PDA

View Full Version : import .asm files

Philbert
09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
I have some objects I need to load that are ASM assembly files and .PRT files which I assume the ASM is just the PRT files assembled into one "scene". Anyone know CAD? Have any idea how to get these loaded in LW?

Snosrap
09-19-2011, 09:39 PM
These are Solidworks files. You need that or some other solids modeler to convert them to something like an .STL file to import into LW. I've got Autodesk Inventor and I'd be happy to convert them for you.

Philbert
09-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks it's for a client so I'm not sure if that would be allowed. That gives me a good starting point though, thanks.

Snosrap
09-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Another option is Polytrans http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm?gclid=CLrEq_P2qqsCFYbsKgodrRk-9A
Cheaper than Solidworks or Inventor and does tons of 3D file conversions. Crappy interface but it's pretty much an industry standard tool.

Philbert
09-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I was thinking about polytrans myself.

prometheus
09-20-2011, 06:52 AM
we do lightwave renders of our gym machines constructed with solidworks, and we have established a good pipeline using deep exploration for the conversiont, you just need to do a pre-transformation and adjust the export scaling by a division of 1000.

if exported right with vertex normals, you should get everything correct.
Remember to use perspective camera for renders if you have vertex map smoothing normals applied, classic camera canīt handle that correctly.

And yes..sldasm is compiled prt files.

Michael

prometheus
09-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Another option is Polytrans http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm?gclid=CLrEq_P2qqsCFYbsKgodrRk-9A
Cheaper than Solidworks or Inventor and does tons of 3D file conversions. Crappy interface but it's pretty much an industry standard tool.

Indeed a crappy interface, Ive tried it but couldnīt stand working with it, open gl weird behaviors, hard to find stuff and change materials etc.

Deep exploration navigation works in flying colors, easy to find stuff mostly, and the open gl and navigation is way better, and easy to draw dimension tools.

I should mention that when you import a prt or sldasm file, you should preferably use import settings recommended, once you are ready for export to lightwave, use the obj format, not lwo.
The obj format retains the vertex smoothing from solidworks or you can set and change it in deep exploration.

The export should be set with a pre-transform to get exact match of scaling once in lightwave, Previously in earlier versions of deep exploration you didnīt have to do that, but it changed unfortunatly in the latest deep exploration versions, but just as long you set it up like the image attached, you should have the correct scaling once in lightwave.

If I get the time I might put up a solidwork files to deep exploration to lighwave video on vimeo later.

I really love how you can bake your model in to pdf documents, wich allows for our production guys who mounts and weld parts to see and measure details only by using the pdf docs in full 3d, with build in measure tools in the pdf docs.

Thereīs a demo on the site...
http://www.righthemisphere.com/support/downloads/download.php
On youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DeepExploration#p/a/u/1/dy85M37q1FI

The deep exploration blog
http://visualenterprise.wordpress.com/

Michael

lardbros
09-21-2011, 03:41 AM
Deep Exploration is nicer looking, trouble is much of their SolidWorks support hasn't been updated for a bit, we've been having issues with the latest solid works files. Apparently they are working on it, but can probably assume that Polytrans is probably more up-to-date, Robert works very hard in maintaining it. Just can't vouch for its SolidWorks conversion.

prometheus
09-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Deep Exploration is nicer looking, trouble is much of their SolidWorks support hasn't been updated for a bit, we've been having issues with the latest solid works files. Apparently they are working on it, but can probably assume that Polytrans is probably more up-to-date, Robert works very hard in maintaining it. Just can't vouch for its SolidWorks conversion.

What issues? the only issue I has really is that I need to do a pre-transform save as mentioned and a divsion of 1000 to get correct scale, other than that no problems, but we still use solidworks 2008 thou.

Michael

lardbros
09-21-2011, 05:46 AM
We unfortunately don't have access to SolidWorks in our office (at the moment anyway), but contractors are using 2011 or whatever the latest is, and we've had major issues with the models in Deep Exploration.

Nice points to note about division of 1000 etc, we might need to let our contractors know of these settings that may help us.

3dpete
09-21-2011, 05:54 AM
You can also download solidworks edrawing which is free and should allow you to save as an .stl file.

prometheus
09-21-2011, 05:55 AM
We unfortunately don't have access to SolidWorks in our office (at the moment anyway), but contractors are using 2011 or whatever the latest is, and we've had major issues with the models in Deep Exploration.

