PDA

View Full Version : Resource Collector

jasonwestmas
09-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Is there a resource collector script out there in Lightwave Land?

I've been doing a lot of tiling of textures and I don't want to have to go through a huge list of textures to find the ones I'm using in my scene so I can edit them.

In max I can simply point to a folder and the resource collector will dump all the textures that are applied to an object and consolidate them automatically for me. Would be really nice for video game stuff especially I think.

http://www.3dmax-tutorials.com/Resource_Collector_Utility.html

Lewis
09-23-2011, 12:26 AM
You can try "Package Scene". It should copy all to single folder after you run it on successfully loaded scene.

geo_n
09-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Dstorm has Image checker plugin for collecting textures only that works in modeller and layout. But if you want resource collector like max, packagescene is better in lw as it collects even hdr not like resource collector.

lardbros
09-23-2011, 07:09 AM
You can try "Package Scene". It should copy all to single folder after you run it on successfully loaded scene.

I've been using this, but it doesn't seem to copy textures, external to the project folder, into the packaged folder. Is this meant to be like this?

Would be great if it was like the resource collector in 3ds max... it collects ALL assets no matter where they are, bundles them into one folder and makes sure it all works lovely! Simple...

maybe a feature request is in order? :D

Lewis
09-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Are you used Package scene recently and see that behavior or in past. It was broken for some time in beta but now it should work in most cases (there is still some rare cases in huge scenes when it don't work but i can't reproduce it always to report). So if it doesn't then it's BUG since i don't see logic in it if it misses some textures in loaded scene.

BTW i hate when people scatter files all around for project(s), it's so messy :) - for me it's always content in single folder with name of project so i basically don't even need that other than checking is the tool/Lscript working properly ;).

lardbros
09-23-2011, 07:47 AM
It's in 10.1 that i get this, but I'm sure it used to work.

I ALWAYS copy regular textures into the project folder, or save them there, but with my huuuge collection of HDR images I keep one centrally located folder, and load them from there... when I send my files to anyone, I have to go and manually copy this file into the project folder, and then reload it from there... but I would rather Package Scene 'collected' it from the central location.

I do generally agree, keeping files within the project folder is by far the best option, but for this single case, it would come in handy :D

Anyone else? :D

Lewis
09-23-2011, 07:54 AM
I could try to deliberately put some textures outside and test but I'm going on short vacation starting from today so i don't have time to test :D. But if you can find this BUG report it since it should copy all loaded just fine - otherwise it's not so great feature if you already have all in folders (like i do) since then you don't even need it :D ;) :).

cheers

jasonwestmas
09-23-2011, 08:01 AM
BTW i hate when people scatter files all around for project(s), it's so messy :) - for me it's always content in single folder with name of project so i basically don't even need that other than checking is the tool/Lscript working properly ;).

Thanks for all the help guys,

I find this resource dumping feature to be the most handy when I have a long list of texture versions and revisions, different formats etc. and I can't remember all the ones I used. Then when I have to hand off my textures files I have to hunt and peck to convert all my PSD working files to PNG. It's so much easier to just quickly consolidate a list of the final textures and place them into a single package.

I just tested and package scene appears to have collected all my object images correctly.

lardbros
09-23-2011, 08:08 AM
I could try to deliberately put some textures outside and test but I'm going on short vacation starting from today so i don't have time to test :D. But if you can find this BUG report it since it should copy all loaded just fine - otherwise it's not so great feature if you already have all in folders (like i do) since then you don't even need it :D ;) :).

cheers

Don't worry... have a nice holiday, and I'll go and test with other textures and different settings... got a slow Friday afternoon after delivering some big jobs, so will give it a go! :D

geo_n
09-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Packagescene works except for some rare master plugins that you need to remove. The folder structure is same as lightwave content structure so if you don't do projects this way then you're in trouble.
If you only need to collect the textures then dstorms plugin is very useful.
Resource collector for 3dmax is busted. I bought a plugin to collect everything even hdr, ies files, and pointcache files.

lardbros
09-23-2011, 08:15 AM
So, it sounds like it needs to be a feature request then. I realise for the most part, having stuff in your project folder is the logical thing, but you can't copy every HDR image you try in a scene into the folder... just doesn't seem that logical. Then when you're done, package scene, and it will collect everything ready to pass onto the next person in line :D

I've not had issues with 3dsmax's, but then don't use it very often at all, would be a different story if I used it at home though. Package scene is very handy for doing those turbosquid models.

jasonwestmas
09-23-2011, 08:20 AM
So, it sounds like it needs to be a feature request then. I realise for the most part, having stuff in your project folder is the logical thing, but you can't copy every HDR image you try in a scene into the folder... just doesn't seem that logical. Then when you're done, package scene, and it will collect everything ready to pass onto the next person in line :D

I've not had issues with 3dsmax's, but then don't use it very often at all, would be a different story if I used it at home though. Package scene is very handy for doing those turbosquid models.

Agreed, kind of a must for larger projects that require you to use pre-made textures. Plus editing them to create other versions only adds to the complexity and need for "quicker" methods of organization. It doesn't mean we are dumb if we have to for some reason pick textures outside of our main project folder.

jasonwestmas
09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
That image checker plugin works great with 10.1! Thanks geo n. Just have to right click in the image checker panel and select copy, which might not be obvious.

geo_n
09-23-2011, 08:32 AM

We only have custom textures in a project folder, ones that were created specifically for a project. HDRs and old textures are on a server location. But once you use package scene they do get collected and sent to the client. Or if you use dstorms plugin you can easily select textures that are outside the project folders and copy them at once.

3dmax has dozens of resource collectors at scriptspot.com but unfortunately they don't copy the mentioned files pointcache,hdr,ies,etc. We bought filepathfinder pro at work but its locked to one machine. :D

geo_n
09-23-2011, 08:34 AM
That image checker plugin works great with 10.1! Thanks geo n. Just have to right click in the image checker panel and select copy, which might not be obvious.

Yeah its cool and works in layout and modeller. :thumbsup:

lardbros
09-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Weird... I've just tried a new scene, and set up a couple of boxes with textures from a network drive, a textured environment which is a texture from a network drive... and package scene worked fine. I thought this worked, but I've tried it countless times at home with no success... hmmmm, I'll post my scenes with a fogbugz and see what Newtek say!

jasonwestmas
09-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah its cool and works in layout and modeller. :thumbsup:

Right, I wanted something that works in modeler anyway and not have to create scene and object folders that I will never use. =)

Sensei
09-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I think it's doable as plug-in.

Sensei
09-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Right, I wanted something that works in modeler anyway and not have to create scene and object folders that I will never use. =)

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=1184802