PDA

View Full Version : Urban Pad Viral Campaign

wesleycorgi
09-23-2011, 06:19 AM
In case you haven't seen (similar to the Messiah promotion): http://www.gamr7.com/init/urban_pad/special

Afalk
09-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Looks increedibly useful ! Thanks for sharing this!

manholoz
09-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Wonderful!

LightWuv
09-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Interesting, thanks!

sandman300
09-24-2011, 11:20 PM
I can't pass this up.:D

CaptainMarlowe
09-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Does it work on Mac, or with WINE ?

sandman300
09-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Doesn't look like it, at least for now.I have no idea if they have any plans for future releases.
Quoted fron their FAQ

Claudia Vance (Employee) 1 year ago
To run ▄rban PAD, you'll need:

* Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or higher), Vista (SP1 or higher), or 7 OS
* Intel Pentium 4 or higher, AMD Athlon 64, or AMD Opteron processor
* 2 GB RAM
* 2 GB free hard drive space
* Qualified hardware-accelerated graphics card
* Three-button mouse with mouse driver software

CaptainMarlowe
09-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Doesn't work on Mac (at least the demo) even with WINE, but I'm trying now with Linux, I'll tell the result.

wesleycorgi
09-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Doesn't work on Mac (at least the demo) even with WINE, but I'm trying now with Linux, I'll tell the result.

I've been running a lot of my PC apps via Parallels in Coherence mode, including Fusion, pretty seamlessly. I haven't downloaded the demo yet to check Urban Pad.

nickdigital
09-25-2011, 10:48 AM
What is the model quality like? Is this more for games or can they be tv/film quality as well?

LightWuv
09-25-2011, 03:03 PM
What is the model quality like? Is this more for games or can they be tv/film quality as well?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experience with this, too.

I bought in for the GIS connection. It would be great for me to get the software at this price just for that.

stevecullum
09-25-2011, 05:35 PM

Looks more like its aimed at games, but for long shots or backgrounds looks ideal. For $29 its worth a punt...

geo_n
09-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Looks nice. Node based.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJoTL4__No

IMI
09-26-2011, 06:40 AM
They say

"If we reach this goal in two weeks, everyone will get a copy of ▄rban PAD for $29."

(emphasis added on "If")

So what's to stop them from saying they didn't reach their goal and just saying "oops, sorry about that..."
What IS their goal, for that matter and how would anyone know if they reached it?

We all know what they say about things that sound too good to be true...

sandman300
09-26-2011, 07:28 AM
On the other hand what is to stop them from saying they reached their goal even if they had not.

If they reach the goal, everyone who paid the $29 gets the software, if not the money is returned. I don't see a problem.

Philbert
09-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Probably same as Messiah, they also said "if". Hopefully everyone either gets a refund or they just say "ah what they hell we'll give it to you anyway".

manholoz
09-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Well I did my part, I ordered and posted the news on cgsociety.

LightWuv
09-26-2011, 01:08 PM
We all know what they say about things that sound too good to be true...

All that glimmers is not my two Messiah licenses? :D

Good point. Not reaching the goal seems like bad marketing though. Everyone gets their money back, and I don't think very many would then buy a 700-dollar license. I can't!

IMI
09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Well maybe I've just become jaded and suspicious in my old age.

There are a lot of scams going on in this poor economic climate and lots of people trying to take advantage of people hoping to save money.

I'm not saying Gamr7 is doing that though, but I just can't help but be suspicious of everything these days. Too many let-downs, particularly over the past few years. :(

I'm kind of interested in this though. What happens after you order, and do they say when you'll get either the product or the refund?

LightWuv
09-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Offer ends October 3rd, at which point everyone is either billed and emailed their license, or refunded.

That's how I understand their info, anyways! :)

monovich
09-26-2011, 02:18 PM
worth a shot. I bought in

Philbert
09-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Has anyone used it or seen it being used? They can price it however they want, but I am curious if it's worth $700 or even $30?

sandman300
09-26-2011, 07:08 PM
there is a free trial version, you could always download and try it. Let us know what you think:thumbsup:

Philbert
09-26-2011, 07:37 PM
There's only so much you can learn from a trial, I love to hear the opinion of someone who's used it for a while.

