PDA

View Full Version : Four-hands?

SBowie
09-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Just by chance while doing some testing, I noticed that it's possible to connect both an LC-11 and a 450 CS or 850 CS to an XD at the same time. Just because it seems to work, I wouldn't go so far as to say that this should be considered 'supported' or 'recommended', but I haven't seen any conflicts here.

Some might find this useful in certain contexts, as for example if you want to give one individual primary switcher control while someone else manages just the FX selection or Aux.

Please insert standard disclaimer here ("If your system crashes, your dog dies, your boss runs off with your teenage daughter, etc., etc., don't come crying to me.") ;)

PIZAZZ
09-22-2011, 08:19 AM
I personally enjoy 2 x XD850 CS's attached at the same time. Looks impressive too. Lots of colored lights.

bbeanan
09-22-2011, 08:45 AM
How about 4 CSs then?

SBowie
09-22-2011, 08:47 AM
I personally enjoy 2 x XD850 CS'sOnly two? :devil:

Lots of colored lights.That is of utmost importance, yep (esp. when the client is looking over your shoulder with your invoice in hand.)

adebats
09-22-2011, 01:27 PM
How about an oscilloscope (sorry this should be in the feature requests)

TakeOneDigital
09-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Has anyone tested whether simultaneous "hits" on two CS's would work? Like if Director hit Auto while TD hit somethin on the FX row? I should test even if the mouse would work while someone was using the CS full-time (say cutting a fast show w a take every 3 seconds). I could use this to tweak audio (mouse) while someone else is switching a graduation.

joseburgos
09-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Although this sounds cool but in production, unless I can turn off buttons on the "slave" panel, I would not do it unless I was the only one using both panels. It's hard enough to not press the wrong button in a live production let alone having someone else do it for you :(

Take care,

SBowie
09-23-2011, 06:54 AM
I think someone with an LC-11 that was otherwise unused might trust a second person to punch only the FX row buttons - on pain of defenestration, of course.

PIZAZZ
09-23-2011, 10:14 AM
I think someone with an LC-11 that was otherwise unused might trust a second person to punch only the FX row buttons - on pain of defenestration, of course.

Or think about it as a hot backup even.

Just last weekend, I ran the mouse on the 850 and someone else did all the camera switching on the CS. Live college football broadcast to FOX local. No issues with simultaneous button presses or anything like that.

joseburgos
09-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Or think about it as a hot backup even.

Just last weekend, I ran the mouse on the 850 and someone else did all the camera switching on the CS. Live college football broadcast to FOX local. No issues with simultaneous button presses or anything like that.

I can see mouse but the keyboard scares me as a simple press of space bar and enter key would make me crazy :)

Lee-AVP
09-23-2011, 12:00 PM

This year for one of our productions, we hired a TV truck to handle the broadcast while we took care of switching the in-house video screens.

Instead of taking splits for every single camera, they gave me an iPad where I could control one of the MEs and send myself anything the truck had. So I punched up a multiviewer down one line and then switched cameras down another. It was very slick.

The warning, though, was the same as Steve's above: The iPad had the ENTIRE truck surface on it. It would have been possible - but very poor of a decision - to start mashing buttons on the primary ME.

jandw
09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Indeed! In larger trucks, this is common practice, and many mixers have that option (even the smaller ones like BPix): give control over one or more AUX outputs or an ME output to a second operator to make a separate mix for different purposes: a livestream, to drive in-set screens, ...

This can be with a dedicated panel (going from one row of buttons to a complete smaller panel with a mix-bar and a lot of control) or with a software view on an iPad or on a computer.

The advantage is obvious: you don't need to bring in a separate switcher to do these separate cuts, which would mean splitting your inputs, ... now your sources go in one mixer, and you can use them to cut an entirely different show to a separate output. No re-patching, etc. necessary.