Nice points to note about division of 1000 etc, we might need to let our contractors know of these settings that may help us.

I guess we at our company have to wait with a solidworks update then..from 2008 to the latest until the Right hemisphere team fixes that, I suspect they already know about the issues since you mentioned that?

Yeah a pre-transform is neccessary to get exact scale, donīt know why that changed ..in the 5.6 version I could just export out from deep exploration without any pre-transformation and the scale was exact.
In 6.2-6.3 I need to do a pre-transformation thou.
Also important to import in to deep exploration with recommend import settings, not alternate.

Ivé tested solidworks import directly in modo too, that gives wrong rotations thou on some parts, but a fix rotation script fixes that, the wrong rotations is because modo use the solidworks 2010 format not solidworks 2008.

Michael

Philbert
09-21-2011, 01:54 PM
You can also download solidworks edrawing which is free and should allow you to save as an .stl file.

Thanks for the tip. I tried this and it does export STL, Unfortunatly I tested one of the files I had, converted to STL, loaded into Modeler, and it was 2.5 million polys, a little too hard to work with. It looks like the best option by far is to have the client send them in IGES format, then use MoI to convert it to LWO. I am amazed at how well MoI saves to LWO, even showing real time adjustments as you move a slider to pick the poly count.

prometheus
09-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the tip. I tried this and it does export STL, Unfortunatly I tested one of the files I had, converted to STL, loaded into Modeler, and it was 2.5 million polys, a little too hard to work with. It looks like the best option by far is to have the client send them in IGES format, then use MoI to convert it to LWO. I am amazed at how well MoI saves to LWO, even showing real time adjustments as you move a slider to pick the poly count.

I found MOI not able to cope with massive data..even from iges files, you might find your self in trouble with that..my guess is that it would take forever trying to load huge iges files.

Michael

Philbert
09-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Yeah that was troublesome I got the IGES files and aMoI had a lot of trouble loading them they also werenot in the correct places, but that's probably Solidworks's fault. I got a STL file and loaded it in LW but the parts were all on one layer so I have to manually separate them, then I should be able to work.

Dodgy
09-22-2011, 01:38 AM
We use Solid edge instead of works where I work and I've found that the best file format for me is usually .stp files from solid edge, bring those into MOI2 and then export to lwo. MOI is sooooo nice to do the conversion :)
Step files are smaller file sizes than .sat and .iges. (I think my tests showed they were usually 1/3 or less the size of iges files)
They load a lot quicker into MOI than sat and iges. (again, they loaded in 1/3 or less time roughly)
They also seem to be best suited for LW when you export to LW, coming in different layers by part, giving the layers nice names etc.
This is only in my comparison tests, so your results might vary. MOI even seems to give them vaguely useful UVs!
I have to shrink by 1000 (units are in mm rather than m) but this seems to be the best method.

Philbert
09-22-2011, 01:40 AM
Unfortunately I only have what they send me, or actually what they send to my client and he passes on to me.

prometheus
09-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Yeah that was troublesome I got the IGES files and aMoI had a lot of trouble loading them they also werenot in the correct places, but that's probably Solidworks's fault. I got a STL file and loaded it in LW but the parts were all on one layer so I have to manually separate them, then I should be able to work.

The machines we render can reach around 800 000 polys and when you throw in several machines in a scene..that will be a little heavy, but we can always set a bounding box threshold in the display, at least for scene setup.
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=97300&d=1313045009

we first tried a free lightwave script to get solidworks to stl and import to lightwave, but it was to troublesome to go through the whole mesh and trying to select certain parts by polyīs and select connected and expand selection in order to resurface the machines.

It is way much easier to use deep exploration, it is great to select parts,hide parts and do resurfacing, I could have solidworks files consists of 1300 different materials, and in deep exploration I just merge similar materials or collapse some of them and then Im left with only a couple of materials and can start resurface.

Thereīs also a searchable list from where I can search for a special part item and select all those parts with that name and give a unique material.
Then itīs just a matter of replace material or drag and drop a new material on the mesh directly without annoying "would you like to load suface command in lightwave"

Michael