IMI
09-27-2011, 03:04 AM
There's only so much you can learn from a trial, I love to hear the opinion of someone who's used it for a while.

Same here. I don't have time for trial versions anyway, certainly not enough time to fully evaluate it, but it's still always valuable to read the impressions from people who have actually used a product. Especially when those people are using it with the same software I want to use it with.

And that's sort of what I meant by asking what the company has told those who have already ordered through this deal. I can read what it says on the Gmer7 site, but I was wondering what any confirmation emails that were sent out said, if it's anything different or more detailed than what is written on the site.

wesleycorgi
09-27-2011, 05:45 AM
but I was wondering what any confirmation emails that were sent out said, if it's anything different or more detailed than what is written on the site.

I received an update email yesterday on the progress; I don't think I received one during the Messiah promotion. Here's some of the info:

Thank you for your support

The progress bar is moving steadily toward its end. Please continue spread the word, that's how we make it move.

About the license:

Your license will unlocked when the trial ends. In the meanwhile, you can download the trial version, it is fully functional except for the time limitation.

About the billing:

You'll be billed when the trial ends (or refunded).

manholoz
09-28-2011, 08:49 PM
The progress bar is 3/4 complete! Yay!

Philbert
09-28-2011, 08:50 PM
We'll see if I get paid before it ends. lol

IMI
09-29-2011, 02:48 AM
I received an update email yesterday on the progress; I don't think I received one during the Messiah promotion. Here's some of the info:

Thank you for your support

The progress bar is moving steadily toward its end. Please continue spread the word, that's how we make it move.

About the license:

Your license will unlocked when the trial ends. In the meanwhile, you can download the trial version, it is fully functional except for the time limitation.

About the billing:

You'll be billed when the trial ends (or refunded)..

Thank you for the information.:)

manholoz
09-29-2011, 06:48 AM
And the progress bar advanced a notch. This time it seems to be 4/5 complete.

wesleycorgi
09-29-2011, 06:59 AM
And the progress bar advanced a notch. This time it seems to be 4/5 complete.

Last time I looked a couple of days ago, it was less than 1/3 the way there. I didn't think it was going to happen. Now, it looks like I may have a shiny new toy.

kopperdrake
09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
I've plumped for it - had a project a couple of months ago where this would have been perfect for background buildings in a city. Even just to create a city flyover for portfolio use it's a steal if it happens!

cresshead
09-29-2011, 03:47 PM
any videos covering how this thing works?
their site doesn;t appear have much info in this regard.

-EsHrA-
09-29-2011, 04:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/UrbanPAD

Cryonic
09-29-2011, 08:45 PM
I think this is gonna be one of my purchases for the year for software. Could be handy for some small work, like mapping out small villages for games.

manholoz
09-30-2011, 06:47 AM
Yay! The progress bar is milimetres away from being complete!

rcallicotte
09-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Looks like the developers are tuned in and working with their potential customers. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Philbert
09-30-2011, 08:52 PM
I won't have any cash until later in the week, hopefully the will do like PMG did and keep the cheap price for a while.

jwiede
09-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Decided it was worth a shot, now just need to hope the last few pixels of the bar get filled by Monday I guess.

antsj
10-01-2011, 11:21 AM
I put in my purchase given it looks a good deal :thumbsup: for using as others have mentioned. Not sure if it is as feature oriented as the City Engine (Procedural) that also has a version that runs in Vue Infinite or Xstream.

Either way this looks more reasonable than alternatives to Urban Pad campaign. I hope that the last purchases will be made by Monday. Phil, hope you get offer to purchase.

aj

Greenlaw
10-01-2011, 10:28 PM
This looks pretty cool. I went ahead and purchased a license yesterday even though I won't have time to really try it out for a few weeks. For $29 though (until tomorrow) I figure this is a very small risk for what could be a very useful tool.

One possible limitation I see is with this program is that it appears to only work with flat terrains. Can anybody confirm this? It's not a showstopper for some projects but it's obviously an important consideration for others. FWIW, this limitation may be somewhat true for City Engine too but I'm not completely sure about that. (I'm basing this solely on what I've seen rendered from each program.)

