PDA

View Full Version : Weak: LWM & content directory

jeric_synergy
09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
You can set the Content Directory for LWM in LWM, but it doesn't seem to do much.

For instance, if you set it, then try to load an image, it will not default to the default Images directory immediately (although once you launch Layout, it will).

TMK, it's been like that a long time. Directories have always been funky: instead of looking for plugins in the logical place, LW often looks in the Content Directory.

Feh!

biliousfrog
09-20-2011, 03:20 AM
I've never noticed that problem personally (from 5.6 - 9.6), my guess is that you haven't set up the content directory properly.

When looking for plugins it has always looked in the installation directory as far as I know, which is mildly annoying but only requires one or two clicks.

zardoz
09-20-2011, 08:47 AM
with me everything works ok since a long time now. please make sure you use the content directory correctly

jeric_synergy
09-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty sure at this late date I'm using "the content directory correctly".

Here's ANOTHER directory issue:

Try to save a LWM Background file. Now, maybe somebody would consider this a "*.cfg" file, but I don't think any reasonable user would. Instead of going into the current Content Directory, it is shunted off to the config directory, instead of being kept with its project in the Content Directory.

This is lame.

jeric_synergy
09-20-2011, 06:54 PM
OHHHH, but if you go to save a Button or Hotkey file, rather than taking you to the global config directory, it takes you to the current Content Directory.

Genius.

peabuddy
09-20-2011, 06:54 PM
well...I created a simple directory to be the content directory and then created all the other folders (I have a bat file that I added in windows registry that I can access with the right mouse button).
Then I started the hub and modeler. I set the content directory in modeler and when I open an image it opens the Images folder. While saving the backdrop it opened at the root of the content directory. I also opened other things like surfaces, etc and it all opened in the right folders.

So I can't recreate your problem here.

biliousfrog
09-21-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm pretty sure at this late date I'm using "the content directory correctly".

Here's ANOTHER directory issue:

Try to save a LWM Background file. Now, maybe somebody would consider this a "*.cfg" file, but I don't think any reasonable user would. Instead of going into the current Content Directory, it is shunted off to the config directory, instead of being kept with its project in the Content Directory.

This is lame.

Well it just seems a little odd that you are the only person having these issues, no?

If I save a background preset (.cfg) it opens the images folder IIRC.

It sounds very much like a local problem rather than a Lightwave problem, the cause is uncertain but the evidence suggests that it's a problem with your setup.

Let's get back to basics...

Going back to your original post, have you checked that your firewall isn't blocking anything Lightwave related? It seems strange that Layout can use the content directory fine but not modeler.

Delete (backup first) all of your config files. This is especially important if you've updated Lightwave at all since your initial install ie. from 9.6 to 10 or 10 to 10.1.

Ensure that your content directory (eg. C:/Lightwave_Projects) contains all the standard folders you need: images, objects, scenes, etc. and that all of your content is within those folders. If you don't have those folders Lightwave will default to the previous directory or elsewhere to try and find the content or save location.

Did you choose a standard install or a custom one? If you selected a different install location or have custom directories setup then that's another issue and you should consider supplying that information if you'd like help.

Finally, uninstall everything and reinstall.

zardoz
09-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi
actually I've seen that behaviour when saving a render...I create a folder with the date inside the renders folder but when I try to save a render it opens the images folder...It's a bit annoying

IMI
09-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I've had these sorts of problems many times, but I gave up long ago worrying about it. Not all the time, but it just seems that LW has a mind of its own at times

LightWave beat me into submission long ago, and I find it easier to just play along rather than fight it. ;)

jeric_synergy
09-25-2011, 12:30 PM
...... but it just seems that LW has a mind of its own at times

LightWave beat me into submission long ago, and I find it easier to just play along rather than fight it. ;)

I figure, if you don't b´tch up a storm, they won't even know about it. Because they, the devs, too have been beat into submission.

BUT, at least they'll know about it.

LightWave is an artifact, like any other human product, and when it has crappy aspects, those aspects were left in by humans, who should be called to task for it. Especially stuff that isn't rocket science, but just the simple housekeeping. (C'mon, directories??? Sheesh.)

I figure devs LIKE to work on the rocket science, but can't be arsed to keep the toilets scrubbed. :mad:

IMI
09-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Well I don't know about all that.
Some things are worth getting all upset about and some things aren't.
This, IMO, is pretty low on the list of LightWave problems.