PDA

View Full Version : ot - Mac to PC Firewire

toby
10-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Anybody know how to get a FW hard drive formatted so it can be seen by both OSX and XP?

Jimzip
10-13-2003, 05:50 AM
Format the drive in OSX by using:
Applications/Utilities/Disk utility
Choose the disk you want from the 'Erase' tab, and format it using the 'MS-DOS File System' option.
Mac's are friendly with Windows :) .
Hope that helps.

Jimzip :D

toby
10-13-2003, 10:34 AM
Yea, I thought after formatting it on XP I'd be able to read it at home but it didn't work - I'll do what you said and let you know - thanks!

quatermain
10-13-2003, 03:31 PM
i recently did the same, from these instructions i found on the internet

"To manage any aspect of the storage devices on your computer, you must use the Disk Management section of the Computer Management utility. This utility is similar to the Fdisk utility, the Format utility, and the Newfs utility in UNIX.

To open the Disk Management section:
Log on to the Web server computer as an administrator. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the left pane, expand Storage, and then expand Disk Management.

A list of the physical devices that are located on your computer and a description of how they are configured in partitions appears in the right pane.

You need to Partion and Format the HD before it is seen normally on MY Computer.

You can use the device manager to see if the drive is connected to the computer. I have a Clearlight external firewire housing with a IBM TravelLight 5400rpm 40gig HD. It's been picked up as a OXFORD 911 Controller drive.
"