G.

xxiii
10-02-2011, 02:48 AM
One possible limitation I see is with this program is that it appears to only work with flat terrains. Can anybody confirm this?

I've been rummaging around in their support forum and found this:

About hills : they are possible as any kind of terrain (only overhead are not possible). to do that you need a new map

- modify the file map_dem.png (black is the lowest altitude, white the highest).

Complete explanation here (http://getsatisfaction.com/urban_pad/topics/how_to_change_city_size_also_are_hills_possible).

By "only overhead are not possible" I assume they mean that I cannot grow cities down from above (like from an overhang), not sure what other interpretation of that comment would make sense. I wonder about in or on the sides of cliffs?

xxiii
10-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Also, they are adding OBJ (and 3DS) export in the next (possibly current by monday) version, which I mention because I know Lightwave can handle OBJ. I'm not really sure about FBX/Collada on the import side of things?

stevecullum
10-02-2011, 04:07 AM
Also, they are adding OBJ (and 3DS) export in the next (possibly current by monday) version, which I mention because I know Lightwave can handle OBJ. I'm not really sure about FBX/Collada on the import side of things?

I tried fbx import to layout and it seems to work ok. It bring in the textures too, but loses the UV map assignment, so there is a lot of fixing at the moment.

jwiede
10-02-2011, 04:38 AM
I tried fbx import to layout and it seems to work ok. It bring in the textures too, but loses the UV map assignment, so there is a lot of fixing at the moment.
Does Collada work any better than FBX? Doubtful, I know, but might give it a shot here, if I do I'll report back.

stevecullum
10-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Collada is worse - no textures, placements of buildings are broken, so its all stacked on top of each other.

What's really annoying me right now, is that Urban Pad is bringing my computer to its knees. Its not like it using any CPU power or much ram, but my UI becomes very sluggish. Infact I would say at this point Urban Pad is a bit too slow to be of any practical use (at least on my machine). For $29 it worth it to see if anything improves, but full price? - Not a chance!

gordonrobb
10-02-2011, 05:57 AM
I downloaded the demo, and built the test city, but having exported the FBX, and tried to import it into LW, it looks like all the buildings on top of each other on their side with no textures. Anyone tried this to build a city and export it into LW?

kopperdrake
10-02-2011, 08:09 AM
I haven't time to test it today, but I'm going to try and pump the fbx through polytrans first to convert it to a lwo. Curious to see if that option works.

Greenlaw
10-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I've been rummaging around in their support forum and found this...

Thanks for this info! This is really good to know and it sounds like this could be more useful than I first thought.

Any idea what the licensing system is like? I was wondering if I need to purchase a second license if I want to use it on both my desktop and my laptop...it's cheap enough that I will certainly consider it.

Well, I guess I still have a day to make that decision. :)

G.

Greenlaw
10-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Hmm...I wonder if the file really is incompatible with LW or if their FBX format is bugged. Have you tried importing the FBX to another program that supports FBX? If the FBX is valid, maybe you can use the free AutoDesk FBX convertor program to convert the data to another flavor of FBX that might work better with LW. Just a few thoughts.

G.

xxiii
10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Well, I guess I still have a day to make that decision. :)
G.

Keep in mind the time difference:
as of my posting time right now:
The current time and date in France is 12:33 AM Monday, October 03, 2011.

I don't know what timezone they are using (gmt perhaps?) for their reference, or maybe its start of business in the morning.

The progress bar is still annoyingly stuck 1 mm from the end, and they seem to still be taking orders.

I'm having trouble finding license specifics.

Greenlaw
10-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Keep in mind the time difference:
as of my posting time right now:
The current time and date in France is 12:33 AM Monday, October 03, 2011.
Thanks for the tip.

