PDA

View Full Version : my first post and model

synist
10-13-2003, 05:49 AM
hi to everyone.
i really love all the work i have seen here, it is very inspiring and motivating.
i feel quite nervous about my first post, this is also the first forum i have joined.

i have been learning to use lightwave for just over a year and this is the first original piece of work i have done. it is an excercise in modelling to scale. it is a copy of a small plastic toy that i have (a zoid i think).

i have to thank dan ablan and his inside lightwave book for teaching me all i know.

Jure
10-13-2003, 07:06 AM
Well welcome aboard Synist!
It is a nice model you have there. The only thing I'd comment on is the background and shadows... Shadows seem a bit blotchy... Radiosity? If this is a small toy I'd make it a very soft and not to dark shadow. Try using area light.
The background seems to bi a bit too "strong" to my eye. Just a plain dark gray shadow that dissolves to dark might work better - so the eye focuses more on the object itself.

cheers!

synist
10-13-2003, 07:12 AM
the lighting is faked radiosity using a spinning globe of spots. the background is a kind of cartridge paper effect similar to the paper rolls used in photo studios as backdrops.
but i agree with what you say about the dark shadows, maybe i could lighten them in photoshop.

stib
10-17-2003, 01:05 AM
If you're just rendering out a single image like this, why not use real area lights, instead of the spinning light trick? with no caustics, diffraction, or transparency it wouldn't take much longer to render this scene using area lights than it would have to rig the spinning lights, surely..

The spinning light trick is good for reducing render times, which is especially important in animations, but it does produce messy shadows like the ones under the object. Have another go with some area lights in there.. And maybe some real radiosity. Be brave!