PDA

View Full Version : Cloth FX bug and Sewing?

mummyman
09-24-2011, 02:51 PM
I made a scene, attached clothFX, added paramaters, such as "rubber" then started sewing a ton of points together for an event tearing. Everything works fine. Save, reload the scene...the cloth FX parameters are all hosed for some reason. The numbers are insane numbers I never typed in. Where there is no gravity numbers, there are tens of thousands of numbers put in. WIERD. So basically, I have to set it all up, do my sewing all in one shot...then save out an MDD which works fine. I even tried to save out a text file for the info...but it loads back in screwy. Anyone have an idea what could be happening here? I have one old saved scene that seems to load. I'm just not sure what step I am doing wrong that could cause this issue.

Brett

mummyman
09-25-2011, 06:11 PM
PS...if anyone is still viewing this...using Layout 10.1

Dodgy
09-25-2011, 09:49 PM
PS...if anyone is still viewing this...using Layout 10.1
Is it maybe to do with subdivision order? Did you change that after calculating the motion?

mummyman
09-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Possibly... I did mess with that...but not for calculating. I have so many versions...I lost track. But I've since done another one and just sew points and nothing else...so far so good. It was a real strange thing to happen... never had something like that get so screwy...

mummyman
09-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Is it maybe to do with subdivision order? Did you change that after calculating the motion?

Man...no... I just retried a whole new scene. With a whole new model. Didn't touch the subdivision order. Just set up everything, but started tweeking some animation with bones and calculating cloth over and over. Strange. Shouldn't matter. I do have a scene that saves fine. So not sure what corrupts it, but the settings get way outta whack.

Dang. Not even sure if it's the sewing process or just straight Cloth FX in 10.1. I've used cloth forever...never seen something like this. UG.

lardbros
09-27-2011, 04:04 AM
Definitely worth logging a fogbugz with some content you've created and steps on re-producing the problem!

lardbros
09-27-2011, 04:06 AM
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgEditBug&command=new

Here's the link to the Newtek Bug site... just click, 'New task' and fill in the appropriate details!

erikals
09-27-2011, 04:50 AM
you can also check my signature link "Fogbugz"

mummyman
09-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the info!!!

It also could be a scaling issue??? It's a default daz/poser obj, then cut up in Lightwave. I think the scale is giant sizes... like 400 meters.

But it is working at first. Then, at some point...all goes to crap. And I'm not changing anything. Just tweeking some parameters. Nothing crazy. So next test is to scale the object to actual human size. I'll still report to fogbuz.

Brett

mummyman
09-29-2011, 08:37 PM
I scaled the figure down to human sizing... sewed all my points, and now the sim runs dog slow. This is really strange. I have no clue on this one. Ugg. back to the drawing board.

erikals
09-30-2011, 06:26 AM
difficult to say... :/
haven't had that problem though, change the mm resolution maybe...

mummyman
09-30-2011, 04:53 PM
I'll see what I can come up with. The model isn't that crazy. Especially since Layout had no problem chugging through it before.

jasonwestmas
09-30-2011, 06:37 PM
scaling is the number one issue I see people struggle with especially with ffx. Try to work closer to real world sizes, then apply your fx.

mummyman
10-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Usually...I do too...but I started testing, never doing so. Funny thing is that the cloth was working great at a giant scale...till my numbers went out of whack. Now...not even close to being useable. So freaking annoying.

erikals
10-01-2011, 12:04 PM
can u share part of the scene?

mummyman
10-02-2011, 07:18 AM
can u share part of the scene?

Sure... hope it attached properly. In the zip/rar file.. there are 2 scenes. The .txt file is just the saved out parameters of the cloth when they are working "good". The 2 scene files are the same basically. But they are at the giant-sized scales. I haven't scaled to human sizing on these 2 scenes. I did that in another test that's too big to save out.

The "working" scene...things load properly, I can click calculate...everything works fine. The messed up scene is just a new saved version of the other. I never did anything else and if you look at the cloth parameters...ex "Advanced" tab... the numbers are bonkers. Oh well! But, the .txt file can be loaded into the messed up version. Crazy. I haven't tried this type of test/cloth scene with these exact models at human size to see if it does it. I tried a too complex test... probably can just bypass the whole thing and do tricks in post FX. Oh.. Mdd's save out fine for the "working" version. So at least I have that. Cool effect!!! Thanks for any input. Brett.

erikals
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM
tested it a bit, but it seems to crash over here, i think LW didn't like the scaling of the object for some reason. so i guess the best bet would be to do it over again at the right scale. :/ (the guy is 450m (http://www.gonomad.com/destinations/0601/images/mac-tower-.jpg) tall ;]
(but if so u can pretty much use the default settings)

p.s. this plugin makes sewing easier...
http://www.kevman3d.com/lightwave.asp?section=plugins&sub=modeler
 

mummyman
10-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks for checking it! And thanks for the sewing plugin. I'll give that a try. Auto sewing would be AMAZING. You saw what I was sewing. I think I double that easy...doing another test at the correct scale. Then, after all that a few weeks back...the simulation ran dog slow and couldn't test it. But, like I mentioned. The simulation at the 450meters tall ran fine, until I shrank him. Very strange.

It's still a neat effect... Thanks for the link...

Brett

mummyman
10-02-2011, 05:46 PM
PS.. here's what the effect looks like... rendered

mummyman
10-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Sweet....I tried the Lscript and it seem to work perfectly on a sphere so far.. Damn! Wish I looked into this earlier. I must have spent many many 20 minute sessions stitching necks and mouths, and heads. I'll try those next.

Many thanks again!

erikals
10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
very cool :]

wonder, how will you solve the volume inside?
(and the sew-lines, post maybe?)

note,
i read the sew ClothFX function could be buggy if used with too many vertecies/points, just a "heads up" :]
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=48069 (this was 2006 though, might be fixed)

wow, my memory, seems Dodgy made a plugin too :]
(might be the best alternative, fast if combined with a Vmap)
http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html#SewCoincidentPoints

  

mummyman
10-03-2011, 05:21 AM
Volume and sew lines can be hidden with texturing and yeah...lots of post dissolves n such. It's all WIP / extra fun stuff when time allows.

I'll give the other link a check later today. THank you. I did try more verticies on the auto-sew. It did work, however, combining it with fixed areas... I had some strays around the whole neck-line that seem to fly off as well. Never saw that happen with native Cloth FX. Odd! Maybe combining with weights / bones may help. Great memory! I'll check things out.

Awesome..glad you can help...

mummyman
10-03-2011, 07:28 AM
very cool :]

wonder, how will you solve the volume inside?
(and the sew-lines, post maybe?)

note,
i read the sew ClothFX function could be buggy if used with too many vertecies/points, just a "heads up" :]
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=48069 (this was 2006 though, might be fixed)

wow, my memory, seems Dodgy made a plugin too :]
(might be the best alternative, fast if combined with a Vmap)
http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html#SewCoincidentPoints

  

Can't seem to get this one to work with 9.6 or 10.1. Says 9.2 only...who knows... Tried it only on a simple sphere.

mummyman
10-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Sorry...scratch that...was using the other auto sewer in Modeler...no layout... looks promising too!

Thnxs