I think I'm going to stick with the one copy. I just tried UP on my Tablet PC and it's a bit slow on this computer. I'm sure the program will be much faster on my desktop so I'll install the full copy there when it's time to register.

manholoz
10-03-2011, 05:18 AM
The milestone has been reached! Yay! AND obj and 3ds format will be available pretty soon!

http://getsatisfaction.com/urban_pad/topics/3ds_obj_format_for_export_very_soon

http://getsatisfaction.com/urban_pad/topics/share_it_offer_is_a_success

Greenlaw
10-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Cool! Thanks for that report.

Hope I can give Urban Pad a proper run soon. :)

calilifestyle
10-03-2011, 11:36 AM
i was playing with demo and nothing export correctly. even using Blender the mat. didn't work. maybe if i had more time to test it out i would have figured it out.

kopperdrake
10-03-2011, 05:40 PM
I can confirm what others have said - fbx import comes in rotated 90 degrees the pitch, UV mapping is intact and the textures also come in, BUT, every surface has a UV map called 'default', whereas the only UV map available in Modeler is called 'unnamed' (and this shows all the geometry correctly in place if chosen) - there is no 'default' UV map showing in Modeler, but every instance of mapping the surfaces panel uses the 'default' UV map (which doesn't actually exist). You can't rename the 'unnamed' vertex map to 'default' - it won't change'. I guess you might be able to go through every surface and tell it to use the 'unnamed' UV map as opposed to the 'default' one, but that would be very tedious.

Collada comes in but all stacked at world origin and without textures.

PolyTrans brings nothing in as an fbx file - neither fbx5 or fbx6. Here's hoping the 3ds format works, though isn't there a 65k poly limit on 3ds files?

manholoz
10-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Anybody test the obj or 3ds export in the update launched today? I've had no time to test the software yet...

monovich
10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
hopefully they will sort some of this out. I expect they will. still... for $29 it was worth the risk.

Greenlaw
10-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Just got my email about the end of the campaign. They're a little behind in sending out licenses--the response apparently overwhelmed their expectations. Also, it sounds like they're planning to release minor updates every two weeks.

For people who missed out on the campaign, they're offering a latecomers discount. ($79)

G.

rcallicotte
10-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Tried OBJ and it worked, but the scale was off. FBX is seen here in this attachment. Just the basic city export...

rcallicotte
10-04-2011, 02:19 PM
...and a useful link - http://www.youtube.com/user/UrbanPAD

Greenlaw
10-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Tried OBJ and it worked, but the scale was off.
Just curious but was this just the usual cm to m scale issue, or was is an odd scale factor?

G.

JamesCurtis
10-04-2011, 03:45 PM
When my obj export of the basic buildings from a new project losd from UrbanPad came into Modeler, I had to rotate it on the x axis 90, and all the parts were spread out a bit. What did I do wrong? All textures are where they should be however.

I'm using the program version available from their forum from the newsletter.

See pic below.

Philbert
10-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Just got my email about the end of the campaign. They're a little behind in sending out licenses--the response apparently overwhelmed their expectations. Also, it sounds like they're planning to release minor updates every two weeks.

For people who missed out on the campaign, they're offering a latecomers discount. ($79)

G.

Aw, guess I missed the good price. Oh well. I don't think it's worth $80 to me.

xxiii
10-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Should it still be relevant to someone, (an excerpt from) the license says:

A license of the Software must only be used on one computer simultaneously. A license of the Software may be installed on a total two computers or virtual machines simultaneously. You may copy the Software for back-up or archival purposes.

Greenlaw
10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Yes, that's what I wanted to hear! Thanks for finding this. :)

manholoz
10-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Just received the license registration how-to. But the license itself has not arrived. They must be having lots of traffic.

manholoz
10-06-2011, 06:13 PM
And the license patch arrived. All good and well.

xxiii
10-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm still waiting for mine, but I'm a bit concerned that its appearing as if its node-locked.

manholoz
10-06-2011, 09:06 PM
It appeared as node locked in my machine until I had my firewall enter auto-learn for an hour, then launching urban pad. I had been clicking "accept" like crazy on previous attempts and still failed. The auto-learn did the trick.

xxiii
10-07-2011, 08:09 PM
If you set UrbanPAD to centimeters when you export it will come into lightwave at the right size (you'll still have to rotate x+90 though).

When my obj export of the basic buildings from a new project losd from UrbanPad came into Modeler, I had to rotate it on the x axis 90, and all the parts were spread out a bit. What did I do wrong? All textures are where they should be however.

The spread out a bit is a known problem they fixed in 3.0.10b (which they've apparently released as a hotfix instead of waiting their normal two weeks; I haven't tried to download it yet).

I did a little research on obj to find out what its "supposed" to do, and it appears to be a unit-less format, but I do wish lightwave had an option at load time to say what units and axis/handedness you would like it to assume for the file.

xxiii
10-07-2011, 08:14 PM
It appeared as node locked in my machine until I had my firewall enter auto-learn for an hour, then launching urban pad. I had been clicking "accept" like crazy on previous attempts and still failed. The auto-learn did the trick.

I'm not sure we're referring to the same thing? I'm talking about if I try to install it on another machine and apply the license unlocker, it might not work.

Greenlaw
10-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Just curious but are you importing the FBX into 10.1 or into an earlier version of LW?

If you're using 10.1, are you having the importer apply the motion modifer to correct the orientation or are you using the new Bake Rotation option? I think either one should work in this situation. If it doesn't, you might want to fogbugz it.

If you're using version LW 9.6.1 or earlier, that might explain the incorrect rotation. 9.6.1 and earlier did not convert the rotational axis for FBX imports, it just interpreted axis literally.

G.

JamesCurtis
10-07-2011, 09:57 PM
If you set UrbanPAD to centimeters when you export it will come into lightwave at the right size (you'll still have to rotate x+90 though).

The spread out a bit is a known problem they fixed in 3.0.10b (which they've apparently released as a hotfix instead of waiting their normal two weeks; I haven't tried to download it yet).

Where can I find the download?

xxiii
10-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Just curious but are you importing the FBX into 10.1 or into an earlier version of LW?

If this is directed at what I've been talking about, we're exporting OBJ (not FBX) from UrbanPAD. In my case, I'm importing it into 10.1.

I did unintentionally export dae (is that collada?) once, the object loaded into 10.1 ok (as one object for the entire city), except it also needed +90x, and it had several surfaces assigned to it in surface editor, but they were all the default, so the textures didn't import correctly.

xxiii
10-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Where can I find the download?

I'm having trouble finding it, but I see someone with the same name as you just right now asked about it.

JamesCurtis
10-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Haven't gotten my license yet - been 3 days since registering. Anyone else?

rcallicotte
10-08-2011, 09:13 PM
I got my license two days ago. You might send an email to someone.

xxiii
10-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I got mine yesterday morning.

manholoz
10-09-2011, 06:07 AM
I got mine two days ago, but no time to play around with it.

GandB
10-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Got my license install a few days back; works fine for me.

JamesCurtis
10-09-2011, 12:26 PM
I just sent them an email regarding the situation and have included any pertinent info.

kopperdrake
10-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Got mine on Friday - very neat installation process :)

SBowie
10-10-2011, 04:23 AM
Got mine on Friday - very neat installation process :)How so?

kopperdrake
10-10-2011, 06:00 AM
They send a link in the email to their registration page. On that page you:

1) Fill in the email address you used to buy the software via PayPal.
2) Fill in the email address you want to use as the registered recipient (same as above, a friend, a different personal address). This email will get all further correspondence.
3) Paste the licence key from the trial version of the software you already have installed.
4) Paste the transaction ID from your PayPal receipt.
5) Submit form.

Email arrives with a small Licence Installer application.

1) Download the application.
2) Run it.

Your copy on the hard drive is now registered.

Nice and simple, and all worked smoothly.

xxiii
10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm glad they allow for the possibility that you may not want to use the same email address as you use for paypal (although paypal provides a could-be-easier way to provide an alternate address), as well as the possibility that it might have been a gift.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure I would classify the rest of it as neat per-se, unless the unlocker application always works on any future computers I have, otherwise it seems to only be saving you from having to cut'n'paste an activation code in.

JamesCurtis
10-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Well. I finally got my license yesterday.

