PDA

View Full Version : LScript Appeal

MentalFish
09-19-2011, 05:35 AM
To any and all LightWave scripters out in the interwibble.

There is quite a few LScripts in circulation, some are very focused and task oriented while others are quite wide in scope. These tools can sometimes become a vital part of someone's pipeline and if we as creators of LScripts become less invested in it, both in time and effort, people using it may end up suffering from unfixed bugs and scripts not working at all.

I would urge all developers of free LScripts to release them as uncompiled .ls sources, so that the scripts can be maintained and stay alive even after the creator of them has stopped caring or been hit by a truck.

biliousfrog
09-19-2011, 05:51 AM
:thumbsup:

It would be nice if there was a central place that these scripts could be stored...I'm not sure how it would work but something along the lines of an opensource community would be good.

MentalFish
09-19-2011, 06:00 AM

It would be nice if there was a central place that these scripts could be stored...I'm not sure how it would work but something along the lines of an opensource community would be good.

Thats what I was planning/hoping with this: http://lwhub.wordpress.com/
Several owners of it, can't go away if one person is hit by a truck, multiple contributors and so on. But it was already dead on delivery. :help:

For now I'll try to maintain my own site and keep my scripts alive. If I am pronounced decommissioned by a reliable source, then you guys are free to do whatever you want with the scripts, post it here, host it there, stick it up your... or anything you feel like doing with it.

a sandwhich
09-19-2011, 07:02 AM

I would recommend a nice git repository, maybe a community github account.

nickdigital
09-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I would urge all developers of free LScripts to release them as uncompiled .ls sources, so that the scripts can be maintained and stay alive even after the creator of them has stopped caring or been hit by a truck.

I would also like to encourage coders to comment their code. Comments really do make a difference.

MentalFish
09-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I would also like to encourage coders to comment their code. Comments really do make a difference.

Duly noted :thumbsup: but no promises :D

Titus
09-19-2011, 12:27 PM
How about making a decompiler? :devil:

Dodgy
09-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Well all mine are uncompiled, and I encourage people to use them to learn how to (probably badly if they're learning from my code!) write lscripts...

Bill1955
09-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Well all mine are uncompiled, and I encourage people to use them to learn how to (probably badly if they're learning from my code!) write lscripts...

Who's to say what badly is. If the code accomplishes what it was meant to do, then it is good code. If it teaches others to do what they need to do, then it is excellent code. Thank you all for all that you unselfishly share.:thumbsup: