PDA

View Full Version : AlienThink Service Being Stolen

rcallicotte
09-19-2011, 12:18 PM
We could all learn to draw the human figure from our minds - this is an excellent teacher.

Please consider helping this man through this difficult time - http://www.alienthink.com/helpsavealienthink.html

I have used this course and know how good it is.

erikals
09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
quite unfortunately, it might be that it is best for him to stop selling things altogether...

it's sad, but this is sort of like a wake up call, if it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell...
no matter the cause... he has to move on...

an alternative is to stop to promote it, for then to repackage it, using another name, maybe even another website, for then get users to buy the "new" product...

but all-in-all, i find it kind of weird that he seems to rely so heavily on this single income.
(no matter what)
(sorry to sound harsh,...)
 

Dexter2999
09-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Sad that piracy has sabotaged his means to make a living. I have this course. Can't say I watched the whole thing but I did pay for it and got the set of disks (what is it like 7 disks?) Ton of information for the money he was asking.

And the kids I work with don't understand why I don't let them "copy" stuff. They really don't understand the impact this stuff has. They only think in terms of record lables, movie studios, and mega stars with millions of dollars. They don't see what piracy does to real people.

Real shame.

rcallicotte
09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
@Dexter - I have fully enjoyed his teaching and didn't just drudge through it like I have with so many others. He's a real teacher.

@erikals - He has taught for a big studio or two, which is how (I guess) he got started. He then made this set of DVDs and has done quite well until recently.

I think he has something about the underworld cutting the hard working middle guy out - I see it everywhere. Small businesses are threatened by real evil and especially on the Internet. There are actually people trained in China and North Korea to destroy American's online, if possible.

It's time for some reality checks.

KurtF
09-19-2011, 01:16 PM
3D Buzz watermarks all their video products with information about the person purchasing the item. It takes longer to process the order, but if anything leaks out you have legal recourse. Also, should any country abuse or allow piracy, then 3D Buzz removes that country from their shipping list.

Harsh, but you do what you've got to do.

erikals
09-19-2011, 01:30 PM
 
i think that's a great thing actually...
if only there was a way to automate it...

 

rcallicotte
09-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Great idea.

3D Buzz watermarks all their video products with information about the person purchasing the item. It takes longer to process the order, but if anything leaks out you have legal recourse. Also, should any country abuse or allow piracy, then 3D Buzz removes that country from their shipping list.

Harsh, but you do what you've got to do.

Mr Rid
09-19-2011, 07:07 PM
You might catch a few average Joe's, but introduce a tricky new watermark, and an hour later hackers and legal ripware will circumvent. Tracking down violators is mostly out of the hands of one-man ops like Riven, is not easy even for the FBI to do, and wont generate revenue. Making a dvd difficult to copy up front (like RipGuard) seems like the most effective anti-piracy approach, that will at least confound casual users.

"No person has ever gotten ahead in life in the history of this world by stealing. " I certainly feel for him, but unfortunately that isnt true in the least. The current U.S. depression doesnt help and is making people desperate.

Phil
09-20-2011, 08:43 AM
"No person has ever gotten ahead in life in the history of this world by stealing. "

I'd dispute that. Stealing (physical material as well as information) has worked quite well for countries and companies throughout history. Nonetheless, there's no denying the impact of 'theft' like this. The problem is that information has always been difficult to contain. DRM, meanwhile, frustrates real customers. Watermarking is about the only other option, but that increases costs for the content producer.

I doubt that there's really a decent answer, other than not relying on a single source of income when you are working in this market.

Mr Rid
09-20-2011, 10:05 AM
I'd dispute that. ...
I dont think I was clear. That quote is from Riven's complaint about piracy which I am saying, as you are, just aint so.

hrgiger
09-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Well Riven is clearly a religious man so maybe him saying that no person ever got ahead by stealing was from the belief that we all pay for our sins eventually.

Either way, I feel bad for him. I bought his drawing DVDs actually a few years ago and pull them out every once in a while for reference. Certainly worth the low cost he charged me for them.

rcallicotte
09-20-2011, 10:48 AM
I want to say how much Riven's series helped me to move out of the need for reference when drawing and especially helped me with anatomy when working on 3D characters. His teaching pulled me out of the wrong way of thinking about this to a completely better way to think about anatomy. And he did it without the not uncommon need to use reference...just amazing how he does it.

If you're curious, his 19 free videos will have you drawing better than you have...and that's just a small taste.

Money well spent.

Phil
09-20-2011, 12:32 PM
I dont think I was clear. That quote is from Riven's complaint about piracy which I am saying, as you are, just aint so.

Ah, sorry. I misread. Given the long list of corporate customers, etc. on his site I'm somewhat surprised that he hasn't been able to create a nest egg based on the income.

That said, this reads like I'm blaming the victim. I'm trying not to be one-sided, because it does require the other side of the equation to be considered (the freeloaders), but reading his complaint, it does make me wonder why he wasn't aware of the risks inherent in this area of business. I assume that's why Digital Tutors went to pure streaming.

I know that RebelHill has had similar issues with freeloaders for the rigging course he has on sale, so it's a widespread problem.

Iain
09-20-2011, 12:35 PM
There are actually people trained in China and North Korea to destroy American's online, if possible.

It's time for some reality checks.

I think that should be scary but I'm really not sure what it means.

kopperdrake
09-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Maybe they're out to take down AOL? As long as they leave plus.net alone I'm a happy camper.

Dexter2999
09-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Maybe they're out to take down AOL? As long as they leave plus.net alone I'm a happy camper.

Wow, maybe they will take out COMPUSERVE and NET-ZERO as well!

BigHache
09-20-2011, 03:41 PM

I took it to mean to disrupt Americans' ability for growth, economic or otherwise, through the interwebs be it by piracy or whatever. We already see companies in China that blatantly disregard copyrights and trademarks, turn around and sell cheap knockoffs of products they already manufacture for us. Doing similar actions through the Web should only be easier.

Cryonic
09-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Just as the US did when it split from Britain after our Revolutionary War.

achrystie
09-21-2011, 04:25 AM
Well, this is obviously not the right thing to do, pirating his DVD's that is.
I bought the structure of man DVD years ago and it was certainly worth the small amount he was charging. As for the structure DVD I question how revolutionary this was, as a lot of it I was taught in High School art class, and appears in many books on anatomy, although maybe not as completely put together. The 96 hours is also quite meandering and a bit too slow. He could have probably done the whole thing in half the time if he planned it out a bit better. If I were him I'd revise the whole thing and release as 2.0 and/or switch to a one time fee for streaming access model. He's apparently not working anywhere else, so it isn't as if he doesn't have the time...

Regardless, I think he has larger issues than piracy, given that there is no way to determine just how many "pirates" would actually buy the DVD's in the first place.
For instance:

One, he has two more video sets for sale, and despite being a previous customer, I had NO idea these even existed (no marketing/advertising, even by simple email).

Two, he has a wife that has been "disabled" for 13 years, no insurance and FOUR kids....um...it seems as though there are some life choices there that he isn't holding himself accountable too.

I don't wish ill will on anyone, but thinking you can just "make art DVD's", have as many kids as you want, not work a secondary job, be disabled but not take disability benefits (or try to work at "something") and get by, then blaming piracy as the root of the problem, is a bit of a stretch.

That said, my daughter is working on art, so maybe I'll buy the color and perspective downloads. :D

rcallicotte
09-21-2011, 04:32 AM
That there are people being trained in these countries (China and Korea) who are actively trying to bring the networks and associated resources in the U.S. down. This isn't a theory or some sort of extremism. It is happening right now and every day.

rcallicotte
09-21-2011, 04:36 AM
@achristie - I think Riven was doing other things as well. This DVD was a result of years of his labor. It's too bad he doesn't answer some of these responses, but he's been quite busy as a teacher in person and otherwise. He's not lazy, by any means.

As for his teaching...I didn't get an opportunity to go to art school, but the small amount of money I paid was so more than worth it, I've contemplated buying another set just to give to our public library system. He's a brilliant and logical teacher. It takes some grit to come home after work every day and get through it, but I'm glad I did.

achrystie
09-21-2011, 10:02 AM
@achristie - I think Riven was doing other things as well. This DVD was a result of years of his labor. It's too bad he doesn't answer some of these responses, but he's been quite busy as a teacher in person and otherwise. He's not lazy, by any means.

As for his teaching...I didn't get an opportunity to go to art school, but the small amount of money I paid was so more than worth it, I've contemplated buying another set just to give to our public library system. He's a brilliant and logical teacher. It takes some grit to come home after work every day and get through it, but I'm glad I did.

Well, if he's working another job, then his budget and life choices should be based on that job, and all other income, until he's WELL established, should be extra. Again, piracy is bad, and wrong, but not the "root cause" his message seems to imply.

If he quit his job to make DVD's, then he should have been very sure that all future things he produced, would continue to support whatever expenses he already had and would have in the future INCLUDING whatever amount ends up pirated.

It sounds to me that his first videos were a blazing success, but successive efforts have been less well received (or are unknown as I mentioned), and therefore the piracy he speaks of is probably the same as it was before, and he just hasn't received all the industry/adult (real purchases) he received in the past for his new efforts.

There's a market for this stuff, but to assume what you produce will go out into the world and continue to be purchased at the same rate for a lifetime of generations you hope to teach, and that all successive efforts will yield similar results AND no one will pirate the material, is a bit naive.

In other words, I doubt very much that he has maximized the sales for the market that IS available to him. Particularly since I'm already a customer, and yet have to come to a tangentially related forum to find out he has produced anything new....

sandman300
09-21-2011, 10:36 AM
"No person has ever gotten ahead in life in the history of this world by stealing. "

I find it interesting that the Kenedys made their fortune bootlegging whiskey during prohibition.