Now, where exactly do I get the newest software update [web link]? Only see the demo request on the download page.

rcallicotte
10-11-2011, 06:57 AM
James, it's under the Download tab - http://www.gamr7.com/init/urban_pad/evaluation

Lito
10-11-2011, 08:21 AM
So to update the program you always have to request the latest demo from the evaluation page? Doesn't seem to have any check for new version in the software itself.

Cryonic
10-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Check the support forums. They post links to the latest version there that doesn't require you to request a demo.

http://getsatisfaction.com/urban_pad/updates/recent

rcallicotte
10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Oh, good to know...

Check the support forums. They post links to the latest version there that doesn't require you to request a demo.

http://getsatisfaction.com/urban_pad/updates/recent

Gamr7
11-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Hi everyone, we just wanted to send a belated thank-you for making this special a success and let you know that a new version is available today (http://www.gamr7.com/init/urban_pad/evaluation). if you're still having problems with scale or formats, go ahead and update, and there's a good chance that they'll be solved in this version. If not, let us know, and our devs will get on it ASAP. Thanks again!

GandB
11-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Is there any easier way to update, than to go through the whole process again (such as an updater in the actual program itself)?

Eagle66
11-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Anyone done anything with Urban Pad, distance cities to LW, etc.?

Cryonic
11-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi everyone, we just wanted to send a belated thank-you for making this special a success and let you know that a new version is available today (http://www.gamr7.com/init/urban_pad/evaluation). if you're still having problems with scale or formats, go ahead and update, and there's a good chance that they'll be solved in this version. If not, let us know, and our devs will get on it ASAP. Thanks again!

Rather than force us to get it via the evaluation list. Why not do like the last update from 3.0.9 to 3.0.10 which was a static link from the support forum?

http://getsatisfaction.com/urban_pad

Greenlaw
11-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Anyone done anything with Urban Pad, distance cities to LW, etc.?
I'm curious to see what other Lightwavers do with Urban Pad too. Right now I'm too busy finishing up a couple of short film projects that don't require big cities but FWIW I do intend to use Urban Pad on a future project.

G.

wesleycorgi
11-08-2011, 02:27 PM
if you're still having problems with scale or formats, go ahead and update, and there's a good chance that they'll be solved in this version. If not, let us know, and our devs will get on it ASAP.

Cool, this version finally works for me (I had almost given up hope). I am using Win XP 32-bit under Parallels.

Eagle66
03-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Gamr7 is closed
http://www.gamr7.com

Urban Pad - EOL......

Philbert
03-25-2012, 12:17 PM
That's sad. Though I must admit, I am a little bit glad that I didn't buy the software.

jwiede
03-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm just hoping they make the final released version available to customers who hadn't had a chance to download it yet. I'd been a bit remiss on downloading updates, and really wish I'd been more proactive about it now.

Greenlaw
03-25-2012, 03:42 PM
That's unfortunate...the initial release I played with had some issues but the program showed promise too. I purchased Urbanpad during the viral campaign so the financial loss is almost trivial but I was really hoping to see this product reach maturity.

Guess I should take another look at City Engine (http://www.esri.com/software/cityengine/index.html). It's a bit more expensive than Urbanpad ($500) but it's been around for a while.

There's also a Vue plug-in version of CityEngine (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/about/?page=PRIndex&date=December%20%2009,%202010) for $199--that version sounds like a bargain. Anybody try it yet?

G.

Phil
03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
There's also a Vue plug-in version of CityEngine (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/about/?page=PRIndex&date=December%20%2009,%202010) for $199--that version sounds like a bargain. Anybody try it yet?

G.

I have been using that heavily here. It's what I used to create the city layout for this :

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=124807

I've posted various notes about how I set it all up, so perhaps that proves helpful.

It does take some determination to figure out the odd programming language used by CityEngine, but once it clicks, it makes some kind of sense.

Greenlaw
03-25-2012, 05:05 PM
That's great information Phil! Thanks for posting that. BTW, CityEngine Vue must have gone up in price...when I check the current Cornucopia price list it's $399, or $200 more than what's mentioned in the press release above.

Hmm. Starts to makes me wonder why not just get CE Basic ($500) instead.

G.

