PDA

View Full Version : lightwave textures to blender

skywalker113
09-18-2011, 10:41 PM
I tried importing a lightwave object into Blender 2.5. everything worked, except the image textures did not get through. They did not show on the model. I dont want to have to retexture everything. Is there a way to import a lightwave file into blender and have the uv maps and image textures in order?

nickdigital
09-19-2011, 01:38 PM
I would be suprised if Blender could read LightWave's texturing system unless it was basic UV image maps. You might need to bake your LW textures first.

skywalker113
09-19-2011, 07:47 PM
The textures im trying to import are image maps with uv's.

paulhart
09-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Lightwave and Blender are fair companions, but they approach many of the implementations from a different strategy. I have a split window in one screen with a half of another screen devoted to the outliner and properties windows. Import the Lightwave object into Blender, then in one of the windows, choose UV Editor. Now, go to the object and switch to Edit Mode, to see the UV's show up that you created in Lightwave, (or elsewhere). Click on the Image menu to place the image in the UV view. You will have to navigate to the Images folder since Blender doesn't have the same expectations of folder setup as Lightwave. This is just to confirm that your UVs and images are "officially" in Blender. Now, select Textured Solid, in the Display menu pulldown, pressing "N" if the menu is not on screen. Blender can be a little daunting, in that it is a more complete working environment than Lightwave, so the configuration of what is on screen, menus, choices, etc. is a bit more complex, at least initially. You should see your textures on screen on your object, as expected. Now, to get them to show up in your render, (duh, I know?? there is another step??) go to your Properties window, Select the Materials icon at top, got to the Options section below and choose Face Textures. Now, go ahead and Render, should work fine. With every tool, there is a learning curve and an acclimation to the working paradigm of that particular software. Good luck. Here is an example of a quick test transfer from Lightwave to Blender to Render, so I could document the steps for you. I haven't even finished the texturing, so ignore the gaffs.
Paul
http://www.hartworks.net/blender/chameleon_blended.png

skywalker113
09-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Hello.

Thanks for the description. The model imports materials fine. Although it does not import textures. So I dont see anything in the textured solid view.

The uv maps have some problems. Theres always a little point that is coming out of each UV mapped mesh. Its connected to a bunch of polys which stretches the object to the edge of the grid.

skywalker113
09-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Alright, the uvs needed to be tripled, so there werent any 4+ polygons. I am able to get the object from lightwave into Blender, although the textures need to be reasigned. Im guessing Blender cant find the textures the object needs with its directories?

Also, im trying to get a car model in 3ds max with fbx, once I import it, all of the materials have a 100 percent specular value for some reason. How can I import the model with the same specular levels as in Lightwave?

paulhart
09-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Blender doesn't have the same set expectations about the structure of folders as Lightwave does, so you need to "re-connect" them in Blender. Regarding 4+ polygons. This is something that everybody bumps into. Asking for NGons etc. If you look carefully at any model with 4+ polygons, there is no logical way for a program to determine the "normal" of an ngon. It can even have difficulty with a non-planar quad. I only model with quads and tris. Sometimes, during the flurry of construction I will allow an NGon for a few iterations, but then I go back, exam the poly flow and break it down into quads. I try to use tris sparingly, tucking them into less obvious places.
I don't have a clue about the 3ds max problem.