PDA

View Full Version : I have a plan

rednova
09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Dear Friends:

I realized there are many freelance jobs offered here once in a time.
As I an intermediate level with lightwave, I still do not have the necessary skill to tackle these jobs.
But I just had an idea !!! From now on, everytime there is an offer for a gig, I will do the animation just for myself so I can increase my skill and get experience. This way, I get better at lightwave !!!
And then, in the future, I will eventually get the needed skill.
What do you think ?

Rednova

robpowers3d
09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Dear Friends:

I realized there are many freelance jobs offered here once in a time.
As I an intermediate level with lightwave, I still do not have the necessary skill to tackle these jobs.
But I just had an idea !!! From now on, everytime there is an offer for a gig, I will do the animation just for myself so I can increase my skill and get experience. This way, I get better at lightwave !!!
And then, in the future, I will eventually get the needed skill.
What do you think ?

Rednova

I think it's a great idea to push your skills like this. You learn much faster from doing. When you have to work through things yourself it will vastly expand your understanding of the overall process. Good luck with your animations!

I think you will find with LightWave that you can make any images in your head into a reality. Just for inspiration, check out what the single artist, Richard Mans, was able to do on his short film Abiogenesis:
http://www.liberty3d.com/article_abiogenesis/

Nicolas Jordan
09-20-2011, 11:49 AM
I find for myself that I need to be working under the pressure of a real job in order to really push myself and expand my knowledge and learn new things about Lightwave. Pressure and deadlines are the little devil with the pitch fork prodding me that keeps me pushing ahead. :D

akademus
09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
I think its a great plan. Make a deadline, even ask someone to play as an annoying client (someone who don't know nothing about 3D) and buy yourself something nice when you're done.

Best of luck!

sandman300
09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
As far as I've seen, the job listing never really say much about what will be asked of the artist. So in that respect, your not going to find a lot to work with unless you contact the person listing the job and the chances are that unless they hire you to do the actual work, they are not going to give you any real info.

That aside, My suggestion to you is to look around for competitions, like at spinquads, simply lightwave, even the speed modeling challenges here on the Newtek forums. They give you a definite goal (which most of the time are left open to interpretation), and are limited by deadlines (much like real jobs). I have found that having a goal like that, helps to push your skills and force you to figure out how to get something done. Also a nice thing about the larger challenges is that you post your progress and a lot of times people will comment on what you could do to make your entry better.

That's my perspective at least.