Lito
03-25-2012, 08:35 PM
If you follow that page, you need to join their C.Club to get it for that $199 price. (Edit: looks like they raised the price on the product page it says the C.Club price is now $299)

It's sad to see gamer7 close up shop. I also haven't used the program in a while so I am pretty sure I don't have the latest version either.

Phil
03-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if companies would give notice prior to shuttering their operations? There must have been warning signs, and whilst I never could figure out how to use Urban Pad, I'm annoyed to have once more lost money on software I cannot use in future because of the DRM attached to it.

stevecullum
03-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if companies would give notice prior to shuttering their operations? There must have been warning signs, and whilst I never could figure out how to use Urban Pad, I'm annoyed to have once more lost money on software I cannot use in future because of the DRM attached to it.

Yep - me too. Lost money again. :(

Although no company is ever going to advertise that they are financially on the brink and about to close - companies like that need all the money they can get and who would invest if they knew the company was broke?

Phil
03-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Well at least I only dropped cash on it during the viral campaign, but it still irritates me when developers act like this. Is it surprising that so many seem to end up using cracks when so many developers take a 'f$ck you' attitude to their users like this? Examples are numerous.

It wouldn't have taken much consideration to, say, provide notice a week before shuttering the operation, in order to allow users to retrieve the last build and any docs, etc. that were useful. It's purely a moral question, after all. That lack of respect highlights the "f$ck you" attitude.

At least some choose to show respect, for example Animeeple, but those are very much the exception rather than the rule. Animeeple managed to provide plenty of notice and even packaged up their program without restrictions for users.

stevecullum
03-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Well at least I only dropped cash on it during the viral campaign, but it still irritates me when developers act like this. Is it surprising that so many seem to end up using cracks when so many developers take a 'f$ck you' attitude to their users like this? Examples are numerous.

It wouldn't have taken much consideration to, say, provide notice a week before shuttering the operation, in order to allow users to retrieve the last build and any docs, etc. that were useful. It's purely a moral question, after all. That lack of respect highlights the "f$ck you" attitude.

At least some choose to show respect, for example Animeeple, but those are very much the exception rather than the rule. Animeeple managed to provide plenty of notice and even packaged up their program without restrictions for users.

I didn't loose to much either - at least the CEO left his email address if you want to contact him...

Lito
03-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately we don't really know the details of why they can't provide purchasers a DRM free version. Since on the page it states it is because of "legal reasons and not technical" I can only assume that it is because of some kind of patented technology they are licensing or other contract terms they must fulfill. For example if they were using Adobe's DRM server tech, it cost them like $15k-$50k per year to run the server, and also a small per user fee. You think they could just remove the DRM completely but depending on what their contract/license stipulates they might not be able to do that while their DRM license is still in effect.

Cryonic
04-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I received the following message today from Gamr7

Urban PAD News: Gamr7 is closed

This is likely the last email you'll got from Gamr7. We are closed.
What happened ?

2012 was a good year but a changing market and some last minute contract cancellations made it impossible to continue.

With over 1200 licenses sold and customer ranging from the big corps (Thales, the French army) to the small indies, the success was around the corner. Still, some of those big contracts were either delayed or stopped at the last minute for political reasons (debt crisis). Add the debt we accumulated to do a pivot (we moved from AAA gamedev to Unity/indie and simulation market) and you have a quite complete picture of the struggles of Gamr7.
What's next ?

The company is now in liquidation and its assets (mainly the tech) are on sales. As most of the team is willing to continue development, if you have the money/firepower, that's maybe an interesting opportunity. There are already a few candidates, but nothing final so far.

About the licenses, I know this was a concern and we reached a temporary deal with the administration. So, until the liquidation process is finished, I have a mandate to manage them. Contact me via mail to update your license if necessary ( No new license though, I can only help with paid ones).

On a more personal level, this has been hard times but I am still convinced that procedural technology is the future. And as a Leopard can't change its spots, I am already thinking about other projects and looking for opportunities.
Last words

The team and I want to thank personnally all who believed in us and our products. More specifically, I would like to thank the community of Urban PAD users. I appreciated your trust and am really sad to see the story ends this way.

