PDA

View Full Version : Make Poly selection order

Philbert
09-24-2011, 02:42 AM
I still don't understand how the selection order works for Make Poly now. It used to be, you select the points clockwise, hit P and the normal is facing you. Do it counter-clockwise and the normal faces away from you.

The way it works now I never know what direction it's going to face.

In this case it did the opposite of what I said above, other times it may work correctly, how do you know?

http://screencast.com/t/idx5z3IKERWD

probiner
09-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Just so this is clear. Repeat what you did but after you make a poly, use Normal Corrector (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=20e5fbf4) on it. I bet it will 'flip'. Thats because the normal is wrongly calculated. It's a Ngon, and you have concave corners. I use "connect" to make it quads, that it will 'flip' too.

Normal Corrector is great for when you modeling with N-gons or the modeling tools use the polygon normal (if this is wrong the editing can go wrong)

Cheers

Philbert
09-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Well my example was an ngon but the same thing happens with quads and it never did d before 9. something.

probiner
09-24-2011, 04:53 AM
Well my example was an ngon but the same thing happens with quads and it never did d before 9. something.

Can you provide a model or part of it where that happens with quads?

Philbert
09-24-2011, 11:15 AM
It seems that when you do it with quads the poly always faces you, no matter what. This is no good either. Well, it's good some of the time, obviously if you want it to face you it's alright.

Either way, this is still broken from the way it worked in LW 7 or 8.

probiner
09-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I see, it seems that it looks at the normals around and it orients it that way.
99% of the times that what you want, but I get that it special situations it migh be annoying.

Maybe you could make a request for a option along the others in Utilities>Plugin>Configure>Make Polygon settings

Cheers

Philbert
09-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Well of course there's the ngon bug too.

Myagi
09-24-2011, 03:45 PM
When I try with the same shape as in the video, it works or fails depending on what vertex I select first. If for example I start a clock-wise with the top right vertex, it works. If I start the loop one vertex to the left of that, it fails (normal faces the wrong direction). Both with the Make Poly and Make Polygon tools.

BUT I get the exact same behavior in 9.6.

Philbert
09-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Right, this started in like 9.0 or 9.2. I think.

Myagi
09-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Oops, I missed the "before" 9 :)

probiner
09-24-2011, 05:40 PM
The new way also looks for open neighbour edges and makes the polygons to close them like Pictrix's puttygon (http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Puttygon/). So normally this is greatbut it will ignore your selection if you wanted a specific polygon that not to cover the hole.

Maybe a simple "Legacy" option that would turn both these features off, would not be problematic.