PDA

View Full Version : The DAVE School

Serling
09-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Well, after 2 grueling days on the road, my daughter and I made it to the DAVE school Friday afternoon. I must say, I can certainly understand why she's so excited to be here. The people are all very friendly and professional and her two roommates are great! It's always hard as a parent to send your kids off to school, but I think she's going to be in good hands here.

I'll be flying back home Tuesday after I finish getting her settled in. I will also be attending orientation with her on Monday, when classes start, so I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully, in a few years when I retire, I can move down here and start my second career after going through the program myself!

JeffrySG
09-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Best of luck to you both!

Titus
09-24-2011, 06:30 PM
There's no doubt you're a cool dad.

Philbert
09-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I loved my year at DAVE, good luck to her. Maybe we'll see a new forum member here soon.

thomascheng
09-24-2011, 10:07 PM
I had a blast there, I think she will too.

Serling
09-25-2011, 03:56 AM
I loved my year at DAVE, good luck to her. Maybe we'll see a new forum member here soon.

I'm giving her the link to the forum here and told her to feel free to ask for help if she needs it. You guys have always been a great help to me and I'm sure she would appreciate it as much as I do.

Thanks again!

Serling
09-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Attended orientation with my daughter yesterday. All good information. Had a chance to meet and speak with Steve Warner for a few minutes...really nice guy who knows his stuff. Glad I invested in one of his LightWave books!

Also got to meet her Block 1 instructor, Rich Suchy...again, super guy who really knows his stuff. I'm auditing his class right now and they're hitting the basics. The daughter seems to be doing fine following along.

Will be flying back home this evening and looking forward to progress reports as the year progresses.

vector
09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Lucky girl and cool dad :)

Vector

Portnoy
09-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Yes, very blessed indeed. Much success to you both and please keep us updated on her progress. I went down to tour the school with my nephew when he thought about attending. I loved their setup and the people were nice and helpful.

Serling
10-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words and best wishes, guys. She's already working her butt off with her first big project due Monday morning. I think she'll do fine. I get anxious because I wish there were more I could do to help her, but all I can offer at this point is support.

We did get her the student priced version of LightWave 10.1, (and a 16GB thumbdrive) so at least she can do some of her work at home now.

Philbert
10-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Nice thing about that student edition is that it will become the full version with the next upgrade.

Serling
10-02-2011, 02:31 AM
Next upgrade as in LW 11 or 10.1? The version she got from the school was version 10.

Philbert
10-02-2011, 02:56 AM
11. I bought 7.5 from the school then when 8 came out I was upgraded to the full version.

Serling
10-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Cool! She'll probably have 11 before I do! :)

Serling
10-24-2011, 04:31 AM
If my daughter knew I were posting her work here, she'd probably be embarrassed, however, I must say that what she has done in 3 full weeks of school there (she's starting her fourth today), I am simply blown away. And this work is coming from a student who - before attending school there - had never touched a 3D program of any kind in her life!

So I hope she doesn't mind, but I must say I am really pleased with her progress there.

The projects she's had to do are uploaded in the order they were produced each week. She hasn't been in Layout yet, so she isn't aware of the F9 render->Save Exposed feature, so she's been shooting the screen with her cell phone and texting me her work.

She's doing a lot better at this stuff than I am, and I've been trying to teach myself for almost 4 years now!

They started on organic modeling last week, and her Mr. Incredible looks pretty awesome to me!

And if you happen to read this, Jess, keep up the good work! :)

Philbert
10-24-2011, 04:52 AM
That's better than most of the stuff I do. I wonder if DAVE still offers the free year to grads...

Serling
10-24-2011, 08:17 AM
They do. It was explained in orientation when I was there.

Serling
10-30-2011, 07:48 PM
OK, guys, hate to keep bragging on my kid, but if parents don't who will, right?

Here's a non-CG pumpkin carving she did at friend's house Sunday.

Chuck
10-30-2011, 08:04 PM
OK, guys, hate to keep bragging on my kid, but if parents don't who will, right?

Here's a non-CG pumpkin carving she did at friend's house Sunday.

That's a really cool carving! Congrats on a very talented daughter! :)

Philbert
10-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Better than any I've ever done.

jasonwestmas
10-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Looks like a lot of fun! Keep it up. If I had a kid I'd probably talk about them all the time.

Serling
10-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Better than any I've ever done.

Heh. Don't even put me in the same room with sharp knives or they'll be calling me "lefty."

Serling
10-31-2011, 01:51 AM
That's a really cool carving! Congrats on a very talented daughter! :)

Thank you, Chuck. She didn't get the art gene from her old man, though. (That's why I'm a video editor!) :thumbsup:

stevenpalomino
12-19-2011, 03:18 PM
any more progress? ;)

OnlineRender
12-19-2011, 04:02 PM
just out of interest how much cash we talking for a UK student to go ? 1 YEAR !I priced it but that was 3 years ago so I assume its hefty now ...

please donate to onlinerender @ :)

Serling
12-21-2011, 09:44 PM
any more progress? ;)

You can see all of her block 1 project work here:

http://jessicalowe.webs.com/apps/photos/

ShadowMystic
12-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Ha, we have the last name! Even the same first and last initials.

Serling
12-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Ha, we have the last name! Even the same first and last initials.

Well, should I even ask then if you have/had family up in Mesa or Gilberts, Arizona? I did.