

jasonwestmas
09-25-2011, 11:28 AM
These files aren't exactly what your reference picts show but I think it's in the right general direction. You'd have to see what kind of texture would best replicate the feel of these materials like the nail polish and bowling balls etc.

Plus I didn't have a square reflection map handy. The hot spots in the HDR might not be the best thing to use for the reflection. You'd probably need something that more consistently lightened up the sparkles.

jasonwestmas
09-25-2011, 12:55 PM
This is probably closer but again, the look is very dependent upon what you are reflecting in your surface.

erikals
09-25-2011, 01:18 PM
a preset...
http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/295/

the glitch
09-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Ok, so would it be a good idea to set up some luminous panels for the object to reflect?
Or would an HDR image be better?
And if it isn't too much to ask, jasonwestmas, could you tell me briefly what the nodes are telling the carpaint node to do?
But thank you so much for taking all this trouble! It helps me so much to have this good of a starting point to work with!
You guys are awesome! :)

Hopper
09-25-2011, 04:29 PM
I would call this preset "Fishing Lure".

jasonwestmas
09-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Ok, so would it be a good idea to set up some luminous panels for the object to reflect?
Or would an HDR image be better?
And if it isn't too much to ask, jasonwestmas, could you tell me briefly what the nodes are telling the carpaint node to do?
But thank you so much for taking all this trouble! It helps me so much to have this good of a starting point to work with!
You guys are awesome! :)

Yeah luminous panels/geometry would give you more control over your reflections, so you wouldn't have to search through a large set of HDRs to get exactly what you need.

Gradient (1) Just a color gradient with an incidence function so that the color changes the further the surface is from the camera.

Gradient (2) Is connected into specular channel to provide fresnel reflection. Has an incidence node plugged into it, just has a different range to it than the gradient's version of incidence.

Turbulence is a 3D procedural texture just used to provide some subtle bump to the undercoat.

jasonwestmas
09-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Something kinda strange I noticed is that when I turn flake falloff distance to 0mm I can see the flakes "light-up". Then increasing the falloff distance to as little as 1mm makes the flakes disappear. The size of the sphere is 4.5 meters and increasing the falloff more and more does nothing so I'm not sure what the deal is.

probiner
09-26-2011, 03:07 AM
Matt saves the day?
http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/333/

jasonwestmas
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Matt saves the day?
http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/333/

Pretty much, look really good.

jasonwestmas
09-26-2011, 05:17 PM
As a side note, you still need the right kind of refection image to make the sparkle look good. This isn't exactly sparkly car paint in a can here.

the glitch
09-27-2011, 11:12 AM
As a side note, you still need the right kind of refection image to make the sparkle look good. This isn't exactly sparkly car paint in a can here.

Yeah I know, but it's a really good starting point. I think I can get it from here on out. Thanks everyone for all the help! :)