You can contact me (or Bernard) via mail or LinkedIn.

Best regards,

Lionel Barret
[email protected]
LinkedIn Profile

Bernard LÚgaut
[email protected]
LinkedIn Profile

Philbert
04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah Gamasutra just posted an article on it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167903/Urban_PAD_middleware_dev_Gamr7_closed_selling_its_ tech.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+Ne ws%29

DigitalSorcery8
04-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I feel bad for him and the team.

These have been rough times for allot of people and it's sad to see it when those who try very hard don't make it.

I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with how he has handled this (hopefully temporary) downturn - with class and dignity. Unlike other developers who just pack up and leave without any notice, this guy chooses to let everyone know what happened and do the right thing.

I certainly hope that he and his team succeeds in their next endeavor. :thumbsup:

JamesCurtis
04-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah, but the fact remains that if you were a few builds behind [like I probably am], there's no way to get that current version right now.

DigitalSorcery8
04-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but the fact remains that if you were a few builds behind [like I probably am], there's no way to get that current version right now.

From the Urban Pad email:

"About the licenses, I know this was a concern and we reached a temporary deal with the administration. So, until the liquidation process is finished, I have a mandate to manage them. Contact me via mail to update your license if necessary ( No new license though, I can only help with paid ones)."

That makes me think that they will do all they can to help out.

As I said, class!

Ernest
04-04-2012, 10:01 PM
If someone contacts them and finds out what the last version was and if there is a way to still upgrade to it, please let us know. I'd rather avoid flooding them with e-mails from everyone, since I'm sure these must be really difficult times for them.

rcallicotte
04-05-2012, 07:27 AM
I sent an email three days ago and haven't heard back. This only means something if it means something.

Lito
04-05-2012, 08:24 AM
I also sent an email on 4/3 asking about getting the last update, but haven't received a reply yet. But I do kind of expect that they got flooded already when that email got sent out.

Lito
04-12-2012, 11:29 AM
They updated their website. You can download the latest version 3.0.12 from there. A possible problem though is the license. The way it's worded on the page, sounds like if you didn't get at least v3.0.11 installed, the license file might have made changes so it won't just work if you update. I haven't tired updating my v3.0.10a version.

Edit:
Installed the 3.0.12 version over my 3.0.10a version and it looks like everything is working.

rcallicotte
04-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the news. Hope it works!

They updated their website. You can download the latest version 3.0.12 from there. A possible problem though is the license. The way it's worded on the page, sounds like if you didn't get at least v3.0.11 installed, the license file might have made changes so it won't just work if you update. I haven't tired updating my v3.0.10a version.

Edit:
Installed the 3.0.12 version over my 3.0.10a version and it looks like everything is working.

Greenlaw
04-12-2012, 12:16 PM
In my case, I realized the other day I never got my license key. I had the original file installed, played with it for a while, and then got distracted by work so I never followed up on getting them to send me my final key. Now the original installed software is 'expired'. I wrote to them about this last week but I still haven't heard anything from them.

G.

rcallicotte
04-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Did you try the recent download to see if it would install and ask for a key, etc.?

In my case, I realized the other day I never got my license key. I had the original file installed, played with it for a while, and then got distracted by work so I never followed up on getting them to send me my final key. Now the original installed software is 'expired'. I wrote to them about this last week but I still haven't heard anything from them.

G.

Greenlaw
04-12-2012, 02:00 PM
No, I haven't. I'll try it out...thanks for the tip.

G.

Greenlaw
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Ah, just read the notice on their website. Sounds like they're busy trying to complete registrations/re-registrations. Guess I'll keep an eye on this.

Greenlaw
04-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Just tried the posted version. UrbanPad goes into the 30-day trial mode and there's a place for entering a key, but that's the problem...I was never sent a key to begin with.

G.

rcallicotte
04-12-2012, 09:19 PM
You should be on record as having purchased it, I would think. So, I think you said you sent an email. Hope it gets sorted out for you.

Just tried the posted version. UrbanPad goes into the 30-day trial mode and there's a place for entering a key, but that's the problem...I was never sent a key to begin with.

G.